PDA

View Full Version : Network ignorance

MPG
17-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Hi guys

I admit to complete ignorance of networking. Wife's desktop machine (an old one of mine) crashed recently when she was working on a Uni assignment. Fortunately everything was backed up so no lost data. Leant her my relatively new laptop (Probook 4520s) to tide her over. She likes it, so I bought a new Probook 4530s for myself as I need a laptop. We use the older laptop for emails but I now want to switch that function to the 4530s. Unfortunately it appears that the 4530s doesn't have an RJ11 plug or modem so I can't connect it to the landline. I didn't realise this at the time I purchased it - just assumed that I could plug it into the phone line. We haven't got broadband and that will be the case for the near future. I haven't got a network set up - all machines work independently. Is there any way that I can get to the internet from the 4530s via the 4520s? Both machines have Win 7 Pro installed.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Michael

Speedy Gonzales
17-05-2012, 11:17 AM
So youre on dialup now? With what a USB stick or something? Or a modem on the 4520? You'll have to use Ethernet or wireless. Thats if they'll work

stormdragon
17-05-2012, 11:51 AM
You could get an external modem like this (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=396512).

Chilling_Silence
17-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Yes if you have the 4520, you can do what's known as "Internet Connection Sharing". It can work by sharing it via either the ethernet connection, or via a wireless connection between the two (Which is ideal of course).

I would suggest a YouTube link but that's probably not going to work (Had to take the dig, sorry :p ), so try here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Using-ICS-Internet-Connection-Sharing

bevy121
17-05-2012, 12:02 PM
yea, but that external only has 1 port,(I think) - so same problem

You could use a "crossover" Ethernet cable

see this article here (http://jamus.co.nz/techthought/2009/07/18/crossover-networking/) for an explanation

stormdragon
17-05-2012, 12:31 PM
yea, but that external only has 1 port,(I think) - so same problem

see this article here (http://jamus.co.nz/techthought/2009/07/18/crossover-networking/) for an explanation

True should have clarified that it was meant as a solution for the new laptop, without connecting the old laptop having it on to share the network.

Chilling_Silence
17-05-2012, 12:44 PM

Exactly, which is why a Wifi connection between the two devices is probably ideal, means they're not required to be physically next to each other and there's no investment required in terms of a crossover cable :)

MPG
17-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Hi All

Thanks Speedy. Yes, currently on dialup using the modem in the 4520. My preferred option at this stage is wireless.

Thanks C-S. I don't mind a dig - I know I know nothing about this subject! I think what I am looking for is ICS. Had a look at the site you directed me to (thanks) and it looks pretty simple. Unfortunately I got confused fairly quickly. Get to the Network & Sharing Centre OK but it doesn't have "Manage Network Connections". The options I am offered are "View network status & tasks", "Connect to a network", "View network computers and devices" and "Add a wireless device to the network". I guess I don't want "Choose homegroup & sharing options". Help! I need small steps guys. As I said, I am totally ignorant of these matters.

Thanks for the help so far but I don't feel confident yet to take the plunge.
Michael

Speedy Gonzales
17-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Right mouse / properties on the modem icon in network connections. There should be a internet connection sharing option under one of the tabs. Tick the option

MPG
17-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Hi Guys

Thanks for the help. Something has just come up so I will have to put this task aside for the time being. Hope to get back to it either tomorrow or the weekend.

Michael :thanks

SolMiester
17-05-2012, 03:11 PM
I bought our auditor one of these the other day...
http://www.netcommwireless.com/product/3g/3gm1wn

Its a 3G router, thats very very simple to use!....

Chilling_Silence
17-05-2012, 03:15 PM
^^ Yeah I've used a similar model to that, slightly older but slightly more featured too, they're freakin *cool*!

pctek
17-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Um. Wifi plus dialup. Yuk.

Why not investigate other options? Woosh wireless perhaps?

Or if you must stay on dialup, get a USB dialup modem. K.I.S.S

SolMiester
17-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Um. Wifi plus dialup. Yuk.

Why not investigate other options? Woosh wireless perhaps?

Or if you must stay on dialup, get a USB dialup modem. K.I.S.S

Its not dial up, its 3G broadband....

You can actually get ADSL router that also have 3G as backup...I got one for some farmers last week, very expensive, Draytek, but its the bomb, VoIP, VPN, MIMO, ADSL, 3G.....

I pointed the Netcomm M1 as its so easy to setup and use!

bevy121
17-05-2012, 09:34 PM
The OP is using dialup and wants to connect both machines to the dialup connection.... that's what his original question still is.....

Chilling_Silence
18-05-2012, 09:14 AM
The OP is using dialup and wants to connect both machines to the dialup connection.... that's what his original question still is.....

That's what I thought too, coz that's why the RJ11 plug (Phone jack) was mentioned in relation to internet connectivity and not RJ45 (Ethernet).

bevy121
18-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Yes Chill - my thoughts too

Plus, he confirmed the dialup in a later post

Yes, currently on dialup using the modem in the 4520. My preferred option at this stage is wireless.