PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Problem

tuiruru
21-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Hi

Apaarently my hearing is not as good as it should be, and if SWMBO and I are sat on the setee watching the TV our "preferred volumes" are different.

Somebody told me that you can get some sort of headphone set where tha "base" will plug into th"audio out" sockets and transmit it to headphones that have their own volume control (SWMBO can have her own volume), and when you've finished using the headset you put them back on the base and they re-charge.

So what I'm interested in is what's available and which make (with prices) would be the most preferred. Like all these things, cos I don't know what to ask, it would be appreciated if you can point out the "fish hooks", the +'s and -'s and a reliable supplier.

Thanks

Trev
21-05-2012, 07:37 PM
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?124647-Wireless-headphones-to-listen-to-TV
:)

tuiruru
21-05-2012, 07:58 PM
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?124647-Wireless-headphones-to-listen-to-TV
:)

Thanks for that Trev - it's just I was hoping to get a bit more technical info to look out for than on that thread......

stratex5
21-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Have a look at this ( http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/tv-and-movies.php).:)

Hope it helps.

tuiruru
21-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Have a look at this ( http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/tv-and-movies.php).:)

Hope it helps.

Thanks for that Strat - some interesting considerations in there

BBCmicro
22-05-2012, 10:30 AM
can point out the "fish hooks",
It's possible that plugging in the base unit will cut the TV's speakers. So your wife will need a headset too - and does the base unit connect to more than one headset?

In my case I (partly) solve the volume problem by turning off the subwoofer on certain progs, allowing the volume to be set a bit higher

tuiruru
22-05-2012, 01:27 PM
It's possible that plugging in the base unit will cut the TV's speakers. So your wife will need a headset too - and does the base unit connect to more than one headset?

In my case I (partly) solve the volume problem by turning off the subwoofer on certain progs, allowing the volume to be set a bit higher

That's a good point beeb. The person who told me about this reckoned the headphones would have their own volume control on and the TV remote would still work for the wife.... But I'll watch out for that - thanks

inphinity
22-05-2012, 02:04 PM
That's a good point beeb. The person who told me about this reckoned the headphones would have their own volume control on and the TV remote would still work for the wife.... But I'll watch out for that - thanks

This depends as much on the TV as on the headphones - some TVs will cut their internal speaker when an external audio device is connected, some won't, and some will let you decide.

Lurking
22-05-2012, 02:44 PM
tuiruru, I digress:

Wife born deaf in one ear and had a virus which caused her good ear to lose hearing, so she had to have a hearing aid.

My two hearing aids have just been replaced thanks to war pensions.

Wife can hear tv on volume 16, whereas I needed it up to 18/19 and she complains it's too loud.

Had mine with a program button installed, so I can now push the button to sync with wife's 16 volume.

Isn't technology wonderful in this day and age.

Lurking.

CliveM
22-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Sony put out 3 wireless models which will do what you require @ $1,2 &300. As pointed out above the TV set itself will dictate just how it will allow you to connect an external headset and still hear sound via its speakers or not. My Sony Bravia is ok with it so I would expect most recent TV sets to also do so.

tuiruru
22-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Sony put out 3 wireless models which will do what you require @ $1,2 &300. As pointed out above the TV set itself will dictate just how it will allow you to connect an external headset and still hear sound via its speakers or not. My Sony Bravia is ok with it so I would expect most recent TV sets to also do so.

The person who told me about this mentioned Sony. As for the TV - it's a 21" CRT that must be at least 10 years old (SWMBO bought it in Woolworths of all places it's an S&V 2199).

CliveM
22-05-2012, 08:42 PM
The person who told me about this mentioned Sony. As for the TV - it's a 21" CRT that must be at least 10 years old (SWMBO bought it in Woolworths of all places it's an S&V 2199).

Does it have either a line out jack (takes usual stereo plug) or a red and a white line out / record out jacks?
It must have one or the other to use a Sony headset. If it is a stereo jack try plugging one in to see if the TV speakers still work if they do not you will not achieve what you want. If it has the red and white rec/line out jacks you should be ok.
Incidentally thanks for starting this thread I have the same problem as you and you have pointed me towards a possible solution :)

tuiruru
23-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Does it have either a line out jack (takes usual stereo plug) or a red and a white line out / record out jacks?
It must have one or the other to use a Sony headset. If it is a stereo jack try plugging one in to see if the TV speakers still work if they do not you will not achieve what you want. If it has the red and white rec/line out jacks you should be ok.
Incidentally thanks for starting this thread I have the same problem as you and you have pointed me towards a possible solution :)

Thanks for that Clive. There are 6 sockets on the back - two lots of red white and yellow. both have cables in - one set coming from the MySky box and the other (labeled "out', leading back to the video recorder to a SARC (?) socket. When I pull these out the sound to the TV drops off a bit. It's all a bit of a pigs ear back there in a dark orner (the so called "Sky Technician" whom we've had on a number of occasions seems as mystified by it all as us). I'll have to pull it al out again and have a look.

CliveM
23-05-2012, 11:51 AM
The red & white out sockets should do the trick. I stand to be corrected but those are the left and right audio channels and the yellow one is video. Of course if you elect to use them for a wireless headset you will not be able to record tv at the same time. More recent tv models usually have connections available for Xbox, play station or the like as well as those like yours which were provided to hook up a recorder so that is not a problem.

tuiruru
23-05-2012, 05:26 PM
The red & white out sockets should do the trick. I stand to be corrected but those are the left and right audio channels and the yellow one is video. Of course if you elect to use them for a wireless headset you will not be able to record tv at the same time. More recent tv models usually have connections available for Xbox, play station or the like as well as those like yours which were provided to hook up a recorder so that is not a problem.

Thanks Clive

dugimodo
23-05-2012, 05:41 PM
If you don't want to unplug them the Video should also have an output you can use that will pass through whatever it's currently set to record (providing it's on and no need to actually record anything just select the appropriate input)
It might be in the same cable that's plugged into the TV or you might need another. SCART cables have a large rectagular plug on one end and a bunch of plugs on the other and come in a few variations depending what inputs/outputs the device suppports.