PDA

View Full Version : Scortcut to Task Manager on XP without using the keyboard.

Paul.Cov
11-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Hi folks.

At work we have an XP machine dedicated to working on a single purpose piece of hardware.

It has a mini USB keyboard which intermittently stops responding. Unplugging and re-plugging the keyboard usually does NOT restore its functionality.
No error messages are produced during these episodes.

There is no room for a larger keyboard (so I haven't been able to experiment with other gear).

We've got the XP on-screen keyboard running at startup so that we can still enter info via mouse when the keyboard is not working, but it's way tedious.

This machine is never online or networked, and never will be, as a security policy to a) protect private info, and b) keep off malware.
The only removable media allowed to be attached is a) new USB media which we take from an unopened pack, or b) blank optical media, again for the above reasons.

However, the monkey who installed it had taken it to the hospital to demonstrate there before delivering it to us, and guess what... it came to us with the onboard and outdated AV having quarantined 3 different malware items. My concern is that there may be other malware still on there which is occasionally disrupting the KB, and potentially an ongoing threat to our data.

What I am wanting is a quick and easy way to get to Task Manager when the KB is not working. The on-screen keyboard does not respond to Ctrl-Alt-Del, so a pre-existing shortcut on the desktop to Task Manager would be appreciated, or one of those Start > Run > ControlPanelShortcut things would be great.

I suppose if I got Task Manager opened, and left open prior to the malfunction I'd be fine, but once at work the thought never hits me until the malfunction again strikes.

Can't seem to get to Task Manager via mouse using Start > Control Panel (unless I'm missing something). Device Manager Yes, Task Manager, No.

Thanks for any advice.

Steven
11-05-2012, 07:53 AM
Right click taskbar and select task manager

Paul.Cov
11-05-2012, 08:00 AM
Never heard of it, but thanks, I'll give it a go today (no XP at home here to experiment on, and my Win7 does nothing with a right-click).

CYaBro
11-05-2012, 09:14 AM
It's the same in all versions of windows.

inphinity
11-05-2012, 09:32 AM
All standard Windows editions (from 95 onwards) by default allow you to access Task Manager by right-clicking the task bar and selecting Task manager from the popup menu. However, this behaviour can be disabled with group/security policy.

CYaBro
11-05-2012, 10:44 AM
All standard Windows editions (from 95 onwards) by default allow you to access Task Manager by right-clicking the task bar and selecting Task manager from the popup menu. However, this behaviour can be disabled with group/security policy.

You will still see the menu listing for Task Manager, it will just be greyed out.

inphinity
11-05-2012, 11:27 AM
You will still see the menu listing for Task Manager, it will just be greyed out.

Not if the right-click functionality for the task bar has been completely disabled ;)

stratex5
11-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Then i guess if he is admin he could just re enable it.

Paul.Cov
11-05-2012, 07:44 PM
It's the same in all versions of windows.

Unbelievable! :waughh:
I'm a lefty, so I have primary and secondary bouse buttons reversed. Normally when I need to "right click" I do so correctly, regardless of whether it's a left click of my left hand at home,or a right click of the right hand on any other hardaware.

This morning I was guilty of right-clicking with my leftie configured mouse (ie primary mouse button), hence the opinion that it did nothing on Win7.:blush:

Anyway, as all you already know (except me), it works fine! Thanks to all.

Got the desired result at work, although Murphys Law... the keyboard didn't fail all day, so still no wiser about the original issue.

Thanks to all.