PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard has changed the shift 2 function @ to "

Advocar
16-05-2012, 10:50 AM
When i want to enter the shift 2 to insert @ character it puts a " character instead. I have not changed keyboard myself and have tested another keyboard and it is the same. Hiow do I reset keyboard?

inphinity
16-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Your input language / keyboard layout has been changed form US Standard to UK or something similar

gary67
16-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Your input language / keyboard layout has been changed form US Standard to UK or something similar

what he said, change it back in control panel-keyboard

Advocar
17-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Hi guys and girls, thanks for help. Yes Americian spelling helped but still issues. Used intell to search and provide options on driver updates to two usb controllers only as I found both items in yellow. Down loaded drivers as per my 64 bit win pro 7 and quess what. unable to install drivers as my pc not compatable. Only 4 months old so will pack it up and take it back to PC Tech next week. Watch for result

Speedy Gonzales
17-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Delete the entries then reboot. See if it works. It should load USB drivers for a keyboard

icow
17-05-2012, 10:44 PM
Yeah your keyboard has switch to the british layout. Go into control panel and remove british from the list of selected layouts.

gary67
18-05-2012, 08:26 AM
It's actually a pain in the arse, since I communicate with all my family in England I could do with a keyboard with the pound symbol. I'm thinking of getting one brought over by whoever visits next

Iantech
18-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Do it Gary, I bought a UK keyboard from ebay a couple of years ago when my other one gave out and got it sent out from the UK, it was a bit pricey, but well worth it for my use. handy having the and Alt Gr keys. I dont know why we just sell the US layout one here, we should have the option of both :)

mikebartnz
18-05-2012, 10:25 AM
In the old days of Dos it was easy just remapping a key so there must be something around to do the same. How often do you need to use these keys ` ~ ^

Speedy Gonzales
18-05-2012, 12:31 PM
You can press alt (hold alt down+0163), on the keypad, on a US keyboard to get the

gary67
18-05-2012, 01:26 PM
You can press alt (hold alt down+0163), on the keypad, on a US keyboard to get the

Yes but as a casual typist I can never remember shortcuts and since I use various computers around here not all in the same place putting up a shortcut list wouldn't work either SWMBO would pull them down as being unsightly.

So getting a couple of keyboards is a better bet for me

lakewoodlady
18-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Yes but as a casual typist I can never remember shortcuts and since I use various computers around here not all in the same place putting up a shortcut list wouldn't work either SWMBO would pull them down as being unsightly.

I keep the character map on my desktop, for quick access to symbols. You can find the one 5 rows down on the right hand side.

LL

R2x1
18-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Remove and bin any english made programs - some of them tend to assume you want a pom layout and destroy the usefulness of the machine.
They are a fairly ignorant mob, and their "programs" are best avoided. ;)

KarameaDave
19-05-2012, 02:24 PM
It's actually a pain in the arse, since I communicate with all my family in England I could do with a keyboard with the pound symbol. I'm thinking of getting one brought over by whoever visits next I think I've one somewhere you could have Gary.
I'll let you know when I'm at my storage next and I can look for it.

mikebartnz
19-05-2012, 02:52 PM

You can change the keyboard setting to reflect the English way. You will just have to remember what keys have changed.

Advocar
21-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Hi guys I took my desktop into PC Tect today monday. Initial comment was that service mgr had seen a virus cause usb not to work? but my usb ports where all working. It was that I couldnot download from Intell web site the usb win 7 driver so I could try to reinstall driver to see if that would change the state from yellow, not installed correctly to, to all ok. But intell said my pc didnot meet minimum requirements for their driver to work. I cannot confirm if my pc had the two usb driver displayed "yellow " since I purchased it in Jan however i use mouse, keyboard, backup hard drive via usb , printer vsd as I only went to look while starting to see why my boot up was slow, approx 2 4 min. I could still print etc

Any ideas how to deal with this as there is a service charge if it was a virus. I run a virus and it has not showed any issus after scanning.

Have any of you to help me deal with service issue