PDA

View Full Version : Mini PC wont boot up properly/constantly shuts down

Chemical Ali
19-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Hi All

I have an Asus Eee Box EB1501 that has started shutting off as soon as it boots to the desktop. Very rarely it will stay on for 10 minutes before instantly shutting down without any warning. I suspected faulty RAM (has 2 1GB sticks) but is doing it on either RAM stick -is it possible both RAM sticks are faulty or something else like a power supply problem (this unit has an AC adaptor running off a minimal PSU).

PC is running Windows 7 Home Premium and it has an SSD in it that's relatively new so don't imagine its the problem - it's an OCZ Vertex 3 SSD for the record.

Cheers and thanks in advance

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Could be overheating. Will it boot into safe mode?

Chemical Ali
19-05-2012, 02:42 PM
I haven't tried that - currently I have the cover off and its still doing it. Fan whirs up very fast and loud for 20-odd seconds before settling down in terms of speed and noise. Still shutsdown after a minute or two though.

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Put a fan over it see if it shuts down then. I dont think faulty ram would shut it down. It would crash it after so long

Chemical Ali
19-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Just tried booting into safe mode (with networking) and it's sat happily on the desktop for 10 minutes now. So how do you think its overheating. Such a small case and with the cover off (and no apparent dust) I'm wondering where/how it could be overheating.

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Is it shutting down or rebooting all the time (when you try and boot into windows)? If its rebooting you may have a rootkit or a virus or something. Scan the hdd with something. If its still in safe mode

Chemical Ali
19-05-2012, 03:30 PM
It's not restarting itself just instantly shutting off.

It shut itself down instantly after about 15 minutes in Safe mode (with networking), restarted it again and as soon as it hit the desktop in Safe mode it shut down straight away. So faulty RAM, overheating, SSD issues???

It's cool to the touch and no obvious dust buildup so am rather mystified.

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Wouldnt be surprised if the SSD is the cause. OCZ arent the most reliable ones around. Is this it? (http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?90406-Random-Vertex-3-crash) I would update its firmware if its not up to date. Looks like its a common prob (http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=OCZ+Vertex+3+SSD+shuts+computer+down&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)

dugimodo
19-05-2012, 07:26 PM
I still wouldn't rule out overheating because it's behaving exactly like you'd expect if the CPU was getting too hot.
Get some monitoring software, either from your motherboard's website or a free one like Realtemp or speedfan, and see what temps they read. Failing that boot into the BIOS and see what the temps are there.

Most CPU's should idle in the 20-40 degree range and will shut down somewhere between 80 and 100. Another thing to look at in the BIOS is if it can set the shutdown temperature you could raise it slightly say from 80 to 90 and see if that makes a difference. If it does then you have a temp problem and need to sort it out.