PDA

View Full Version : OOBE

30-10-2001, 01:36 AM
Anyone have any idea what is OOBE ? My flatmate computer got all the funny character in the OOBE floder and those things keep me from doing an installation of Win98SE over the old one. This is second time his computer fail to boot. Last time same thing happened and I had no choice but format the whole C:

Oh yeah, any idea how to del the whole folder in dos?

Also, his computer fail to get into windows as the Explorer corrupt or something. Then when i am trying to rename it by using command 'ren c:\explorer.exe explorer.old' (learn it from MSN), it said 'bad command or File not found'.

30-10-2001, 10:05 AM
Hi,
Get into DOS, and make sure your system PATH is pointing in the right direction, so type:

path=c:\windows\command

and press enter. This will point to the place DOS has to look for the programs, although I still don't think the 'ren' command will work, but I'm not sure.

Once this is done, you should be able to delete the annoying folder by using this command:

deltree c:\oobe

and press enter. For this to work properly you'll have to point directly at the suspect folder, so if its not at c:\oobe type in the folder where it is found. Don't name the file, just the folder. This should ask you if you want to delete the directory and everything in it, and press Y to do it.
Make sure thought that you've got the right directory and that you're not deleting anything else that you need!

I hope this helps.

Mike

30-10-2001, 11:33 AM
The REN command will work, however explorer.exe file is not found in root.
To get it to work, type the following without quotes

'cd\windows'
'ren explorer.exe explorer.old'

That will do it for you.