PDA

View Full Version : Password protect a shared folder

Iantech
04-05-2012, 09:49 AM
Hi All,
Here is what I ultimately want to do....

Have a shared folder on computer1 that can be seen on the network.
That folder needs to be password protected and present a password prompt box when trying to be accessed.
So, the shared folder is only accessable on confirmation of correct password. It must also be secure in the same way if it was clicked on from computer1.

I have downloaded a few folder lock programmes, while I can lock the folders, it doesnt prompt for a password to access them - just denies any access at all. Done a bit of hunting (and done a search through the forum) but havent found a suitable solution yet - you could easily do it in Win2000, but it seems something MS have failed to continue with.

Anyone been in the same boat and managed to work a solution? Any help, ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Ian

Speedy Gonzales
04-05-2012, 10:01 AM
What version of windows is it?

Iantech
04-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Oh sorry. Windows 7 Pro on both computers that I want to be able to have access. (host plus one on the network).
Thanks Speedy :)

04-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Windows Sharing passwords can be saved on the remote PC, so that may not be an option if you want to Force entering
a password each time ? Not sure if this share pass saving can be disabled with local policies .
Perhaps some sort of encryption or zip file password etc

Speedy Gonzales
04-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Is homegroup enabled? Is password protected sharing on or off?

Iantech
04-05-2012, 10:46 AM
No to the homegroup, nothing is being shared at the moment between computers accross the network, so its possible password protected sharing is currently still enabled (because I think it is on by default isnt it?). Will look into your suggestion 1101, cheers for that. The amount of data that is required to be secured is approx 850Mb.

kahawai chaser
04-05-2012, 03:56 PM
WinZip V7 or 8 could password protect when compressing/uncompressing.

stratex5
04-05-2012, 05:03 PM
What about truecrypt its free and will encrypt the files as a folder that can only be acsessed by using truecrypt then entering the password.

mzee
04-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Windows 7 Pro
Right click on folder, select properties/sharing. You will see sharing and passwords, user accounts.

kahawai chaser
04-05-2012, 08:24 PM
There might be windows explorer/shared folder shell replacements/management that can allow folder encryption.

wainuitech
04-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Microsoft for some reason took out the exact option many people still want -- it was in Windows 98, but after that -- gone.

Basically what you are wanting is only really available in server software these days. Its easy enough to password protect a shared folder over the LAN, but Locally as well -- Thats a bit different, as its assumed if you have access to the PC you have access to the folders. The only way is to encrypt them or some other third party software.

fred_fish
04-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Um, no.
You can deny access to local folders for specific users and groups - that is exactly the point of NTFS ACL's.

wainuitech
05-05-2012, 12:41 PM
He wanted it to pop up with a password box when shared over a LAN as well as the Local folder, which it doesn't do, as asked in the original post.

Have a shared folder on computer1 that can be seen on the network.
That folder needs to be password protected and present a password prompt box when trying to be accessed.
So, the shared folder is only accessable on confirmation of correct password. It must also be secure in the same way if it was clicked on from computer1.

Instead of rubbishing others comments why not do something useful and actually describe in detail how its done or supply a link to a site with full instructions.

fred_fish
05-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Its easy enough to password protect a shared folder over the LAN, but Locally as well -- Thats a bit different, as its assumed if you have access to the PC you have access to the folders. The only way is to encrypt them or some other third party software.
So what is this misinformation about then?

wainuitech
05-05-2012, 12:52 PM
So what is this misinformation about then? Its not misinformation at all. If you enable password protected sharing it will prompt you for a user name and password to access the folder over a LAN. But if you do that it applies to all shared folders not just one which was the original request.

If you had a folder on your desktop, and you wanted to password protect only the one, you would have to deny permissions to yourself as well, and be prompted for a password.

So to repeat -- why dont you actually describe how to do it since you claim it can be done.

fred_fish
05-05-2012, 01:02 PM
More bollocks.
You can set user based ACL's per share, it doesn't apply to ALL shares.
And being a local user does not automatically give you access to all local folders, if your user or group has no rights to a particular folder, you can't open it.

For the OP's question, create a group, add whatever users need access, in the folder & share properties add that group to the Allowed list and remove all others.

edit: the user must exist on the host pc

wainuitech
05-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Explain in detail how to do it or is that beyond your reasoning. Seems you are good at stating things but NOT actually giving clear instructions on how to do it if someone doesn't know.

Saying you can do something DOESN'T tell you how to do it.

if your user or group has no rights to a particular folder, you can't open it.
Thats pointless then and not whats being asked.

I know exactly the locations you are talking about, but you made the claim - so PROVE it.

fred_fish
05-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Explain in detail how to do it or is that beyond your reasoning. Seems you are good at stating things but NOT actually giving clear instructions on how to do it if someone doesn't know.
Resorting to personal attacks doesn't make your 'facts' any more correct.

Saying you can do something DOESN'T tell you how to do it.
Iantech seems quite capable and based on what I have seen of his history, doesn't need spoonfeeding.

Thats pointless then and not whats being asked.
Re-read theOP - he has also asked about restricting local access, (which you claim can't be done).

I know exactly the locations you are talking about, but you made the claim - so PROVE it.
I have no interest in a pissing contest about knowledge of the layout of the "Network & Sharing Center" or associated 'wizards'.
I don't currently have a Win7 machine within reach, so I posted the process I would use, I'm sure Iantech can work out which buttons to push for himself.

wainuitech
05-05-2012, 01:39 PM
You can stop certain uses from having access, thats easy enough as mentioned, BUT to have it pop up and ask for a password (as windows 98 did) is another matter - and thats what was required.

Obviously Fred knows something more than Microsoft and millions of others all around the world do.

The exact question is asked and on the microsoft site is the answerCan-I-protect-files-or-folders-with-a-password (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Can-I-protect-files-or-folders-with-a-password)

It was claimed it can be done -- so please provide exact instructions on how to do it, and I'm sure millions of techs and general users will be really grateful for the knowledge.

BTW its not a personal attack -- Fred stated something, and even MS say it cant be done. So actually learning how you do it would be more than welcome.

fred_fish
05-05-2012, 01:50 PM
:rolleyes:

As you have taken so much joy in pointing out, the simple password share has been removed (it was a poor hack of the SMB protocol anyway), leaving only user based sharing (although a SAMBA server can still provide shares based on password-only access).
The password is supplied when you authenticate as that user, either when you log on locally, or when you authenticate to a share over the network.