PDA

View Full Version : Why do do some games crash while others don't???

ChazTheGeek
18-05-2012, 12:57 PM
I have Fallout 3 and it crashes while Skyrim doesn't crash. They both have huge maps and I can run Skyrim on ultra fine and it dosn't crash, and when running Fallout 3 on LOWEST graphics possible it still crashes. Why??:mad:

Speedy Gonzales
18-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Ones probably buggier than the other

pctek
18-05-2012, 01:33 PM
All depends on the crash. Check the errors if any, check the game companies forum on what others have done or if any patches and stuff for it.

DeSade
18-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Fallout 3 is quite a bit older than Skyrim, and the "Games for Windows" it uses has always been buggy as.
I have both games, post some detail of the crash and we might be able to troubleshoot it.

Greg
18-05-2012, 01:49 PM
As said, some are buggier than others. This is often caused when the game developers have given up on doing decent upgrades.

But there's so many other scenarios, eg, some require more PSU power, more GPU power, incompatibility with your current software, overheating from a particular game... the list goes on.

As also mentioned, best go to a website forum who support your particular game problem, and to keep it simple, I'd suggest don't mention the name of the "good" game which doesn't cause the crashes.

ChazTheGeek
18-05-2012, 02:13 PM
No there was no error report. I'll check some forums out.

dugimodo
18-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Forget the fact they are both games, asking why one piece of software crashes and another doesn't has an obvious answer - because they are different programs written by different people.

Metla
18-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Forget the fact they are both games, asking why one piece of software crashes and another doesn't has an obvious answer - because they are different programs written by different people.

Except they are similar games built by the same company....

Its fair to assume that both are built on the same game engine.

But, Both are known to be crash happy, so the question should probably be, Why is my Skyrim more stable then what other people have reported?

ChazTheGeek
18-05-2012, 05:00 PM
The game engine is probably the same as you can do the same things you can do in Skyrim. I think it's a fair bet that it is. It's layout is very familiar too.

ChazTheGeek
18-05-2012, 05:12 PM
I'll edit the .ini files and see what happens.....

Metla
20-05-2012, 02:48 PM
and?

I take it the edit was to restrict the amount of cores the game could access?

ChazTheGeek
20-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Yeah but it doesn't do anything different.

8ftmetalhaed
20-05-2012, 11:35 PM
are you running any mods? Crossfire? What are you doing when it crashes? or is it random?

ChazTheGeek
21-05-2012, 08:51 AM
No mods, No SLI/Crossfire. I just have the game open and I play for about a minute then it starts slowing and freezes then it crashes.
If you search on Tom's Hardware forum, lots of people have the same problem with fallout 3.

SolMiester
21-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Is that really a Raidmax PSU?, 420?, wonder what the efficiency is like with that, 75-80%....I wonder if the different GPU loads is enough to tip the system over with that PSU?

Chilling_Silence
21-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Is that really a Raidmax PSU?, 420?, wonder what the efficiency is like with that, 75-80%....I wonder if the different GPU loads is enough to tip the system over with that PSU?

I wondered that too, or if the card is overheating?

ChazTheGeek
21-05-2012, 12:42 PM
The game just crashes not the entire system. It runs off motherboard power and only requires a minimum of a 300W PSU, and it uses 29W.
I'll do some heat tests to see how hot gets.

Chilling_Silence
21-05-2012, 12:57 PM
OK right so no bluescreen or anything? When it drops back to Windows is there *any* error at all or does it just disappear? You said there's no windows error report, but what about anything else that might help?

SolMiester
21-05-2012, 03:10 PM
The game just crashes not the entire system. It runs off motherboard power and only requires a minimum of a 300W PSU, and it uses 29W.
I'll do some heat tests to see how hot gets.

So your GPU doesnt have a 4 pin molex or 6\8 pin PCIe 12v rail plug...Thats okay, it means that it gets all its power from the PCIe slot which is up to 75w...While it may only use 29w, the whole system will be using much more and I would be wary of that PSU...
Attached in a quick assessment of your power requirements, haven't added everything and cant find a GT520, however, it recommends 350w PSU, yours is a questionable 430w...

You might be ok, however, a game crashing back to the desktop, but not freezing, displaying game error message or BSOD is a good indication that you might not have enough juice on the 12v rail...
It may just be a driver issue, or game bug, but for me, it would be too close to leave out.....

ChazTheGeek
21-05-2012, 04:49 PM
No error reports. Just crashes to desktop. Other Fallout 3 users they seem to have to the same problems as me, just Google fallout 3 crashing.
I think the PSU is fine. Oh by the way where do you get that power calculator? It looks mighty helpful.

SolMiester
21-05-2012, 04:54 PM
No error reports. Just crashes to desktop. Other Fallout 3 users they seem to have to the same problems as me, just Google fallout 3 crashing.
I think the PSU is fine. Oh by the way where do you get that power calculator? It looks mighty helpful.

Just do a search on google for PSU calculator....there is a few of them out there!