PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on which anti virus to buy for a business please.

dianne pierce
04-05-2012, 07:25 PM
We operate 2 desktops and 3 laptops in a business that uses a large amount of confidential documents. We have had Kapersky but we unimpressed with it as viruses did come though. I have seen recommendations in this forum for MSE. Is there anything better than this if we pay for it please.

wainuitech
04-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Nod32 business edition.

Wouldn't trust MSE, while its 'ok " for a free one, Nod out performs it. To work better, it really needs to be setup to its full capabilities .( this is where many people fall over - they dont set it up fully or more to the point dont know how) Takes less than a minute when you know the settings ;)

You need more than just an antivirus, you need a couple of antimalware programs as well. Just about ALL the antivirus vendors claim their programs " do it all" haven't seen one yet that will.

b....
04-05-2012, 07:52 PM
The company I work for has just changed from Sophos to Kaspersky. Hope we don't have the problems you had.

dianne pierce
04-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Thanks wainuitech - which site is best to download a trial version and where in NZ can it be purchased from (saves me scouring the computer shops lol)

icow
04-05-2012, 08:15 PM
From memory both bond and bond and JB Hifi stock the retail version of NOD32. Not sure if the business one is stocked though. It can be purchased and downloaded straight from : http://www.eset.co.nz/

wainuitech
04-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Thanks wainuitech - which site is best to download a trial version and where in NZ can it be purchased from (saves me scouring the computer shops lol) There are several people here that are resellers ( me included) a probable better bet are the NZ distributors Chillisoft (http://www.chillisoft.co.nz/purchase/index.cfm) you can download a trial from Nod32 (http://www.eset.com/download/home/) it will download a web installer, that then downloads the version you need, (32 or 64 bit) when its installed, it will ask to activate with either a purchased user name and password, or a trial licence. If you want the trial, you need to enter a email address.

If you have 5 then you need 5 different addresses -- my suggestion - contact chillisoft on 9 309 3281 ask for a 5 user trial licence, that way all the licences will expire at the same time.

DONT go buying retail from the toaster shops, they are single user and cost more - Nod32 home user licences only go up to 4, Business licenses are 5 and above.

Edited: a 5 user licence purchase is $253.75 + gst ($291.81) which works out $58.36 / Licence for the first year, with a renewal of $176.85 + gst ( for 5 user) every year after that or $40.67 each gst inclusive. ( at current prices)

inphinity
04-05-2012, 09:06 PM
PBTech sell Eset products, and for smaller quantities I've found them cheaper. About $50 each for <10 users.

wainuitech
04-05-2012, 09:23 PM
PBTech sell Eset products, and for smaller quantities I've found them cheaper. About $50 each for <10 users. The more you buy the the cheaper the amount per user - if they are selling them @50 each for + 10 then they are charging more than the RRP.

The business licenses go 5-10, 11-24, 25-49 etc. Buy 2000 + and you get them for $20 each, you also have the options to take the term for 1-3 years, the longer you have the cheaper / year it is / licence.

Home users only go to 4 , then they change to business Licences.

Chilling_Silence
04-05-2012, 09:33 PM
I'm with Wainuitech, without a doubt you should go NOD32!

I've tried McAfee, Kaspersky, NOD32, AVG, Avast, Avira and Sophos in the last 12 months. NOD32 outshines them all in practically every way possible!!

wratterus
04-05-2012, 09:36 PM
I echo Wainui's thoughts too, NOD32 is a fantastic product and the simplicity of the licence setup is second to none.

Reseller here too. :p

inphinity
04-05-2012, 09:46 PM
The more you buy the the cheaper the amount per user - if they are selling them @50 each for + 10 then they are charging more than the RRP.

Then what are Chilisoft charging - they wanted $60 each!

dianne pierce
04-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Many thanks to everyone for your opinions. What would I do without your knowledge - thank you so much

wainuitech
04-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Then what are Chilisoft charging - they wanted $60 each!

Simple - single user 1 year. As mentioned the more you buy the cheaper per licence. BTW where did you see $60 ?? or is that rounding ?

PBTech have their pricing all over the place.. The less users (licences) PBtech advertise they are slightly cheaper but the higher they go in users the more they actually charge.

They may be getting them from some other place like Eset direct - The reason I say that, Quoted from their site on all the listings "Transfers from the Logistics Centre can take up to 5 days" FIVE days come on :groan: Hate to think what their support is like if it takes up to 5 days to get a licence.

I (and any other reseller) can order any number of licences in about as long as it takes to type in the persons name, click 3 more buttons and done -- all in less than 1 minute.

Even if Chillisoft have to do something manually because there may be some sort of "out of the normal actions" ( charity Licensing for example) its usually less than an hour for a response, ( usually 15 minutes or less) if you phone them its instant.

To renewal - about 20 seconds (speed depending on internet) - time for renewal to take effect depends but generally 15-30 minutes from entering. Done several renewals today in next to no time.

Chilling_Silence
04-05-2012, 11:17 PM
What would I do without your knowledge - thank you so much

Well the odds are stacked against you for buying the best antivirus ... so you'd probably *not* have bought NOD32 :p

inphinity
05-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Simple - single user 1 year. As mentioned the more you buy the cheaper per licence. BTW where did you see $60 ?? or is that rounding ?

Rounding - it was around $350 for 6 licenses that they quoted us, or around $300 from PBTech, which surprised me.

wainuitech
05-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Rounding - it was around $350 for 6 licenses that they quoted us, or around $300 from PBTech, which surprised me.

Just looked that up, 6 user that Chillisoft quoted was RRP ( in round figures), PBTech's is roughly half way between Dealer & RRP pricing. Any pricing I gave here is the RRP.