PDA

View Full Version : Malwarebyte slow operating etc

effie c
11-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Hi,

For a long time I have,amoungst other anti nasties programs,used Malwarebytes,with good results,time about 1 1/2 hours one week doing a quick scan, and the second week, a deep scan.

The last month I have had to abort (their word ) as the time was 8 hours and still unfinished. This week I got to 12 hours and had processed 157,000 files out of 900,000 files and when I stopped the scan found no nasties had been found.

I uninstalled and redownloaded Malwarebytes, started a scan and got 150,000 files cleared in 4 hours, out of the 900000.

An email to Mawarebytes' help, suggested I run a file cleaner "oldtimer.Geek"---did that, although I use ccleaner once a week,but it cleaned a few files,ran a new scan, same result-and since have had no helpfull comments though they are trying, I hope :eek:

Now I am getting IP 195.206.252.164,was stopped by Malwarebytes.

Did a Google, which showed it came from Israel,

Question: how do I clean that I P and regain some semblence of speed? and can anyone advise as to what to do
:confused:

effie c

wainuitech
11-05-2012, 10:03 PM
You could try running Superantispyware, ( links in my sig) Malwarebytes is not as good as some think, it does miss lots. While super may or may not find other malware, it wont hurt to run it ( full scan mode)

Bobh
12-05-2012, 12:04 AM
I just downloaded Superantispyware. I am currently doing a full scan and so far it has found 140 cookies. Enough to fill my cookie jar. :D:thumbs:

effie c
12-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Hi,all,

Wainui,I run superantispyware each week ( from your sig) and yes it gets a few,each week,

Bobh,see above.

There is no other logical thing I can think of---late yesterday, I yet again uninstalled and cleaned the registry,ran deep check, yet again,got to 14000 odd in 4 hours,and aborted when I went to bed ;-)

A mate and I with very similar sized computers did a "latest up date for Malwarebytes"- he finished well inside 2 hours-mine was stopped by me after 140000 and aborted

Malwarebytes help stated that even then the time would never be equal,but all I want is to scan inside say 3 hours, and there appears no reason 12 hours plus happens

IP 195.206.252.164 pops up frequently during that scan,now and I assume it stops the scan from working.

This happened in the same scan last night,I did a Google and found that it originated in Israel--question" if so how do I get rid of that,wainui?

Anymore advice ---Please?

effie c

pctek
12-05-2012, 11:19 AM
If it's slow I run them in safe mode. All of them miss things sometimes, it's an ongoing war. Best to run as many as possible if yu suspect something, Malwarebytes, SAspyware, Spybot, HJT.
HJT first sometimes, it fnds things well.

Misty
22-05-2012, 09:26 PM
I have been running Superantispyware for some years now. Virtually every day there have been updates. However suddenly there have been none for at least a week - a worrying sign ! Surely there has not suddenly been a decrease in malware ???
Misty

Misty
22-05-2012, 09:35 PM

zqwerty
22-05-2012, 10:36 PM
http://www.majorgeeks.com/SUPERAntiSpyware_Database_Definitions_d6303.html

Misty
24-05-2012, 09:36 AM
I have just updated to version 5 (from 4.46.1000). Not sure if that's what you are suggesting zqwerty - but thanks in case !
Misty :-)

trig42
24-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Any scanner will be horribly slow if you have other real-time scanners running.
I only run MBAM when I know something is wrong, or Windows is behaving strange. I disable my AV and anything else (like Spybot/SAS) while runing the scan. An MBAM quick scan should really not take any more than 20 minutes. A full scan, maybe an hour, and that's ot even on a fast PC.

Always run CCleaner before a scan too - it is much faster if you don't have to scan all the Temp files.