PDA

View Full Version : Broadband usage

Chris Randal
14-05-2012, 11:01 AM
My son plays Mindcraft online and has invited other users into his server.

Does that mean that those other users are using our broadband?

He also has this weird idea that Mindcraft online doesn't use our broadband when only he is using it - can somebody please disabuse him of this notion?

DeSade
14-05-2012, 11:07 AM
It means he is hosting the game, so while they are not directly using your bandwidth (connecting to your router) the server is using more bandwidth to accommodate the hosting than it would in just game mode.
And yes of course, all online games use bandwidth although not really enough that you need to monitor it unless your plan is very small. Most online games use very little.

Agent_24
14-05-2012, 11:33 AM
He also has this weird idea that Mindcraft online doesn't use our broadband when only he is using it - can somebody please disabuse him of this notion?

The single-player mode which does not connect to an internet server will not use the internet connection except when starting up the game to log in the account.

But if he was connected to a server somewhere on the internet then yes, it would use some data (probably not a lot though)

Chris Randal
14-05-2012, 11:50 AM
OK - I might change the modem password because we used 22GB on Saturday alone.

When I change the password and wireless devices try and log in does it prompt them to enter the new password?

I've forgotten - does the ethernet cable device require the new password as well?

DeSade
14-05-2012, 11:54 AM
There very little chance an online game could use 22GB on one day, even if it was acting as host.
I would be looking for another cause.

As an example, I play online games almost exclusively and I barely hit 5GB a month
This is like 6 hours per evening and most of the day on the weekends.

lakewoodlady
14-05-2012, 12:16 PM
When I change the password and wireless devices try and log in does it prompt them to enter the new password?

Yes.

LL

wainuitech
14-05-2012, 12:58 PM
There very little chance an online game could use 22GB on one day, even if it was acting as host.
I would be looking for another cause.

As an example, I play online games almost exclusively and I barely hit 5GB a month
This is like 6 hours per evening and most of the day on the weekends.x2 on all that :) My son plays mindcraft & runescape all the time, I have usage meter on his PC that logs everything. He knows its there and he also knows I will look at it at any time without warning. So if he turned it off and I know hes on his computer then there would be blank time periods and he had better have a damn good reason why.

Just looked and he was on it most of the weekend apart from when we went out, he used about 1.75GB and most of that was on a couple of programs he asked if he could download along with some updates that were available.

Chris Randal
14-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Something suspect here

I have a THOMSON TG585v7 wireless modem and tried changing the password.

I have the PSK code but I can't find the "administrator password" required to change the password.

Any ideas?

inphinity
14-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Have you ever known the admin password?

Chris Randal
14-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Have you ever known the admin password?

No

Agent_24
14-05-2012, 01:25 PM
I think with the Thomsons the default password\key is on a sticker on the bottom of the router.

Chris Randal
14-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Now I am getting:

The server dlsdevice.lan:80 requires username and password. The server says: Thomson Gateway

Have I ever said that I hate computers????

Chilling_Silence
14-05-2012, 01:30 PM
A few things here:
Minecraft is a bandwidth whore. While the previous comments are true for most games, because Minecraft is basically a dynamic world, all the blocks and things are generated / displayed on-the-fly, and it can RIP through the bandwidth. 22GB doesn't surprise me in the slightest though that's more likely if your son is playing online. Basically the slower upload of a DSL connection wouldn't be able to go through that much in a day.

Just to clarify:
If your son is playing on his own PC, by himself, not online, it won't use any data.
If he's playing online on an online server, it will use a fair amount of data.
If he's playing on a server he's setup at your house, he won't use any data, but his friends who are coming in over the internet will use quite a lot of data very quickly.

Check out http://canihostaminecraftserver.com and throw in to it that you have a 1mbps upload and it'll tell you that you can host a max of 3. It'll use somewhere around 250-300kbps per-client. So if your son has 3 friends all logging in to a server he's hosting at your house that'll go through roughly 750-900kbps (Lets round it to 100KB/sec) each way (Upload and download)
That's around 700-800MB an hour, and that doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

So again, as people have mentioned, most games that's what it'll be, but Minecraft is different from most games. See here:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/790875-excessively-high-data-usage/

Also, changing your router password won't stop the current server from operating, you'll need to kill the port forwards etc.
Tell your son to try something like minecraft.co.nz or nzbuild.co

Finally, if he's just playing online and not actually hosting it at your place, it'll likely only go through 1/3 as much data... But it'll still go through several hundred MB per-hour.

dugimodo
14-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Default user name and password for the router is admin, admin. that what you're after?

Slankydudl
14-05-2012, 05:32 PM
22gb a day cannot be explained by hosting a server for minecraft. Some people i know were hosting a server and it has since grown relativly popular peaking at around 25 people a day and the server gets no where close to 22gb in a day.

Chilling_Silence
14-05-2012, 06:01 PM
There are different optimizations and things you can do though, but yeah I agree 22GB is possibly a bit high to be *just* minecraft, unless they've literally been playing from dawn until dusk...

14-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Prehaps there also been some movie downloads, game ISO downloads, watching movies etc online.
Perhaps P2P programs running constantly, any PC's left on all day ??
Or maybe 1 PC has a malware infection.

Agent_24
14-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Youtube can eat a lot of data if you're looking at it for hours

wainuitech
14-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Just doing a live actual test right now a of 5pm.

I ask my son to go online and play minescape ( that was hard :D) - give it hell, and record how much data it actually uses over a 30 minute period. Then x that by two will give you a rough hours usage.

When I mentioned the 22GB he just about fell off his chair laughing - no bloody way he said - you'd kill me if I used that much in a day.

Chilling_Silence
14-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Yeah I reckon he'll get through around 100-120MB in that half hour period, when you include both up & download, that's my guess.

stu161204
14-05-2012, 06:45 PM
When I mentioned the 22GB he just about fell off his chair laughing - no bloody way he said - you'd kill me if I used that much in a day.

haha, what a good son :)

wainuitech
14-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Well he hammered it for 30 minutes solid, took a reading on the usage meter before and after, and hammer it he did,:lol: opened and loaded multipliable worlds to start (as he put it, that uses lots more data) then gave it death lol.

The figures:

Basic figures first : 1024MB = 1 GB

After 30 minutes 60MB used (upload and download combined - its rounded up, it was actually 59.8MB))

60x2 =120MB (1 hour)

So even at a Time period of 24 hours non stop: 120MB x 24 Hrs = 2880MB

2880MB decided by 1024 (1 GB) = 2.81 GB

So even in 24 hours minescape on its own cant have used 22GB.

Even if it were acting as a server - generally upspeed is slower than download, so if he had 3 people using the PC as a server 1+3 Friends, it would only be 11.24GB and thats over 24 hours non stop.

There was something else sucking the usage to rank up 22GB.

stratex5
14-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Well said wainuitech:)

Chilling_Silence
14-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Cool so 120MB an hour, that's not as bad as it used to be by any stretch. It would previously go through over double that a few versions back...

So it'll use a bit, but probably doesn't account for 3/4 of the usage that day realistically.

Chris Randal
14-05-2012, 07:44 PM
There was something else sucking the usage to rank up 22GB.

I agree but now I can't get into the modem to reset it. admin admin doesn't work.

Could Telecom help?

wainuitech
14-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Going from memory, the defaults are:

username = Administrator (with capital A) and password was blank, or Password

Agent_24
14-05-2012, 08:03 PM
My son plays Mindcraft online and has invited other users into his server.

I ask my son to go online and play minescape

For the record, it's called Minecraft :D

stratex5
14-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Telecom will give you the admin password for your modem

Chris Randal
15-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Many thanks for all your help, folks

A nice NZer from Telecom helped me fix it and told me how to change the password.

gary67
15-05-2012, 01:44 PM
opened and loaded multipliable worlds to start (as he put it, that uses lots more data) then gave it death lol.

How do you get to live in a Multipliable world? Is it better than Earth? and how pliable is it can you bend it in your hands?

Chilling_Silence
15-05-2012, 02:17 PM
and how pliable is it can you bend it in your hands?

Most things require at least an Iron toolset or better, though you'll find Diamond works best ;)

dugimodo
15-05-2012, 03:30 PM
No diamond is no good for bending things, it's brittle and shatters. Stick with a vice and a big hammer.

Slankydudl
15-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Diamond is actually quite good at bending light.