PDA

View Full Version : Firefox nagging to update to 12...Should I do it?

Billy T
11-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Hi Team

As above, I'm being nagged daily now, but need to know if upgrading will be a trouble-free exercise that won't interfere with any of my settings. I don't want to click yes and find that I have to spend hours sorting it out and getting things back to how I am accustomed to seeing them. So, does the update retain all present settings etc.

I gotta know,

before I say go.......

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :badpc:

pcuser42
11-05-2012, 10:41 PM
I say why not, I haven't had any trouble thus far. In fact I think my profile might still be the same one that's evolved since I started using Firefox :lol:

Winston001
11-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Well I have to go along with Billy's nervousness. I use a few add-ons and extensions but some of them have not worked since FF 4. Secure Login for example. I'm a more than a tad annoyed. Yes I know there are other add-ons but I tried a few and they were clunky or didn't work. So frankly, I'm not at all a fan of updating FF these days.

pcuser42
11-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Admittedly I do have a couple of addons that don't work, but they really add "nice-to-have" features and I can live without them - as long as Adblock works. :pOne other thing, updating Firefox 12 on Windows Vista and Windows 7 no longer requires a UAC prompt, the first stage of silent updates.

pctek
12-05-2012, 06:52 AM
If you don't want to then turn the updates off.

johcar
12-05-2012, 09:54 AM
If you are worried about addons breaking every time FF gets updated, perhaps an upgrade to Chrome is in order. I can't remember the last time an extension broke in Chrome (whereas that is one of the main reasons I dislike FF these days).

gary67
12-05-2012, 10:46 AM
If you are worried about addons breaking every time FF gets updated, perhaps an upgrade to Chrome is in order. I can't remember the last time an extension broke in Chrome (whereas that is one of the main reasons I dislike FF these days).

that's a bit of a retro step isn't it :devil

Peter H
12-05-2012, 12:09 PM
If it aint broke, why fix it?
Options - advanced - turn off auto notificatios etc.

GameJunkie
12-05-2012, 05:33 PM
im using v13b2 which is really good for me anyway, got 3 computers using it no troubles

Billy T
13-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Turned off the nag, I didn't know you could do that.

Interestingly, it was set to auto-update, but still chose to ask the question instead of just getting on with it.

Thanks for the advice, I'll stick with the unbroken version I already have.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)