PDA

View Full Version : Avast Free Edition ?????

Nhashon
18-05-2012, 11:11 AM
The website says avast free edition doesnt have these following features ,
SafeZone: Secures shopping & banking
Sandbox: Lets you surf the web virtually
Sandbox: Runs risky programs virtually
Firewall: Blocks hacker attacks
Firewall: Secures personal data
Firewall: Secures your identity

but after downloading it , these features are visible . Not only avast free edition , avg free editon , has similar saying like " NO FIREWALL " , but after downloading it , firewall is seen . Have a look at it , http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download. Whats your say ?????

inphinity
18-05-2012, 11:52 AM
The Free edition does not have those features. The Trial of IS does.

dugimodo
18-05-2012, 12:45 PM
What probably happened is when you installed the free edition it actually installed the full version as a 1 month trial and after that expires it'll give you the option to either buy it or disable the extra features. It's a marketing gimmick attempting to hook you on the extra features.

What I say though is use MSE and forget it, Avast and AVG are more intrusive and prone to installing crapware if you don't pay attention. I'd only use them if I couldn't use MSE for some reason.

Nhashon
18-05-2012, 02:48 PM
What probably happened is when you installed the free edition it actually installed the full version as a 1 month trial and after that expires it'll give you the option to either buy it or disable the extra features. It's a marketing gimmick attempting to hook you on the extra features.

What I say though is use MSE and forget it, Avast and AVG are more intrusive and prone to installing crapware if you don't pay attention. I'd only use them if I couldn't use MSE for some reason.

yeah , youre right , its as marketing gimmick . so does MSE has a firewall ?

gary67
18-05-2012, 03:15 PM
yeah , youre right , its as marketing gimmick . so does MSE has a firewall ?

No but windows itself does

ruup
18-05-2012, 05:04 PM
"Avast and AVG are more intrusive and prone to installing crapware if you don't pay attention" I seem to be missing some crapware on my Avast antivirus can you elaborate please? Also although Microsoft Security Essentials is good it can quickly be out of date, one of the things I really like about Avast is it updates far more regularly than Microsoft Security Essentials (must be the crapware that does it)

Cheers
ruup

lakewoodlady
18-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Excuse me, MSSE updates every day, same as the others you mention. And it doesn't need crapware to do it.

LL

dugimodo
18-05-2012, 05:16 PM
That was aimed at AVG mostly, I haven't installed Avast for almost a year so I can't claim to know what it includes these days. But I was referring to the web based scanning options that in my experince slow things down and make browsing less enjoyable, and I think AVG wanted to install a toolbar last time I tried it but I could be wrong there too. Maybe we can just pretend I didn't say anything about crapware and just go with MSE being less intrusive and more popular.

To be honest I just prefer MSE since switching to it and haven't bothered with the other free ones since. I did use both prior to MSE. As far as what does the best job it seems to change regularly but MSE always score well amongst the free ones tested in reviews I've seen.

Silly comment but I miss the Avast voice telling me the database has been updated occasionally.

ruup
18-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Hi,Yes MSSE updates daily,Avast updates when updates are available ie several times a day.

Cheers

Lurking
18-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Excuse me, MSSE updates every day, same as the others you mention. And it doesn't need crapware to do it.

LL

That's right LL, XP timed for 9am daily.

Speedy recommended unistalling Avast and this has certainly speeded up the boot-up time.

Lurking.

Iantech
18-05-2012, 05:47 PM
That was aimed at AVG mostly, I haven't installed Avast for almost a year so I can't claim to know what it includes these days. But I was referring to the web based scanning options that in my experince slow things down and make browsing less enjoyable, and I think AVG wanted to install a toolbar last time I tried it but I could be wrong there too. Maybe we can just pretend I didn't say anything about crapware and just go with MSE being less intrusive and more popular.

To be honest I just prefer MSE since switching to it and haven't bothered with the other free ones since. I did use both prior to MSE. As far as what does the best job it seems to change regularly but MSE always score well amongst the free ones tested in reviews I've seen.

Silly comment but I miss the Avast voice telling me the database has been updated occasionally.I havent installed since I dont know when, but I can tell you according to my books I've uninstalled it 8 times in the last fortnight lol. ah, that voice drives me insane when I hear it, nearly as bad as opening incredimail and everytime it says "WELCOME" loudly :D

lakewoodlady
18-05-2012, 06:21 PM
That's right LL, XP timed for 9am daily.

Speedy recommended unistalling Avast and this has certainly speeded up the boot-up time.

Lurking.

Thank you Lurking, nice to have some back up on that. MSSE updates on boot up on my machine, but causes no perfomance probs.

LL

R2x1
18-05-2012, 07:50 PM
MSSE is good enough that nobody can believe it came from Microsquish ;)

inphinity
18-05-2012, 09:40 PM
MSSE is good enough that nobody can believe it came from Microsquish ;)

Well, I'm pretty sure it came out of their takeover of Sybari ;)