PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy S3

GameJunkie
04-05-2012, 04:47 PM
just been announced today, what are people's thoughts on the device?
would you consider getting one??

comparison between it, the iphone 4s, htc one X
http://www.pcworld.com/article/254947/samsung_galaxy_s_iii_vs_iphone_4s_vs_htc_one_x_spe c_smackdown.html#tk.hp_new

johcar
04-05-2012, 05:18 PM
I'm a big HTC fan, but the One X has no facility for a microSD card (the S3 does) and and 32GB internal memory (a big improvement!), only 26GB of that is available memory (for the owner). I have nearly that amount of music and books on the microSD card in my Sensation, so unfortunately, although other specs are great, the One X is off my shopping list even though I had been looking forward to its launch.

Also, the HTC has an 1800mAh battery, whereas the Sammy has a 2100mAh battery (with the ability to replace it with an aftermarket battery of greater capacity - you can't remove the back of the One X. Just like an iPhone :()

Additionally, Samsung has promised a 64GB version of the S3...

GameJunkie
04-05-2012, 06:14 PM
you can pre-order it on mobicity
http://www.mobicity.co.nz/catalogsearch/result/?q=i9300&x=0&y=0

i'd still consider the nexus, or even the s2 which might come down in price as a result

Nick G
04-05-2012, 06:41 PM
It Looks Awesome!

Shame about the price

Cato
04-05-2012, 07:01 PM
you can pre-order it on mobicity
http://www.mobicity.co.nz/catalogsearch/result/?q=i9300&x=0&y=0

i'd still consider the nexus, or even the s2 which might come down in price as a result

What kind of idiot would pay 1250 for that, add in gst and the customs levy...

I can't see it offering anything that the last generation of phones didn't...

I guess we have reached a bottleneck of phones for a while.

paulw
04-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Damn it has a micro SIM. Gone would be the days of doing SIM swaps every week or two between fones..

The Error Guy
05-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Micro SIM is a standard SIM... without the extra plastic. I just cut it down carefully. Most phones, except for iPhones, will allow you to carefully place it right and it will work. iPhones don't because of their SIM tray.

I'm just a little horrified at that design. Will have to see it in person... but atm, not liking the corners :p

Other than that, might upgrade the SII in 7 months, with a 2nd hand model. Not paying $1k for a phone!

xyz823
05-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Micro SIM is a standard SIM... without the extra plastic. I just cut it down carefully. Most phones, except for iPhones, will allow you to carefully place it right and it will work. iPhones don't because of their SIM tray.

I'm just a little horrified at that design. Will have to see it in person... but atm, not liking the corners :p

Other than that, might upgrade the S2 in 7 months, with a 2nd hand model. Not paying $1k for a phone!

Dam, That's cheaper than the $1239 I paid for my S2 when it came out last year :/

1k isn't bad, still cheaper than an iPhone.

From memory, buying from mobicity you don't have to pay GST/customs fees or anything. They cover that for you.

I think I'll get another year or so out of my S2 then maybe look at getting a S4.

Overall it looks quite nice, does the camera have any actual hardware improvements?

Just to add, you can cut a normal sim down and use it in an iPhone 4. I've done it ;)

afe66
05-05-2012, 03:17 PM
I went for the HTC one X with a 2g data plan with the aim of piggy backing a tablet off it.

Currently have the htc hero from 2009 (! 2.1 to 4.0 should be interesting) and find that I still dont use all the data on the 8g micro sd so for me 26g will be enough especially with the 25G free drop box for two years offer.

Street noise quality walking around town is going to make music quality poor anyway so not too concerned about 128k MP3s so can get alot of music within 26G.

86 books on my kindle are still less than 1G so ok there I think.

Video files are going to be the big space hog but I figure thats what the tablet with the longer battery life is for.

The only advantage I can see to the removable battery is that its a nice way to reset the phone when it crashes. I still havent bought a new battery for the hero even after three years so ok without a removable battery.

And at the risk of being superficial - I dont like the look of the s3. Prefer the angular look rather than the rounded pebble. Only regret is I watch the black not the white one but I'll take the subsidized , nz sourced white one.

My thoughts..

Cato
05-05-2012, 05:46 PM
From memory, buying from mobicity you don't have to pay GST/customs fees or anything. They cover that for you.

Wrong.

https://mobicity.zendesk.com/entries/20425191-nz-customs-duties-and-gst

MobiCity NZ operates a local warranty service through MultiFix in Auckland, however our warehouses are in Australia, Hong Kong and the USA. As a result any prices displayed on the NZ website do not include GST or import duties.

Most people buy and pray that they don't get stung by customs... 1500$ phone for ya. :)

xyz823
05-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Wrong.

https://mobicity.zendesk.com/entries/20425191-nz-customs-duties-and-gst

Most people buy and pray that they don't get stung by customs... 1500$ phone for ya. :)

I stand corrected then!

Have they changed to this in the last 12 months? I remember getting an email saying that the $1200 odd I was paying included GST?

Cato
05-05-2012, 08:47 PM
I stand corrected then!

Have they changed to this in the last 12 months? I remember getting an email saying that the $1200 odd I was paying included GST?

Not in the last 12 months AFAIK.
Basically they'll send it to you and hope you won't get stung by customs.

I believe the same happens with Handtec and Clove. If you use a certain courier (Royal Mail) you won't get snapped.

Nick G
06-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Have had a better look at it on techadar. It looks nice, but I'm not sure about a 4.8 inch screen. Personally, I think screen sizes over 4.3 inches are too large. I think Samsung has made a great choice to still include a micro SD card slot and, but I wish it had a SIM instead of a Micro SIM. Interesting to see how the battery stands up with that screen and processor.

inphinity
22-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Ahh, I love both the S3 and the One X, but they both feel just a little too large for my comfort for portability... wish they'd stuck with a 4.3" screen :/ But I really want the quad-core.. where's a 2GB of RAM option though??

dugimodo
22-05-2012, 11:03 AM
I have the original Galaxy S and I really still can't see a reason to upgrade. what do I need extra power for? and I find this one too big at times, bigger is too big for me.
I got my phone with my tax return money one year, I wouldn't normally have spent that much. I do like smartphones, but to me it seems like there's not much reason to go for the newer ones.

inphinity
22-05-2012, 11:21 AM
I do like smartphones, but to me it seems like there's not much reason to go for the newer ones.

Maybe I just push my phones too much, but I'm finding single-core 1GHz and 512MB of RAM struggling with a lot of my requirements atm... and sadly my Transformers is a bit too big to carry *everywhere*, though has been extraordinarily useful (and the only reason my current phone has lasted as long as it has).

Chilling_Silence
22-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Yeah I found my Galaxy S just a little too slow for my likings. Went from 2.1, to 2.2, to 2.3, to 4.0 (Unofficial), and all weren't as "snappy" as they could be. Got a Galaxy Nexus at the end of January. It's a *great* device, but works just got me a One X today. Already nuked the standard ROM, Sense UI and the stock keyboard pissed me off *way* too much ... CM9 is so much nicer :)

prefect
22-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Yeah I found my Galaxy S just a little too slow for my likings. Went from 2.1, to 2.2, to 2.3, to 4.0 (Unofficial), and all weren't as "snappy" as they could be. Got a Galaxy Nexus at the end of January. It's a *great* device, but works just got me a One X today. Already nuked the standard ROM, Sense UI and the stock keyboard pissed me off *way* too much ... CM9 is so much nicer :)
What is CM9?

Nick G
22-05-2012, 08:14 PM
cyanogen mod 9 - for rooted droids.
And HP touchpads :)

Alex B
23-05-2012, 12:13 AM

Keen rooting a work phone arn't you? I take it your company doesn't use an MDM at all?

Chilling_Silence
23-05-2012, 01:05 AM
Doesn't matter if they do, most still work even if you're rooted. It's technically my phone, I've paid for it, works just subsidized it with the contract they've taken on for me.

Ditched the stock SenseUI pretty much straight away, it pissed me off something chronic. Happy to be running CM9, it's *way* nicer!!

What is CM9?
CM9 = CyanogenMod 9 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
It's a version of Android based on the AOSP (Android Open Source Project) that's designed to be a fast, "close to standard", yet feature-rich Android. It doesn't have a ton of different apps bundled, but instead has OS-level customizations that more than make up for it.

Alex B
23-05-2012, 09:20 AM
They work until you tell it to ban all rooted/jail broken devices from your network ;)

prefect
23-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Rooted?

Chilling_Silence
23-05-2012, 10:29 AM
They work until you tell it to ban all rooted/jail broken devices from your network ;)
I'm yet to see any place do that and not be able to work around it.

Rooted?
Means you have the ability to do things as the root (Administrator in Linux) user. Otherwise your phone runs everything as a regular unprivileged user. Having a rooted phone allows you to do things like customize thetypes of notifications you receive, for example modify the color of the notification LED, and other things like that :)