PDA

View Full Version : Installing Windows 8 Preview Problem

Bobh
05-05-2012, 04:20 PM
I have been trying to install Windows 8 Preview. I have created and ISO DVD and all goes well until I get to select the partition that I wish to install Windows 8 on for a dual boot with Windows 7. This partition has over 300 GB on it so space should not be a problem. The message that I get is;

Setup unable to use the existing partition because it does not contain the required free space.

My Windows 7 system is on a 120 GB SSD so partitioning off C: drive is not an option. I have created a 312 KB partition on another internal hard drive which the setup accuses of having insufficient space.

Has anybody had this same problem and solved it?

wainuitech
05-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Is that a typo 312KB ?
I was just reading an article in the PC & Tech Authority about upgrading and W8 was complaining about the same thing - it says the installer needs 20GB of free space.

stratex5
05-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Yeah youve got a little problem if its a 312KB partition for a 20 GB file.:D

Bobh
05-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Is that a typo 312KB ?
I was just reading an article in the PC & Tech Authority about upgrading and W8 was complaining about the same thing - it says the installer needs 20GB of free space.
Sorry it is a typo. I thought that I had proof read it. Delete 312 KB and insert 312 GB. Stupid me. :o

wainuitech
05-05-2012, 06:28 PM
when installing
Make sure when asked what kind of installation you want to select "Custom" and choose the new partition we just created At a guess It may be looking at another partition you have.

Follow through installing_windows_8_consumer_preview_in_dual-boot.cfm (http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/quick_guide_to_installing_windows_8_consumer_previ ew_in_dual-boot.cfm) Is that what you are doing, have done ?

Speedy Gonzales
05-05-2012, 06:28 PM
How many primary partitions are on the hdd? It looks like you can only have 3 (which includes the system reserved partition). If you have 4 (before installing Win8), it looks like you have to convert one of them to a logical partition

Increasing the System Reserved Partition may also fix it

Bobh
05-05-2012, 09:35 PM
I have no more than 2 primary partitions on each drive. I do have a total of 8 primary partitions on 4 hard drives.

How do you increase the system reserved partition?

Thanks in advance.