PDA

View Full Version : Big seass off Cape Horn

kenj
15-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Having just been on a cruise, I sure am glad the weather was better than this!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=T4FIS1FnOQg

Ken:horrified

Iantech
15-05-2012, 03:00 PM
wow, what a great piece of footage. Wouldnt like to be shooting it or in one of the boats, just about sea-sick looking at it. That lighthouse must be well built to take a pounding like that. :thumbs:

stu161204
15-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Having just been on a cruise, I sure am glad the weather was better than this!!!

Can I ask, where did you go? as we are looking at maybe doing a cruise

Iantech
15-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Not around Cape Horn though I hope stu, you just might need a sick bag :p

gary67
15-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Wow, I have sailed a Biscay storm but it's not as bad as that, and raced 14ft sailing dinghy's in a force 7 in the English channel

gary67
15-05-2012, 04:12 PM
I need a job wonder if they want a lighthouse keeper?

lakewoodlady
15-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Holy cr@p! That is terrifyingly awesome! Thanks kenj.

LL

WalOne
15-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Great footage! Real triple twirl technicolour yawn stuff ...

kenj
15-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Not around Cape Horn though I hope stu, you just might need a sick bag :p

We did a 15 day cruise... "Rhapsody of the Seas" - Singapore/Bali/Darwin/Cairns/Airlie Beach/Brisbane/Sydney. Our first cruise and enjoyed it very much. Had 5 days in Singapore and 5 days with little SWMBO and son in law in Sydney.

Highly reccommend it for a relaxing break where you can do as much or as little as you want.

Ken

lakewoodlady
15-05-2012, 08:59 PM
I'd love to go on a cruise! Maybe one day...........

LL

R2x1
15-05-2012, 09:41 PM
You'd have to concentrate to get through a game of billiards on a cruise around the Horn. Being sober probably wouldn't help much.

Trev
15-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Makes me seasick just watching it. Leaves the Berring sea in Deadliest Catch for dead.
:)

Bobh
15-05-2012, 10:00 PM
That fishing boat was bouncing around like a cork. Great footage there though.

WalOne
15-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Spirit of Adventure Trust used to occasionally show with their training films a late 1890's or early 1900's film of a tall ship rounding Cape Horn.

One of the amazing things about that footage was it was taken from the top of the main mast, and to get there, the film crew would have had to hoist close on half a ton of camera gear in those days. As well as themselves, of course.

From there, they shot their vessel making its way through massive seas, that at times swamped the entire deck and superstructure so all that was to be seen was ... ocean, with masts sticking out of it.

One of the diversions on the voyage was the Captain's Dog, a ferocious Foxy that enjoyed immunity from discipline by virtue of belonging to the Captain. The Captain's Dog had never been petted or comforted or any of the usual things. It without fail devoted its life to biting hands, nipping heels, and the crew reveled in the enjoyment that one of their number from time to time was able to administer a well aimed kick without being bitten in return, brought about. The crew hoped and prayed the Captain's Dog would fall overboard, and plotted how to bring that about.

The voyage ended safely for all concerned, including the Captain's Dog.

:2cents: