PDA

View Full Version : Telecom SMTP services down 6 hours and counting

AllanHall
07-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Is any any body else having issues with Telecoms SMTP.xtra.co.nz I am in New Plymouth Central City .

I rang telecom NZ this morning and as on hold for 1 hour (57 minutes to be exact ) ( shocking for business) Then after 30 minutes with a help tech ( um if you could call them that) The tell me they are going to send me to a higher level tech whom tells me after about 15 minutes that that have SMTP issues.

Ahhhhhhh why did I ever go back to telecom after 5 years away from them??????? I need my head read.

So it tool 1 hour and 45 minutes to get that information. Then all email sent today has not arrived, at the clients so i find out after making a few phone calls. So a warning it seems that if you sent email between 10 - 11 am with telecon. :devil NZ that that mail could well be lost.

Now Still no out going mail service and almost a full business day with out it. Losses are mounting staff cannot communicate with clients. :mad:

pctek
07-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Staff? You have a business and use an ISP smtp server? Why?

PENTIUM
07-05-2012, 05:56 PM
I have been having the same problem. Thanks pctek for the useful reply, but it sheds no light on the problem we are encountering.

fred_fish
07-05-2012, 06:05 PM
There is no light to shed, and nothing you can do but wait and hope.

Relying on an unreliable service for your business communications is not the best idea.

Since it has been farmed out to Yahoo! it has not even been up to the low bar of "consumer grade" email service.

Greven
07-05-2012, 06:26 PM
smtp.xtra.co.nz was down today, but send.xtra.co.nz was fine. A lot of my small business customers have their domain email with providers who don't offer anything other than unsecured, unauthenticated SMTP (which a lot of ISPs block, so their mail client is set to send through their ISP).

paulw
07-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Staff? You have a business and use an ISP smtp server? Why?

It effected everyone who went thru Xtra's SMTP server including our exchange server..

Greven
07-05-2012, 08:25 PM
why does your exchange server use Xtra SMTP?

fred_fish
07-05-2012, 08:38 PM
+1
If you are investing the resources to run a mail server (I suppose exchange qualifies?) why cripple it by relying on yahoo for smtp?

pctek
08-05-2012, 06:31 AM
A lot of my small business customers have their domain email with providers who don't offer anything other than unsecured, unauthenticated SMTP (which a lot of ISPs block, so their mail client is set to send through their ISP).

We offer authenticated smtp, or SSL smtp or both....
Even if the domain email doesn't - go to Gmail and use theirs instead. Then you still hvae the domain email address.

notechyet
08-05-2012, 07:59 AM
..why cripple it by relying on yahoo for smtp?
I noticed the problem too and had to send some emails through gmail.Though what if you don't want to do that with some email?

fred_fish
08-05-2012, 08:36 AM
There is no requirement to use an SMTP relay, as long as tou have a clean, static IP.

paulw
08-05-2012, 08:38 AM

Lets rephrase that. Anything that went thru Telecom. To Gmail and Orcon on port 587 all got the same message. Don't ask me how the bunnies that run our IT infrastructure where I work do this now as we are verboten to have anything to do with it.

Erayd
08-05-2012, 09:49 AM
There is no requirement to use an SMTP relay, as long as tou have a clean, static IP.Yeah there is, 'cause your nice shiny static IP will still be on blocklists like this (http://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/). While you can request delisting from Spamhaus PBL, not all lists are as easy to deal with, and you have to find them first.

While most do, some ISPs also don't have PTR records set for customer connections, and won't let you set them - this too can result in your messages being rejected or dropped as spam.

Edit: I should probably point out that I'm talking about typical supply-the-net-to-your-premises ISP address allocations here. The above doesn't include direct or delegated RIR assignments held by a customer, or allocations from a hosting provider / datacentre (although if you fall into this category, you'll still need to set a PTR record, but will generally have the access needed to do so).

Chilling_Silence
08-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Yeah many ISPs such as Orcon have their IPs intentionally listed on the PBL (Policy Black List) so that you can't just fire up a mail server and start emailing ...

fred_fish
08-05-2012, 05:34 PM
There is lots of talk about PTR records but I've found that very few SMTP servers actually enforce it.
A couple of the mail servers I run are on 'ordinary' static ip's with generic ptr's and do direct smtp delivery just fine.
It may add a couple of points to the spam score for those that use weighting systems, but that hasn't proved to be an issue for any of my systems (yet - it IS a constantly moving target :) ).
Having a resolvable MX matching the sending domain is much more critical, as is HELOing with a proper FQDN.

Greven
08-05-2012, 06:08 PM
We offer authenticated smtp, or SSL smtp or both....
Even if the domain email doesn't - go to Gmail and use theirs instead. Then you still have the domain email address.

I am not allowed to talk about Google Apps with my customers & most of them don't want to change anything unless they absolutely have to.

Erayd
08-05-2012, 06:40 PM
There is lots of talk about PTR records but I've found that very few SMTP servers actually enforce it.While most don't mind if the PTR and HELO don't match, many will care if the PTR record is absent entirely.

A couple of the mail servers I run are on 'ordinary' static ip's with generic ptr's and do direct smtp delivery just fine.
It may add a couple of points to the spam score for those that use weighting systems, but that hasn't proved to be an issue for any of my systems (yet - it IS a constantly moving target :) ).You're lucky - I've run into this a number of times, and depending on the customer's setup and who they're trying to mail it can be rather annoying to fix.

fred_fish
08-05-2012, 08:28 PM
While most don't mind if the PTR and HELO don't match, many will care if the PTR record is absent entirely.

You're lucky - I've run into this a number of times, and depending on the customer's setup and who they're trying to mail it can be rather annoying to fix.Yes, missing it entirely will pose a problem. My busiest one is on a static jetstream IP with the generic rev-ip-add-ress.adsl.xtra.co.nz PTR and has been for nearly ten years, with few issues.
There are a couple of hosts that have issues with it and I have some bogus MX entries in the local DNS to route those domains via a relay server, but on the whole, not as much hassle as I had expected.
One particularly funny case was when this particular client was a specified supplier on a reasonably sized tender and was supplying quotations to all the head contract tenderers by email, one of which was refusing connections from their mail server. With the deadline approaching, the tenderer phoned and was told what the issue was. Less than 10 mins later the mail went through. :)

paulw
10-05-2012, 04:06 PM
The last of our test mails we sent on Monday finally come thru this after noon..