PDA

View Full Version : Need networking help please

robwarrior
22-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Hi guys i would really like some help if any would please.

Umm where to start describing my problem? while i guess i would say its a network problem, or connectivity problem.

I can browse internet explorer fine (youtube , hotmail, banking) etc.. all works but i seem to be having real connectivity problems. For example i have trouble downloading quite a few programs, like malwarebytes or avg free and free microsoft anti virus.

I downloaded utorrent for company of heroes patches (since they are no longer hosted normally) and utorrent wont start downloading, same with 2 other torrent software i tried.
Firefox says problem loading page unable to connect so firefox dsnt work at all, when i launch steam i can view team fortress 2 servers in steam server browser but not ingame in tf2 they just wont show up. When i tried to connect to shogun 2 online it says something along the lines of empty server browser error, then when i tried to connect to my brothers game it said failed to connect. Also i tried to play dawn of war 2 online but in order to do that you need to login to windows live games which u guessed it said unable to connect.

I have an interesting error which might be of use. I downloaded pfportchecker and portforward static ip adress from www.portofward.com and i was able to setup a static ip adress but when i check to see if a port is open (6112 tcp) i get the messages:

external ip address: we were not able to determine your external ip

ping result: we were not able to ping your router

port check result: could not connect to portforward.com servers. Your port is not open or reachable.

I have tried removing and readding these progams as expceptions under windows firewall, i have tried turning windows firewall off, i have tried DMZ mode on my router (Linksys AG300), i have tried one free anti spyware program (which could not connect to the itnernet to update) didnt seem to find any viruses (my pc is about 3 and a half-4 months old) whichs makes me suspect it might not be viruses. I have tried disabling non microsoft startup programs.

If i go start cmd ping www.google.com i get a get reply, i also tried pinging my network card (loopback i think) 127.?.?.? (i cant remember the ip) i got a reply.

If i go to device manager under network adapter it is listed NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 mbps ethernet, under general this device is working proberly.

I do not think it is a router problem because you know how i said utorrent woudnt downlaod? while i tried installing it on my old pc connected to the same network and utorrent started working on that pc, also today my brother was able to play shogun 2 online from the same router with no setup.

I am hoping this is just internet settings misconfigured and not a corrupt windows install because my windows install was rather difficult (also tf2 did work for a while but idk what happened). ty

Speedy Gonzales
22-05-2012, 06:38 PM
It sounds like this is a Nvidia based system? If Nvidia firewall aka activearmour firewall aka Nvidia / Forceware Network Access Manager is installed, uninstall it then reboot. It installs with chipset drivers (and will install if you dont do a custom install). Things may work properly then

robwarrior
22-05-2012, 08:18 PM
ok thanks i will try this and yes is amd nvidia rig

robwarrior
22-05-2012, 08:28 PM
i uninstalled forceware network access manager and still having same issue, im guessing not to install nvidia physix and nvidia drivers? thanks

Speedy Gonzales
22-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Did you reboot? No leave the Nvidia and physx drivers there. Theyre the video drivers. Click on the firewall icon in control panel. Does it say its using windows firewall? Are there any other firewalls installed (besides windows firewall)?

robwarrior
22-05-2012, 09:07 PM
i restarted my computer yes, yes windows firewall is on, i have tried turning it off too. As far as im aware its the only firewall running unless norton didnt uninstall properly but i cant find norton on my pc. I wish thinking maybe its some corrupt files in wondows?

Speedy Gonzales
22-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Run this, then reboot again. If nortons was on it (https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?lg=english&ct=united+states&docid=20080710133834EN&product=home&version=1&pvid=f-home)

robwarrior
22-05-2012, 09:29 PM
when i click to download the norton removed it says internet explorer cannot display this webpage, maybe ill get it from my other pc via usb

robwarrior
22-05-2012, 09:31 PM
hmm interesting i tried installing norton again so i could make sure it is probeply uninstalled and i got an error norton has stopped working propely, defeinitly something not right, a few programs seem to not want to instlal properly or connect

Speedy Gonzales
22-05-2012, 09:31 PM
Try the direct link then (ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe). This is to remove it. I wouldnt install it again. Use something better. Get teamviewer if you want. I could have a quick look at whats installed. Install it, then send the ID and password it gives you to me in a PM

robwarrior
22-05-2012, 11:03 PM
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDEEE its working now! norton must of been blocking my ports or not allowing acces. Damn norton is soo sh*t. Thank you soo much man i appreciate it i can play games now!

Speedy Gonzales
23-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Sweet, thats good to hear!

stratex5
23-05-2012, 08:30 AM
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDEEE its working now! norton must of been blocking my ports or not allowing acces. Damn norton is soo sh*t. Thank you soo much man i appreciate it i can play games now!

What great english you have!:D

Chilling_Silence
23-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Ditch Nortons, get yourself NOD32 Antivirus, your PC will thank you for it :)

trig42
23-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Glad it's fixed.
When I saw Norton referenced, I knew that would be the issue. Just as well Norton make a good removal tool for their own product.
+1 on NOD32.