PDA

View Full Version : Retrieving work done on an open attachment (not saved to the desktop)

straka01
05-05-2012, 04:13 PM
My wife opened a large publisher file on an email attachment & proceded to modify it all morning.
Although she saved as she went along, little did she realise that it wasn't saving her changes.... or was it?

Now we're trying to see if there's a modified copy somewhere in it's memory.
Can anyone tell me if those changes could have been saved in some obscure region of it's innards?

If we could ressurrect them it would save her half a day's work....

Cheers:illogical

pctek
05-05-2012, 05:03 PM
If she saved, it probably is saved. In the tmp folder under her profile? Do a search for the file name or part of the filename.

Billy T
05-05-2012, 05:06 PM
If she was working on it, Excel must have been open in her computer, so 'save' should have stored it somewhere on disk, but I don't know where. Is it not in the 'recent files' list? She could search the whole computer for a word or phrase that was in it, but faster to look-see where it should logically be saved.

When this sort of thing happens to me (usually when a file is saved to an unrelated folder I had open at the time), I use ZTree to find the most recent file of that type (*.xls search in this case, then 'order by date') and wherever it is, I go to it, open and save to where I want it. The file can be anywhere and I've found them in all sorts of odd (to me) places. I use ZTree because it is super fast and reliable, I don't have much success with the native Windows search function.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

wainuitech
05-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Lesson 1 always save the file from email, you'd be surprised how many people try to alter documents still attached then it doesn't work.

Anyways -- What ever you do DONT run any sort of cleaner on the PC it will wipe it.

What version of Publisher do you have ? On 2010 you can click file / Recent, and it may be there. Other wise do a search for .pub or This Suggestion (http://www.office-forums.com/ms-publisher-backup-file-t120363.html) If you have 2010 its set to auto save every 10 minutes.

straka01
09-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Thanks everyone.
Yes it was saved & the normal SEARCH for even part of the filename wouldn't find it.
However, my son suggested installing EVERYTHING.exe - it worked!
Found it in some obscure place.
I just cut & pasted it to the desktop - went well. My marraige has been saved....

Anyway, I became a grandad on Tuesday!
Just thought I'd share that with you :)

wainuitech
10-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Congratulations on becoming a granddad - hope the rest of the family is all well. Now the real fun begins, well a few years anyway - babysitting duties ;)

Oh - good you found the wifes data.

linw
10-05-2012, 08:38 AM
Yep, wouldn't be without 'Everything'. It is magic the way it indexes in such a short time.

bevy121
10-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Yes - 'Everything' is so quick, I couldn't believe my eyes when I first started using it about 2 1/2 years ago

Would recommend it as #1 (computer)search tool
Windows search would come in at around #873 at a guess...