PDA

View Full Version : Windows Phone 7 and Zune - Cannot load the drivers for this device

WalOne
06-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Error message I get is "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device". I've tried every remedy suggested (uninstall, reinstall, help desk, read forums, M$ Fixit) but I still can't find a solution. Without the driver, it appears I won't be able to manage media files to/from my PC. and I'm not able to set up a wifi transfer without the initial USB cable connection.

Does anybody have any experience with WP7 and Zune?

pcuser42
06-05-2012, 03:57 PM
I know Windows 7 automatically downloads Zune and Windows XP asks you to...

Tried removing the phone in Device Manager then plugging it back in?

stratex5
06-05-2012, 04:01 PM
So this is what youve got and doent work ( http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/howto/wp7/music/sync-files-with-my-phone.aspx)

WalOne
06-05-2012, 04:17 PM
pcuser42 and stratex5 - thanks guys. The phone came with Zune installed, and I downloaded it for my PC (running XP SP3). Both up to date. Referring to Q4 on your link above, stratex5, the phone icon will not connect me. As I said, I've tried everything I can think of...

stratex5
06-05-2012, 04:26 PM
in device manager right click the usb root hub then go to the power management tab and uncheck allow to sleep. try it or have you already done it?

stratex5
06-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Try my last comment but i just realised it was driver related. Why dont you get a driver finding program?

stratex5
06-05-2012, 04:38 PM
does this relate? (" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2410180)

WalOne
06-05-2012, 04:40 PM
pcuser42 and stratex5 - thanks guys. The phone came with Zune installed, and I downloaded it for my PC (running XP SP3). Both up to date. Referring to Q4 on your link above, stratex5, the phone icon will not connect me. As I said, I've tried everything I can think of...

stratex5
06-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Here are the error codes (" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953933)

stratex5
06-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Sorry some more ( http://forums.techarena.in/portable-devices/1404297.htm)

stratex5
06-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Here is the google link ( http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&redir_esc=&client=ms-android-hms-vf-nz&source=android-browser-type&v=133247963&qsubts=1336278648397&action=devloc&q=windows+phone+7+drivers+for+windows+7&v=133247963)

Sorry for all the links.;)

WalOne
06-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Tried this last fix as well (updating marketplace), but I still get "No device connected" from Zune ...

stratex5
06-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Is there an error code?

WalOne
06-05-2012, 05:55 PM
"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the device required for this device (Code 31)."

Thanks for your time and inputs :thanks

stratex5
06-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Have you tried this?

1. Click Start, right-click Computer, and then click Properties. (My Computer in Windows XP.) 2. Click Device Manager. (In Windows XP, this can be found under the Hardware tab.) 3. Expand Portable Devices. 4. Right-click your device and then click Uninstall. 5. If it is displayed, click to select Delete the driver software for this device and then click OK. 6. Click the root computer icon, and then click Scan for hardware changes on the Action menu. 7. Open Portable Devices, double-click your Windows Phone 7, and then click the Driver tab. 8. Click Update Driver. 9. Click Browse my computer for driver software. 10. Click Browse, locate the Program Files/Zune/Drivers folder on your computer, and then click OK. 11. Click Next and if you're prompted, click Install. 12. After the driver installation is complete, click Close two times to exit the Device Manager. If you're prompted to do this, restart your computer.

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Try this or run the fixit (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953933)

Or try the Win7 registry stuff

Windows 7 or Vista

Click Start , and then click All Programs.
Click Accessories, and then click Run.
Type regedit, and then click OK. If you're prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{EEC5AD98-8080-425F-922A-DABF3DE3F69A}
In the right pane, click UpperFilters.
Note: You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You don't have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you don't see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 8 in this section.
On the Edit menu, click Delete.
When you're prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
In the right pane, click LowerFilters.
Note: If you don't see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further.
On the Edit menu, click Delete.
When you're prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
Exit Registry Editor.
Restart your computer.

WalOne
06-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Stratex5 and Speedy, thanks for your efforts, but no joy on both counts.

BTW Speedy, I blew my PC upgrade budget on this Nokia Lumia 800 ... maybe there's a lesson there. :groan:

If all else fails, would you be available to do a diagnosis later in the week? :)

stratex5
06-05-2012, 07:29 PM
I dont think its your phone, I think its the software as I have seen a lot of complaints about this issue. How about doing a soft reset (i think its called).

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Did the fixit find any probs? Or tell you why its not working? Yup I can try and figure it out. Send me a txt when youre ready. What version of windows is it? Win7 as well?

stratex5
06-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Try this ( http://www.ehow.com/how_7424022_fix-code-31-errors.html)

stratex5
06-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Did you uninstall/reinstall zune

stratex5
06-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Did you download the software from here? ( http://www.nokia.com/nz-en/support/product/lumia800/downloads/)

WalOne
06-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Try this ( http://www.ehow.com/how_7424022_fix-code-31-errors.html)

Tried it, no worky.

I dont think its your phone, I think its the software as I have seen a lot of complaints about this issue. How about doing a soft reset (i think its called).

Me too, but not that many fixes that work. In fact, none I've seen.

Did the fixit find any probs? Or tell you why its not working? Yup I can try and figure it out. Send me a txt when youre ready. What version of windows is it? Win7 as well?

XP SP3 and Windows Phone 7 (WP7). M$ Fixit did not come up with any errors and, fixes. E-Mail sent to you, thanks. At this stage, I'll phone you late morning?

Did you uninstall/reinstall zune

Several times, thanks.

Did you download the software from here? ( http://www.nokia.com/nz-en/support/product/lumia800/downloads/)

Yup. By the book.

stratex5
06-05-2012, 09:27 PM
so when you plug in the phone nothing comes up except for failed drivers.

stratex5
06-05-2012, 09:30 PM
If you open zune before you plug in your phone then plug in your phone would that work or is there a tab in zune which is for drivers. My LG optimus p920 had the same problem until i found the driver install tab.

WalOne
07-05-2012, 09:49 AM
so when you plug in the phone nothing comes up except for failed drivers.

The phone and PC separately seem to be working OK, it's that they won't communicate to enable a sync function between the two. The condition is notified by a phone icon on the PC Zune home screen that is inactive, apart from displaying "No device connected" when the cursor passes over it.

The 'failed drivers' scenario only enters the fray when I'm troubleshooting why no device is connected. There is no advice as such until you get into the diagnostics.

If you open Zune before you plug in your phone then plug in your phone would that work

Nope, that doesn't work.

or is there a tab in zune which is for drivers. My LG optimus p920 had the same problem until i found the driver install tab.

There is no settings page I can see.

May be best to leave this meantime rather than spend too much more time and effort on it. Thanks for that. Speedy has said he'll look at both PC and phone for me later in the week.

:thanks

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2012, 09:55 AM
If youre plugging the Zune into a port, you're plugging it into a USB port, not a USB hub right?

WalOne
07-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Zune is software. As part of the troubleshooting, I've tried plugging the phone into a PC USB port - and a USB hub as well. Makes no difference.

Just saw your PM from last night, do you have time to look at this for me now? Use 1234.

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Your TV isnt running. The ID may have changed, if it is running. It says youre hosting a meeting? So I cant log in. Make sure yours is on remote control

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Just sent you an email Walone

stratex5
07-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Sorry unless you have fixed it here are my last two links: here ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2410180/en-us) and here ( http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp7-wpstart/windows-phone-7-is-not-detected-by-my-computer/1ca2972c-9ce5-4a82-a904-360bfeedd44c)

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Is there a USB sync option in the Lumia's options or something? You may have to change it if there is. I uninstalled / deleted its folder. Then reinstalled the Zune software. No go. The only thing that didnt work was windows 7 phone in device manager. The drivers installed, but after that it kept saying install the Zune software. It was installed already. And just went round in circles. Everytime it rebooted. I thought the install would tell you when to connect it, it didnt. It just installed the software

Only thing we didnt try was installing Nokia suite. To see what that would do. But the info I've read, it will detect the Lumia, but Zune wont. I didnt try this tho

STEP 1. make sure you use original samsung cable which came in the box. Or another cable - it maybe faulty

STEP 2. if the first step doesnt solve,

go to diagnostics screen, it is located in the second row of the main screen. pull that colorful main screen of your phone to the left with your fingertip, and you will see another row of functions and applications.

diagnostics screen is just a black colored numberpad. here you put "*#7284#" code without asterisk.

right then 3 modes of USB sync will appear. Choose "ZUNE SYNC" which is the first choice.

and plug your phone to your pc again. it will detect it normally and you can sync your phone with Zune

Or this

1. If it is running, close the Zune software and disconnect your phone.
2. Open Certificate Manager. To do this, click Start , type certmgr.msc , and press Enter .
3. Expand Personal , and then expand Certificates.
4. Click the heading for the Issued By column to sort the column, and then look for one or morecertificates that is issued to "zune-tuner://windowsphone/...".
5. Right-click that certificate and then click Delete . Click Yes .
6. From the File menu, click Exit .
7. Start the Zune software and connect your phone to create a new certificate.

And we didnt try another cable either. Or try it on another computer.

stratex5
07-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Im not trying to compete with you but im pretty sure the links i posted above are the same as your instrutions

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Yer thats where I pasted them from. The things we didnt try The first part, I tried using teamviewer. It didnt work. It just went round in circles

stratex5
07-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Ohh sorry, because i thought there was no point in having 2 posts exactly the same.

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2012, 08:52 PM
The only thing I pasted was the last bit. The first bit was what I tried it failed. The driver loaded but stuffed up when I selected cancel (after it said to install Zune software - it gave a link to Zune). Which was already installed

stratex5
07-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Ok sorry about that.