PDA

View Full Version : Front USB ports

rumpty
20-05-2012, 12:16 PM
I have just hooked up a front USB port cable to the USB MB header on my GA-M51GM motherboard, but it doesn't work in Windows XP. When a USB memory stick is plugged in to the front port, a message "USB device not recognised" comes up. Device Manager shows Unknown Device under the USB category. The same memory stick plugged into a rear port is recognised immediately.

The strange thing is that this new front USB port works fine in Linux, booted on the same computer.

Does this MB need a special Windows driver, or...

Speedy Gonzales
20-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Did you install the chipset drivers / SP3? Delete the USB entries under USB controllers in device manager then reboot. Then see if it works

Peter H
20-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Have you tried it on the rear ports?

Speedy Gonzales
20-05-2012, 12:22 PM
And you sure you connected it to a USB header?? It looks like this mobo has firewire too. And connecting it to this will probably fry something

rumpty
20-05-2012, 12:40 PM
And you sure you connected it to a USB header?? It looks like this mobo has firewire too. And connecting it to this will probably fry something

I think it is connected to the right header. I mentioned that the front port works in Linux on the same MB.

It is WXP/SP3. I'll try deleting the USB ports.

rumpty
20-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Deleting the USB device and then rebooting just brought back the same situation. I did install the chipset drivers ages ago. Something must be lacking regarding Windows and/or Motherboard though.

Agent_24
20-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Check the DATA lines to the USB ports are around the right way.

One case I bought, the idiots had wired the cables in the plug backwards.

The other problem which it can be, is when a cheap case uses long and unshielded wires for the front USB ports. These typically are rubbish for signal quality and bus-powered devices and especially USB flash drives etc will not work reliably..

If the wires look like a standard flat ribbon cable like an IDE cable they could well be just plain crap and be causing your problems.

rumpty
20-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the thoughts, Agent_24. I guess the data lines must be round the right way, because it works on Linux on the same computer as the Windows installation.

The wiring to the front USB sockets is indeed a flat cable, so that may need to be looked at. Best if they are twisted pairs?

Agent_24
21-05-2012, 12:18 AM
The wiring to the front USB sockets is indeed a flat cable, so that may need to be looked at. Best if they are twisted pairs?

Yes, they could well be the problem. I have personally never had consistent results with flat unshielded cables and USB ports. Seems odd that it works in Linux for you though, perhaps it's aware of an issue and running at a slower rate or something.

I believe the decent ones will be twisted pair and shielded, such as the ones used on this:

21-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Since it works in Lin, It should just work in Win, I used to have a couple of similar motherboards, pretty bog standard
Try downloading new chipset drivers fom Nvidia.

Sometimes, the 'front' USB ports are USB1, while rear are full USB2 . Front port can be problematic , often the cables
or fr connector dont work or get flaky. Ive even seen fr connectors blow a brand new Ipod :eek:

dugimodo
21-05-2012, 11:22 AM
USB ports on some older motherboards had a different pinout which is why old cases had the front cables as indivdual pin sockets rater than a multipin plug, usually when things get blown up it's because a standard USB case cable has been plugged into a non-standard MB header. I blew up 2 flash drives like this.

As to the OP it seems like it must be a driver issue if it works in linux.

Speedy Gonzales
21-05-2012, 11:37 AM
You could try one / or all of the fixits in post 5 (http://www.techimo.com/forum/technical-support/181861-usb-ports-stopped-working-completely.html)

rumpty
21-05-2012, 10:07 PM
It looks like the front USB port problem is definitely with the cabling. I found some front ports, plus wiring, twisted pair, in an old box, so tried them in the computer, and there is nothing wrong in Windows now. The USB memory stick is now promptly found and identified.

I said that the "faulty" flat cable works in Linux, and it does, but takes about 5 seconds to find the USB stick, whereas on the twisted pair cable it is found in not much more than 1 second.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone.

Agent_24, do you know where I could buy a front panel with USB ports and wiring, like the one you pictured?

Agent_24
21-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Agent_24, do you know where I could buy a front panel with USB ports and wiring, like the one you pictured?

Not really sure as I've never bought one like that. Trademe or eBay is probably a good place to start though.

Card readers that mount in a 3.5" bay usually have one or more USB ports in them, and multifunction devices such as this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/peripherals/other/auction-476655970.htm

Otherwise, if you're handy with a soldering iron and such, you could always replace the dodgy cable on your current front ports with a proper one from ... somewhere.