PDA

View Full Version : Ran rkill

lakewoodlady
05-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Could this cause my computer to freeze sometimes? C:\Windows\System32\grpconv.exe It is what rkill found and removed.

LL

Lurking
05-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Google says the following:

http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/grpconv/21608/

Lurking.

wainuitech
05-05-2012, 04:37 PM
As Lurking posted, very old file. Unless its malware pretending to be grpconv.exe ???

Rkill wont actually remove it - it only kills the process, so next time you reboot it will start up again.

Rkill basically kills processes so other actions can be performed, like allowing antimalware programs to run with out any infection stopping them.

I did this once by mistake - was on a remote link, ran Rkill and OOPS there goes the remote connection :blush:

lakewoodlady
05-05-2012, 04:46 PM
Funny that, but it has not come back after rebooting a couple of times. Just trying to find what is causing the freezing. Took side off case hoping to maybe see if I could re-seat the RAM. Extremely difficult to get at without removing the HDD. Might try memtest next.

LL

wainuitech
05-05-2012, 05:12 PM
is there any particular time or activity that it freezes - or just random ?

lakewoodlady
05-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Firefox on PF1 lo!

LL

wainuitech
05-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Firefox on PF1 lo!

LL Thats ironic :D

Try a different Browser.

Speedy Gonzales
05-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Might be an addon. What addons have been installed? If you have any disable them and enable them one by one

lakewoodlady
06-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Hi Speedy,
I have Adblock plus, Download Helper, RealPlayer plugin and WOT. Also got several plugins, but they are all up to date and have never caused problems.
I ran memtest for a couple of hours, and it was all ok. So far it hasn't frozen today, but it did twice yesterday before I ran rkill. I just have the funny feeling that somehow it is caused by Nvidia. will try using Chrome for a few days, then IE for a few days.
It's a real pain when it is so intermittent.

Cheers LL