PDA

View Full Version : Sony Internet TV

Bryden
04-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Killing time at Noel Leeming today I noticed a large Sony TV advertised for use with the Internet.... Do you need to purchase a special television to use the screen for computer applications?

TIA - Bryden

GameJunkie
04-05-2012, 11:00 PM
it has the applications built in so kinda yes

decibel
05-05-2012, 05:46 PM
They mean that if you plug an ethernet cable into the back of the TV from your home network, you can access the internet using the "widgets" pre-programmed into the TV.

Bryden
05-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the info. Think I might wait until it has developed a bit further....

decibel
05-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Yes, I bought a Samsung about 2 years ago and ever since then it has been calling home at 4am each day for more updates. But instead of things like TVNZ on-demand etc, all I have got since then is Facebook, Twitter and Flickr.

When I asked the Samsung support-line about more Kiwi-orientated widgets I got the message "marketing don't talk to customers"

I have also been disappointed in the number of retailers (zero) who have display TVs hooked up to the internet to show off this sort of feature.

b....
06-05-2012, 12:14 AM
"I have also been disappointed in the number of retailers (zero) who have display TVs hooked up to the internet to show off this sort of feature."
This is probably because the internet function is more hype than substance, if our two year old Series 6 Samsung is anything to go by. Great TV, but hopeless for web surfing.

psycik
06-05-2012, 12:21 AM
The sony ones though, has quickflix loaded on them. So it could be useful.

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2012, 12:24 AM
Thats if you want to pay for it. Since it isnt free

Richardd150
06-05-2012, 02:32 PM
I've noticed that some manufacturers are now including a "web browser" as part of the functionality of their TV's (in addition to their widgets). Can I assume this means that you CAN surf the net?

Mike
07-05-2012, 09:04 AM
I've noticed that some manufacturers are now including a "web browser" as part of the functionality of their TV's (in addition to their widgets). Can I assume this means that you CAN surf the net?My Sony tv (cheap 40" Bravia) has a web browser built in. Can surf the net fairly well for text and images (I use it to "watch" the cricket via cricinfo.com :D ).

The TV has apps for facebook and twitter (which we don't use) plus a lot of internet radio and video services (such as youtube, which we use a lot). It also allows for connecting to pay services like Quickflix (which works quite well).

Cheers,
Mike.

autechre
07-05-2012, 10:04 AM
I've noticed that some manufacturers are now including a "web browser" as part of the functionality of their TV's (in addition to their widgets). Can I assume this means that you CAN surf the net?
Yep, you can but good luck trying to enter urls with your remote :)

Though, the Samsung's (and I assume other brands) do have apps available for smart phones so you can remote control them and it makes it much easier to enter text such as urls or search for youtube videos.

Richardd150
08-05-2012, 06:39 PM
My Sony tv (cheap 40" Bravia) has a web browser built in. Can surf the net fairly well for text and images (I use it to "watch" the cricket via cricinfo.com :D ).

The TV has apps for facebook and twitter (which we don't use) plus a lot of internet radio and video services (such as youtube, which we use a lot). It also allows for connecting to pay services like Quickflix (which works quite well).

Cheers,
Mike.
Thanks Mike, good to know.

Yep, you can but good luck trying to enter urls with your remote :)

Though, the Samsung's (and I assume other brands) do have apps available for smart phones so you can remote control them and it makes it much easier to enter text such as urls or search for youtube videos.
Thanks autechre, good points.

John H
09-05-2012, 03:59 PM
You can also use these new internet TVs for Skype. We have a Samsung TV that is Skype capable, but the Samsung camera for the TV is a ridiculous price so we haven't bought one. We talk to our daughter and her family in the wilds of Western Australia via one of our computers and her LG TV which has a camera attached (at a much more sensible price). It makes it much easier to talk to her using Skype because she and our son in law and grandson all line up on the sofa in the living room and it is much better than trying to talk to them using her laptop.

Our Samsung TV is connected to the LAN via ethernet, and the TV calls 'home' on the odd occasion and updates its various systems and apps. The web browser works, but it is a total pain typing in an url using the tv remote. Perhaps it would work with a wireless keyboard - I haven't tried that yet.