PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 won't boot

clevertrev
30-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if somebody can help me out with a sticky issue. I'm running windows 7 ultimate and had an issue with the heatsink coming undone during a move to my new home. Now windows 7 won't boot. I have replaced the heatsink and fan with an upgraded model but still no 'windows starting' screen. All I get is a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner of my screen. The only way I can get it to boot is either with the installation dvd or by continuously pressing F8 until I get a boot menu onscreen. I have also tried reinstalling windows.

Hopefully somebody has some ideas.

Cheers
Trev:stare:

wainuitech
30-04-2012, 11:51 PM
Thats can be caused by driver corruption of some sort.

Does it boot into safe mode ? if it does then its driver related.

Has it actually booted right after you did the fresh install ?

dugimodo
01-05-2012, 12:21 AM
Did you try and power it up with the heatsink not attached at any point? if so it may have dome some damage.
Also if there was enough movement to detach the heatsink maybe something else has come lose as well. Check all the cables are secure and the RAM and Video card are properly inserted.
What happens when you boot off a DVD and did the windows install work? Is the BIOS showing all your drives as you'd expect?

clevertrev
01-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the replies. Wainui...I haven't tried booting into safe mode yet so will give that a go and see if it is a driver issue and Dugimodo...I replaced the stock intel heatsink with Noctua one where I had to put a backing plate on to the motherboard so while I was waiting for it to arrive I basically removed all of the components and did a spring clean and then put it all back together so everything is as it should be connection wise. As I mentioned...win 7 will happily boot from the installation dvd if the optical drive is allocated as first boot in the BIOS and yes all drives are showing.

Bryan
01-05-2012, 10:04 AM
How many HDDs do you have? Are they IDE? Are they connected the way they used to be?

Check the BIOS that the Master HDD will boot first.

clevertrev
01-05-2012, 02:26 PM
There are two HDD's one with OS on it the other for storage both SATA and both are connected as before. BIOS is set to boot off disk 1 but if I'm trying to boot from the optical it's then that I change the boot menu.

Thanks for your help.

01-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Disconnect the 2nd HD, just in case .
Could be a failed Windows update, or faulty HD, (as well as other causes)
If you have a spare/unused HD, stick that in & see if you can load Win onto that. This will be a very good hardware test.
Try running the repair option from the Win Dvd, DONT do a system re-image/re-install/factory reset , at least not yet .

clevertrev
02-05-2012, 08:22 AM
Thanks 1101...will try that and see how it goes!!