PDA

View Full Version : best budget video card

Mike
19-05-2012, 08:28 AM
I'm looking for a new video card and wondering which is the best budget video card (yes I know I get what I pay for) :)

GeForce 210
GeForce GT 520
Radeon HD5450
Radeon HD6450

Are there any brands I should go for or stay away from? Looking at paying no more than ~$80

Cheers,
Mike.

Trev
19-05-2012, 08:34 AM
http://www.tomshardware.com/s/budget%20video%20card/
:)

Mike
19-05-2012, 08:40 AM
Also, is onboard video using CPU (i5) any good? better than a $80 video card? I don't really understand how that works :)

Edit - that would be Intel HD 2500 (if that means anything?)

Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Depends what video output you use (VGA, DVI, or HDMI). There's nothing wrong with using onboard video. It just saves you buying a videocard (if its onboard).

You can get a 210 for 51, 520 for 80, 5450 for 67-80, and a 6450 for 75 from Pbtech. Only reason I dont use Nvidia cards, their drivers are crap and crash too much. And the only reason I would get one is they support CUDA, ATI cards dont

Mike
19-05-2012, 09:58 AM
I'll be using DVI primarily and occasionally HDMI with the TV. the mobo I'm looking at has all three. I do play games, but wouldn't call myself a gamer. I'm leaning towards the 520, but not sure if its better or worse than the others.

A slightly different topic - does the HDMI on a graphic card (or onboard) supply audio if I plug it into my TV? Or will that depend on the card? Not a requirement, but might be nice to have :)

Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2012, 10:11 AM
HDMI does support video and audio. So, you wont need a separate cable for sound. All you need, is an HDMI cable to connect it from the card to the TV. If you install a card (with HDMI/VGA/DVI), on it, your mobo may have to have a SPDIF header on it (so, you can connect a wire from it to pins on the card). Otherwise you wont get sound. But others (like some ATI cards), have it onboard. So you dont need the wire.

Nothing wrong with DVI either. I use DVI on an HD monitor. I still get 1920*1080. But if I want sound, I need a 3.5mm audio cable. The monitor does have HDMI as well. But the Xbox is connected to the HDMI connection

Also, if the TV is 3D, and you want to use HDMI for 3D, the video card (has to support HDMI 1.4/1.4a I think it is - most are 1.3)

gary67
19-05-2012, 10:55 AM
I use a 6450 fanless I like but then I don't play games and it fitted my budget

ChazTheGeek
19-05-2012, 11:05 AM
I have a very good budget card the GT 520. I can play Rage, Skyrim, Burnout Paradise, Mass Effect 3 on the highest settings and Crysis on some medium and high graphics settings. Great card for the price!! No the best card in the world but probably the best budget card. Don't get a GeForce 210 or HD 5450
they have slower clock speeds. I've seen them preform and they are pretty bad. Yeah, get the GT 520. I am very happy with my one.

Iantech
19-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Based on my experience with graphic cards - and I seem to change quite a lot between ATI and NVIDIA, NVIDIA seem to have troublesome software but good hardware and ATI seem to have troublesome hardware but good software. Currently I have an ATI 6950 and also a NVIDIA 550 Ti and have swapped them out several times depending what I am doing. Despite the 6950 ranking miles above the 550 in terms of performance, it seems to be only just better (smoother) on any games I play, although seems to be a bit laggy to respond in some situations compared to the 550. So I have a bit of a trade off, smoother but laggy, or a little jerky but faster responce. I hope all this will be solved with a new card next month.

ANyway, I would select a card based on what you plan to do with it, not a lot going from your budget so either, maybe leaning slightly towards the GT520. I recommend you stay away from Sapphire and any card that says "FLEX".
As I said, my opinion only.

ChazTheGeek
19-05-2012, 11:27 AM
GT 520. It's also better than the 6450, the GT 520 has got higher clock speeds.

Mike
19-05-2012, 11:49 AM
OK thanks all - I had been leaning towards the GT520, so I think I might go with that :)

My TV isn't 3d :( but ah well - only wanted to connect to tv for occasional game, no movies or anything off the computer. Monitor is DVI or VGA only, no HDMI, but I'm currently running it at 1920x1080 on DVI so I'll stick with that. The HDMI would only be needed if I connect to the TV.

Thanks for your help :D

Mike.

ChazTheGeek
19-05-2012, 01:41 PM
That's ok.

Trev
19-05-2012, 01:51 PM
People make me laugh when they say they won't use Nvidia based cards because of bad drivers. I have been using Nvidia based cards since about 1998 and have never had any problems with them.

Slankydudl
19-05-2012, 06:44 PM
I dont use nvidia for mid range cards because they are too expensive for what you get.

dugimodo
19-05-2012, 07:01 PM
I'd try the onboard before buying anything, it may surprise you. My media machine did everything I wanted it to using the integrated HD3000 graphics on the i5. I changed to a 6450 only because when I got a new receiver with HDMI inputs the onboard wouldn't work with it, worked perfectly connected directly to the TV but that didn't suit me.

The 6450 is an excellent home theatre graphics card, especially the DDR5 version which can do full 3D no problems. I believe the 520 is more powerful for 3D gaming if that's a consideration and if it can be had at a similar or cheaper price then it's probably even better.

I don't put much stock in peoples claims about poor drivers with either Nvidia or ATI. Sure sometimes when a new card is released there are issues for a month or two, but it always gets sorted out in my experience. As long as you aren't buying something just released and use the latest drivers off the Net rather than the supplied disk I'm 95% certain you won't have driver issues. I happily buy whichever is currently the best deal but I do lean towards Nvidia for gaming because more games seem to favour it more often. I have a GTX580 in one machine and a HD6770 in the other and both are great cards.

ChazTheGeek
19-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Definitly right about no driver issues. My GT 520 has the latest drivers and had no trouble with it. If you want to play games well don't use onboard graphics.

icow
19-05-2012, 08:07 PM
People make me laugh when they say they won't use Nvidia based cards because of bad drivers. I have been using Nvidia based cards since about 1998 and have never had any problems with them.

+1

Typically both ati/amd and nvidia have solid drivers for all of their video cards. I would personally say that ati has more problems (though nvidia did have some drivers that made 590's catch on fire when oc'ed). I don't get why people go against nvidia or ati based on drivers.

ChazTheGeek
19-05-2012, 08:11 PM
+1

Iantech
19-05-2012, 08:35 PM
+1

I don't get why people go against nvidia or ati based on drivers.If you've had a bad experience with a particular brand, then you will go against it wont you, if you had a real **** run out of a compaq laptop, would you just go out and buy another or would you avoid them and buy a different brand.
And as the drivers are what drives the hardware, of course you are going to blame them. Just google "Nvidia pink screen", for example, its a issue that has been plaguing nvidia users for years. If I open my Nvidia control panel and click "view system information", for some reason it blue screens my system everytime with a fault in some nvidia dll file, did it on the last build and this one. In this case, there is nothing wrong with the drivers, just some intergration issues with their other software.

Trev
19-05-2012, 08:59 PM
When I first got this computer I was getting a pink screen about 3 or 4 times a day and the screen would go black and after it recovered a message popped up saying something about nvidia driver has recovered from something or another. Think this was caused by Flash Player. I still get this happening but maybe about once a fortnight if that. Playing games is no problem.

Iantech
19-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Thats interesting Trev, have you tried uninstalling Flash Player for a few weeks to see if it is that, or is it a programme that you use regularly so cant.

BBCmicro
19-05-2012, 09:30 PM
My recent experience:

5450 - fanless, cheap, good connections, but it didn't render various Adobe Premiere Pro effects when previewing

I changed to -

GT440 - fanless, expensive, more RAM, but slower on some things and I can't get it to render Skype properly (have to change to on-board)

I have a sneaking admiration for the 5450

Trev
19-05-2012, 09:31 PM
On the Nvidia forums alot of people are getting the same thing and it mostly happens when they are watching Youtube videos which uses Flash Player. Yes I watch a lot of youtube videos. Not a real problem though.

ChazTheGeek
19-05-2012, 09:34 PM
5450's aren't as good as the GT 520 and they are roughly the same price. GT 440 are not bad either.