PDA

View Full Version : Linux noob questions

Tony
20-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Those of you who have been paying attention will know that after a lot of discussion and moaning and groaning, I downloaded and installed PCLinuxOS. All in all it has been a much better experience than in my previous attempts at Linux. I'm still paddling hard trying to keep the head above water, and there are some questions:

Multi-booting. After a fair amount of messing around, I have the PC booting into Grub, which has options of Linux and Windows, which then takes me to the "standard" Windows options of Win7, Vista and Win8 preview. That all works OK, but I would prefer to just have one menu, preferably not Grub. I've been using EasyBCD in Win7, but I haven't been able to create a working Linux option. I create an entry, and point it to the Linux root partition, but when I boot and select it, all I get is a blank screen and a blinking cursor. Any ideas?

Modifying desktop background colour. I was told in another thread to right click on the desktop and select desktop settings. I don't see anything like that. I did some checking, and it looks like that works only with particular desktops. How else can I do it? I want a plain colour rather than the default brushed metal effect.

Sound card. I have no sound. I'm assuming I need to configure/install drivers for my Radeon 4850. I'm not sure how to do that under Linux.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mikebartnz
20-05-2012, 09:22 PM
1: Don't know about EasyBCD

2: Do you have Compiz running or Desktop effects. Are you using the KDE version of PCLinuxOS

3: If you run Synaptic and do a reload then install fglrx-control-center
I'm not sure if this will help your sound card but it will probably help your graphics card so try it then let us know.
Has the on-board sound been disabled in the Bios. You are not alone in not getting the sound working.

Tony
20-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Yes it is the KDE version. Don't know about the other two. How do I find out?

I'll check out the sound card stuff tomorrow.

Cheers.

mikebartnz
21-05-2012, 12:30 AM
Yes it is the KDE version. Don't know about the other two. How do I find out?

I'll check out the sound card stuff tomorrow.

Cheers.
To see if you are using Compiz Fusion click on the Configure your computer icon and choose Hardware/Configure 3D desktop effects.
I set Desktop effects here and it made no difference.
While you are on the Hardware page you will see Sound configuration there.

Tony
21-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Desktop effects: I have nothing like that under configure your computer. Under configure your desktop I can see "Desktop Effects", but there is nothing I can see in there that does what I want.

Sound: It has staggered into life. It was enabled in the BIOS. It may have always been working, as I discovered that the only way to hear anything is to turn the volume up to max on both the player and the physical speakers. Is this normal?

Agent_24
21-05-2012, 04:36 PM
I discovered that the only way to hear anything is to turn the volume up to max on both the player and the physical speakers. Is this normal?

Did you also check the main (system) volume control?

mikebartnz
21-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Desktop effects: I have nothing like that under configure your computer. Under configure your desktop I can see "Desktop Effects", but there is nothing I can see in there that does what I want.
Hardware/Configure 3D desktop effects.

mikebartnz
21-05-2012, 05:14 PM
as I discovered that the only way to hear anything is to turn the volume up to max on both the player and the physical speakers. Is this normal?
No. You wouldn't want to be around if I turned everything up full volume.

Tony
21-05-2012, 05:15 PM
I don't see that! See attachment.

Tony
21-05-2012, 05:18 PM
It's the usual good news/bad news. The good news is that the main volume control was turned right down. The bad news is that sound has disappeared completely again. I've been switching back and forth between Windows and Linux, so I don't know if the reboot has done anything. I'm in Linux atm, and I've checked the configuration and it looks OK (to my noob eyes).

mikebartnz
21-05-2012, 05:38 PM
I don't see that! See attachment.
I am fully up to date and have that option so I wonder if you did a full update via Synaptic if you would also get it.
Have you installed fglrx-control-center as you may not have that option because it doesn't recognize the full potential of your graphics card.

Can you show us an attachment of what you get when you right click on the desktop.

mikebartnz
21-05-2012, 05:41 PM
It's the usual good news/bad news. The good news is that the main volume control was turned right down. The bad news is that sound has disappeared completely again. I've been switching back and forth between Windows and Linux, so I don't know if the reboot has done anything. I'm in Linux atm, and I've checked the configuration and it looks OK (to my noob eyes).
It would be interesting to know if you loose it after a reboot from Windows as against a shut down/start up.

Tony
21-05-2012, 05:48 PM
It would be interesting to know if you loose it after a reboot from Windows as against a shut down/start up.Yes, I'll check that out.

Tony
21-05-2012, 05:53 PM
I am fully up to date and have that option so I wonder if you did a full update via Synaptic if you would also get it.
Have you installed fglrx-control-center as you may not have that option because it doesn't recognize the full potential of your graphics card.

Can you show us an attachment of what you get when you right click on the desktop.I had done the update thing, and specifically re-installed fglrx-control-center. I've attached the right-click menu.

Tony
21-05-2012, 05:57 PM
A cold start hasn't made any difference to the audio it still doesn't work.

mikebartnz
21-05-2012, 06:02 PM
I've attached the right-click menu.
It is Folder View Settings.
The interesting thing is on my setup if you right click on any other desktop than your first one it comes up as Desktop settings. I had never noticed that and when I was telling you I wasn't using my first desktop.
So go into there and change View/Wallpaper: from image to color.

Tony
21-05-2012, 06:09 PM
It is Folder View Settings.
The interesting thing is on my setup if you right click on any other desktop than your first one it comes up as Desktop settings. I had never noticed that and when I was telling you I wasn't using my first desktop.
So go into there and change View/Wallpaper: from image to color.Bingo! That did it. Certainly not the obvious choice for that operation, but we got there in the end. All I have to do now is sort out the sound...

Thanks for your help.

mikebartnz
21-05-2012, 06:11 PM
A cold start hasn't made any difference to the audio it still doesn't work.
I have a laptop to sort out for someone tonight but I will get back to you on that one as I have to scratch my head a few times to remember where I went one time to sort out a microphone problem.
Just remembered one thing. Try right clicking on the KMix sound icon in the taskbar on the right and choose restore then go to settings/Audio setup and check out the device preference page.

Tony
21-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Hey, there's no rush. I'm grateful for the help.

OK, will do. I'm back in windows atm, and fyi the sound is OK here, so it is not a hardware/connection issue.

Cato
21-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Are you using pulse audio?
If so Do you have pavucontol installed?
Makes life much easier as you can select which cards to output to.

Tony
21-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Just remembered one thing. Try right clicking on the KMix sound icon in the taskbar on the right and choose restore then go to settings/Audio setup and check out the device preference page.That seems to have sorted it. Once I got to the device preferences, almost everything was at the minimum. I played with the settings and eventually it came right. It's the usual story - once you know where to look, it is easy.

Thanks again. I might start another thread just about the boot menu thing.

Tony
21-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Are you using pulse audio?
If so Do you have pavucontol installed?
Makes life much easier as you can select which cards to output to.I did have pulse audio enabled (by default). I installed pavucintrol. When I try to execute it, I get the message "connection failed - connection refused." However it is no biggie, as everything seems to be working anyway, as per earlier post.

Thanks.

mikebartnz
21-05-2012, 08:18 PM
When I try to execute it, I get the message "connection failed - connection refused."
Might need to be run with root privileges.

Tony
21-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Might need to be run with root privileges.I logged on as root and got the same message. As I said, it's no big deal, although I'd like to know what is happening just to satisfy my inner geek. :)

mikebartnz
21-05-2012, 10:09 PM
I logged on as root and got the same message. As I said, it's no big deal, although I'd like to know what is happening just to satisfy my inner geek. :)
Rather than logging in as root it is better to use the Root Terminal.

Tony
21-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Rather than logging in as root it is better to use the Root Terminal.How do I do that? Remember I'm a baby at this! However I have set up Thunderbird and got your reply that way rather than having to go back into Windows, so I'm making progress.

mikebartnz
21-05-2012, 10:54 PM
How do I do that? Remember I'm a baby at this! However I have set up Thunderbird and got your reply that way rather than having to go back into Windows, so I'm making progress.
Using the PC button go to More Applications/Terminals/Root Terminal or you can edit a menu item so that it will use root permission.

There is a way of making Thunderbird in Windows and PCLinuxOS use the same profile so that you see the same in both.

Tony
21-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Thanks. I'll check that profile thing out.

Agent_24
21-05-2012, 11:32 PM
There is a way of making Thunderbird in Windows and PCLinuxOS use the same profile so that you see the same in both.

That would only work if the email account supported IMAP though, right?

fred_fish
21-05-2012, 11:45 PM
That would only work if the email account supported IMAP though, right?
No. Just make sure your Win partition is mounted somewhere (usually /media/windows or such), and read/write for your user, and point Tbird to the Win profile.
It would also pay to check for any differences in the respective Tbird versions.

mikebartnz
21-05-2012, 11:49 PM
No. Just make sure your Win partition is mounted somewhere, (and read/write for your user) and point Tbird to the Win profile.
It would also pay to check for any differences in the respective Tbird versions.
:thumbs:Where is that +1 icon.

Tony
22-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Using the PC button go to More Applications/Terminals/Root Terminal or you can edit a menu item so that it will use root permission.All I see there is Konsole and Xterm. Also, I don't understand "edit a menu item so that it will use root permission."

fred_fish
22-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Open a terminal (either Konsole or Xterm - whichever you prefer).
Type 'su'
enter your root password.
Prompt changes from $ to # and you are now the 'root user'.
Do stuff needing root priv's.
Type 'exit'
Prompt changes from # to $ and you are now 'you' again.

For gui apps as root, it used to be 'kdesu appname' but I think that changed in KDE4 (I haven't used KDE since 3.5).

Tony
22-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Open a terminal (either Konsole or Xterm - whichever you prefer).
Type 'su'
enter your root password.
Prompt changes from $ to # and you are now the 'root user'.
Do stuff needing root priv's.
Type 'exit'
Prompt changes from # to $ and you are now 'you' again.

For gui apps as root, it used to be 'kdesu appname' but I think that changed in KDE4 (I haven't used KDE since 3.5).Interesting. I type "su" [RETURN], and get the "password" prompt, but thereafter it won't accept any input.

Also interesting - the last line quoted above "For gui apps...." doesn't appear in the original post in my browser, and only shows up when I "reply with quote".:confused:

Ha! I think I must have just "replied with quote" at the exact time the post was being edited, as it now shows up with the Last edited tag.

fred_fish
22-05-2012, 02:31 PM
It won't show any characters, but it should certainly be accepting what you type.

Tony
22-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Using the PC button go to More Applications/Terminals/Root Terminal or you can edit a menu item so that it will use root permission.

There is a way of making Thunderbird in Windows and PCLinuxOS use the same profile so that you see the same in both.I actually use Outlook in Windows, so I don't think that's going to happen. :)

mikebartnz
22-05-2012, 02:35 PM
All I see there is Konsole and Xterm. Also, I don't understand "edit a menu item so that it will use root permission."
If you right click on the PC button and choose edit application then choose the menu item you want to edit then go to the advanced page you can change the user to root.

Agent_24
22-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Interesting. I type "su" [RETURN], and get the "password" prompt, but thereafter it won't accept any input.
It does not show your password as asterisks since someone looking would then know your password length, making it much easier for them to guess\crack.

Tony
22-05-2012, 03:19 PM
It does not show your password as asterisks since someone looking would then know your password length, making it much easier for them to guess\crack.Right. When I actually typed the password and hit return it put me into root. Just confusing when I'm used to seeing asterisks or something - as in fact happens elsewhere when I'm being asked for the root password.

Tony
22-05-2012, 03:22 PM
If you right click on the PC button and choose edit application then choose the menu item you want to edit then go to the advanced page you can change the user to root.Right. Tried it and now I understand it. Thanks.

mikebartnz
22-05-2012, 08:57 PM
I actually use Outlook in Windows, so I don't think that's going to happen. :)
If you are a fFirefox user you can set that up in the same manner.