PDA

View Full Version : Help connecting new PC to existing TP-link modem & PC setup

sooby
30-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Howdy,

The boss has upgraded our work PC's and gave me one of the now obsolete Dell workstations to allow me to work from home etc.

This he has done several years ago with another even older HP workstation, which I had connected to our TP-link wireless modem, which also served our personal PC.

When I replaced the HP unit with the newer Dell I can't seem to connect to the internet - even tho the Dell is showing as connected to the modem, I'm stumped!

What am I doing wrong? The old HP simply connected to the net as soon as the modem line was inserted and I didn't need to set up anything, yet this Dell won't work no matter what I try?? (I've got all the cables exactly as they were with the HP, swapped like for like etc yet nothing..)

The Dell was connected to a network at work, I'm guessing there is a setting or missing path that is stopping it connecting - can any one offer a start point?

I've tried a google & got no-where... greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks

wainuitech
30-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Go into your network adaptor setting, (TCP/ IPv4) make sure they are set to obtain automatically both the IP address and DNS servers.

sooby
30-04-2012, 07:11 PM
You sir, are a legend!

That did the trick - Wainuitech words can't express just how grateful I am, really appreciate your brilliant advice!

A million thank yous!

linw
01-05-2012, 09:52 AM
He would probably been satisfied with, oh, about 500!!

Nothing like getting an IP address that matches the network range.