PDA

View Full Version : I want to upgade on older Acer desktop.

Bryan
19-05-2012, 06:13 PM
I have an Acerpower FH-R01-B4 desktop with an Acer E946GZ motherboard. This is a mini model.

As a project I would like to upgrade more modern offerings and have sourced the following from Ascent.

CPU: Socket FM1, AMD A4-3400 (2 core at 2700Mhz). I wondered about the A6-3500 (3 core at 2100Mhz). Which is better?

M/B: Socket FM1, Gigabyte GA-A75M-UD2H.

Power: Corsair Bldr 500w.

Ram: Corsair Vengence CMZ4GX 3M1A. 2x4 Gig.

This is my first attempt at build and I am uncertain of the above selection so can anyone offer advice or suggestions please?

Who supplies Thermal Paste, Ascent or does it come with the CPU?

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2012, 06:59 PM
The CPU may have some kind of thermal thing on it. Otherwise you'll have to buy some and apply it. Is the case Matx?? If its smaller the mobo may not fit.

stormdragon
19-05-2012, 07:17 PM
There is typically a thermal pad on the heatsink for the CPU.

As for advice:
Take it slow and make sure you do things right, if in doubt ask.
Make sure to line up the standoffs in the case with the holes in the motherboard and not have any extra standoffs that may short things out.

dugimodo
19-05-2012, 07:37 PM
How mini is it? I did a quick search on those model numbers and didn't turn up much.
Just be sure the case can fit the components you select. Some manufacturers use proprietary cases that don't fit standard hardware and some mini type cases while using standards stick to the smaller ones.

For example motherboards can typically be;
ATX - full size rectangular
Micro ATX - smaller squarer version missing the last few PCI/PCIe slots
ITX - much smaller square board with only 1 expansion slot
BTX - ITX with a 2nd expansion slot added (pretty rare)

Cases will support smaller standards but obviously not the other way around.
Power supplies also come in a standard or SFF size or a proprietary manufacturer shape & size.

If you google the standards you can get the dimensions and diagrams of the mounting holes fairly easily.

Iantech
19-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Does it have a standard size power supply in it, alot of those had a custom smaller power supply and a standard one doesnt fit in the case. Worth checking out first. Also check out the air flow on the case, some cases have little air flow options and while they are fine with the current cpu combo, upgrading and running a hotter cpu/graphics inside them can cause them to run hot (and even over heat) without good air flow through the case.

Also wondering why you are buying high-performance ram for such a low-performance build, it seems a bit of a waste to me.
Yes, there should be heat paste with your cpu, there should be a layer of it already on the heat sink.