PDA

View Full Version : Linux/Windows multi-boot and EasyBCD

Tony
21-05-2012, 09:03 PM
On this PC I have Win7, Win8, Vista and now Linux, all on different physical disks. Linux was the last one to be installed. Pre-Linux I had the "standard" windows multi-boot selection menu. However I couldn't get it to include Linux. The best I have managed is that when I boot, I get the Grub menu, with 3 options - Linux, Linux safe mode and windows. If I select windows I then get my original windows multi-boot menu.

This works, but it is untidy. I've tried to use EasyBCD to set up a Linux entry, but it won't work. I create a new entry and point it to the Linux partition, but when I boot and try to select that option, all I get is a black screen and a blinking cursor.

What I would like is to have just one menu, preferably not Grub, that gives me the three windows and Linux.

Anyone out there who can help?

johnd
21-05-2012, 09:45 PM
I don't think this is possible. GRUB will boot Linux directly but if you want to boot MS Windows you "chain load" - in other words GRUB passes the booting onto the Windows boot loader to do the job. You can start with the Windows boot loader first but this is not as easy.

pcuser42
21-05-2012, 10:14 PM
If you can get GRUB 2 installed onto the Linux partition and have that boot Linux, it should be easy to get EasyBCD chainloading that.

Tony
21-05-2012, 10:22 PM
If you can get GRUB 2 installed onto the Linux partition and have that boot Linux, it should be easy to get EasyBCD chainloading that.This is PCLinuxOS, and if I understand it correctly (and it is entirely possible that I don't), it uses Grub, not Grub2.

johnd
21-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Yes. Process would be something like grub-install /dev/sda5 or whatever your Linux partition is. Then it should be able to be chain loaded from EasyBCD

Tony
22-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Yes. Process would be something like grub-install /dev/sda5 or whatever your Linux partition is. Then it should be able to be chain loaded from EasyBCDI'm grateful for the advice, but as a total Linux noob, that means nothing to me.:confused:

fred_fish
22-05-2012, 01:29 PM
It means install grub to the partition, not the MBR, then EasyBCD 'should' be able to chainload it - but that is a "Windows" issue ... :)

Tony
22-05-2012, 03:12 PM
It means install grub to the partition, not the MBR, then EasyBCD 'should' be able to chainload it - but that is a "Windows" issue ... :)I'm dead ignorant about Linux. How do I "install grub to the partition"?

fred_fish
22-05-2012, 03:22 PM
as root:
grub-install /dev/sdc1 or whatever disk/partition is your PCLOS '/' partition.

pcuser42
22-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Or from what I understand, open a Terminal (in Ubuntu at least you can press Ctrl+Alt+T), then type "sudo grub-install /dev/sdc1", replacing sdc1 with the drive and partition Linux is installed on. Then, in EasyBCD, add a Linux entry and select the same partition (it'll be the bigger of the two unlabelled ones in Windows).

HTH :)

Tony
22-05-2012, 04:11 PM
OK, I did the grub install thing, and added a new entry via EasyBCD. Now when I choose that option, I get a black screen, the word GRUB in the top left corner, plus a flashing cursor. Progress of a sort, I guess. :)

Pcuser42, if I am reading the info correctly, the appropriate partition is actually the middle sized partition, of three unlabelled ones. On a formerly empty 250g drive, I now have 3 partitions, which windows shows as 12.01g, healthy,active,primary, 3.90g healthy, primary and 216.97g healthy,primary. I believe Linux is installed on the first one.

pcuser42
22-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Pcuser42, if I am reading the info correctly, the appropriate partition is actually the middle sized partition, of three unlabelled ones. On a formerly empty 250g drive, I now have 3 partitions, which windows shows as 12.01g, healthy,active,primary, 3.90g healthy, primary and 216.97g healthy,primary. I believe Linux is installed on the first one.

...oops. Was basing that on my partition layout, which has just the main Linux partition plus swap (and several other NTFS partitions).

Tony
22-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Hey, no problem That was more a "am I right?" response rather than anything else. :)

mikebartnz
22-05-2012, 08:16 PM
I'm dead ignorant about Linux. How do I "install grub to the partition"?
Your best way is doing it through Configure your computer/Boot/Set up Boot system.