PDA

View Full Version : What sector do you work in ?

globe
12-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Probably been done before but wondering what Area of work people who use this forum are in.

I'm in construction/engineering

I'm sure I've missed some in my poll but see how we go

plod
12-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Ink transfer

lakewoodlady
12-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Teaching olds to use computers, tablets, smartphones etc.

LL

gary67
12-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Ex construction, ex carpenter, ex joiner. No job at moment can't do physical work anymore and at mid 40's really hard to find anyone prepared to take on somebody without any experience in any other type of industry.

Not complaining I'm still better off than a lot of people, just wish I could find something

globe
12-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Ex construction, ex carpenter, ex joiner. No job at moment can't do physical work anymore and at mid 40's really hard to find anyone prepared to take on somebody without any experience in any other type of industry.

Not complaining I'm still better off than a lot of people, just wish I could find something

Thought of inspection work in cchurch? I'd have thought they'd be screaming out for those skills. I know a few who work down there, fly in fly out (so to speak)

lakewoodlady
12-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Teaching olds to use computers, tablets, smartphones etc.

LL

All voluntary, unpaid.

LL

QW.
12-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Does meat process worker count?

WalOne
12-05-2012, 10:58 PM
Does it matter? Seems pointless.

:confused:

Metla
12-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Does meat process worker count?

All work is worthy.

Metla
12-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Though for me, Im unemployed.

doh!

Damn principles.

plod
12-05-2012, 11:35 PM
Though for me, Im unemployed.

doh!

Damn principles.Hmm, Gary can't get a job, and you throw them away.

Metla
12-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Yeah, I'm a ****, On many levels.

pctek
13-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Less IT than I would have thought, being an IT forum.

Thought you were working at the moment Metla?

plod
13-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Less IT than I would have thought, being an IT forum.

Thought you were working at the moment Metla?I think that the majority here enjoy IT as an interest. Well that why I'm here. So not surprised there arent many IT workers here

The Error Guy
13-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Student, aspiring pilot and photographer/designer.

Maintaining an IT interest, since it's namely a "help" forum i'm not surprised a few of our old faithful regulars are the real geniuses that hold up the 99% of us with our PC problems

nedkelly
13-05-2012, 11:15 AM
I work on the Canon Helpdesk, but do IT on the side for personal and for family and friends.

Bobh
13-05-2012, 11:27 AM
No matter what occupation you are in there is a reliance on computers. Most of us are computer operators who tap away at the keyboard and when things go wrong we need to go somewhere for help. Most of us have a basic knowledge of what to do to remedy problems ourselves some of the time. Other times we need to consult with our peers, read books, find the solution on the internet or if all else fails take your computer to a technical person for them to fix.

This forum is good because you can share your computer problems and find a fix. :2cents:

plod
13-05-2012, 11:31 AM
I work on the Canon Helpdesk, but do IT on the side for personal and for family and friends.That's IT

SP8's
13-05-2012, 11:33 AM
I'm about identical to Gary ... without the building quals ... cabinetmaker/joiner with stuffed right hand and back. Still do a little in the workshop but some of the meds I'm on don't mix well with machinery that can take your hand off. Was making high end solid timber kitchens and one off furniture pieces until I had an "Oh F***" moment which ended that career path.

Always liked fiddling around with computers and recently did a polytech course to learn a bit more about software ... not much of it stuck unfortunately ... :lol:

Do a bit of repair work for friends & neighbours when their computers crash ...

One thing I will say ... This forum has saved my ar$e more than once and I am eternally grateful for the assistance of those who have pointed me in the right direction ... Wainui & Speedy automatically come to mind ... Thanks guys !!

globe
13-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Interesting that second most common group is none of the above,: thought I had covered the broad areas

Metla
13-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Thought you were working at the moment Metla?

We had a difference of opinion on what constitutes a safe site, And when the stakes are peoples lives that can be quite important.

I also took exception to being called a racist, a liar, and an accusation of taking money from the principal to "get them".

All in all, quite mad really.

I got out before I ended up in a hearing saying, Yeah, I could see that coming and thought at the time I should quit......

prefect
13-05-2012, 01:13 PM
We had a difference of opinion on what constitutes a safe site, And when the stakes are peoples lives that can be quite important.

I also took exception to being called a racist, a liar, and an accusation of taking money from the principal to "get them".

I got out before I ended up in a hearing saying, Yeah, I could see that coming and thought at the time I should quit......

That sucks, big companies only interested in cutting costs. If they have an OSH incident and get fines the insurance company pays.

Nomad
13-05-2012, 01:26 PM
I chose 2, doing a few papers at uni and before my other life. In finance. Non financial part of reporting.

Metla
13-05-2012, 01:30 PM
That sucks, big companies only interested in cutting costs. If they have an OSH incident and get fines the insurance company pays.

You can't insure against fines, Nor was it about cutting costs, It had more to do with effective leadership.

QW.
13-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Some employers are ******s to work for.

nedkelly
13-05-2012, 02:53 PM
That's IT

Oh true, nvm me its a weekend, brain does not work as well

Iantech
13-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Interesting that second most common group is none of the above,: thought I had covered the broad areasYeah, nah, you missed out the sex industry :p

And whats with the "i.T.", been hanging around Macs to long? Thought it was "IT" (or I.T. if you must) :D

gary67
13-05-2012, 07:08 PM

If your the safety officer it's your head on the block so I would have done the same, fair call on your part

paulw
13-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Telecommunications..

stratex5
13-05-2012, 08:56 PM
@The Error Guy
Why are you down for student and none of the above? I thought you can only vote once.

Renmoo
13-05-2012, 09:58 PM
@The Error Guy
Why are you down for student and none of the above? I thought you can only vote once.
You can vote for multiple options. E.g. an IT teacher + part time network administrator at the same school = Education + IT

stratex5
13-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Ohh sorry didnt realise. Now i see trev's pretty much got them all;)

Renmoo
13-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Ohh sorry didnt realise. Now i see trev's pretty much got them all;)
Omnipotent, I see :p