PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Security Questions and looking for a Network Manager (Not IT Pro) package

AnokFero
19-05-2012, 07:22 PM
I'm not sure of the steps to take to make sure this is done right, fumbling around online I found a few steps to take to help but is this enough, and is there more to be done?

Changed Administration Password to the device.
WPA2-PSK enabled
Hidden Access Point
SSID has been changed
MAC Filtering enabled

And a backup of the current config is encrypted in a RAR file on my PC.

Network Manager:
I'm not even sure of the correct terminology to use here. I'm looking for [hopefully free] software in which will allow me to monitor the network connection, who's connected to it, if possible message services between those connections, and file sharing and any network diagnostics abilities.

I was using Network Magic before it was sold, however ... I need a legal way of using a software package similar to it as when it was sold it seems it wasn't maintained by the new owners and has very bad reviews.

Any suggestion on free or highly recommend despite price tag options from you guys?

lakewoodlady
19-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Is this the sort of thing you want? http://www.gargoyle-router.com/

LL

zqwerty
19-05-2012, 11:35 PM
WirelessNetworkWatcher1.45 is free and will show who is on your wireless network, unzip and run on desktop, no need to instal. Give it about 30 secs to scan which it does automatically or on request.

http://www.freewarefiles.com/Wireless-Network-Watcher_program_69372.html

AnokFero
19-05-2012, 11:43 PM
The Gargoyle looks like something I would need if I knew what I was doing, since I don't already have it, it's not likely I need it.

WirelessNetworkWatcher seems to be a cool utility that would be one step, thanks for the link.

I will look into it more when time is more friendly for me, currently I feel like it would take a bit to learn about the Gargoyle and a moment or two to utilities the utility provided by qwerty.

If others have more advice or tips, I would still love to hear, thanks for the previous posts too.