PDA

View Full Version : Let them Sizzle

Zippity
30-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Northland thieves target live power lines (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10802495)

Why don't the Police come out publicly and state that they will prosecute any dealer trading in copper wire?? :( :(

Iantech
30-04-2012, 06:04 PM
+ 1 Zippy.
Police need to have a big round-up of scrap dealers, they are all dodgy (assumption - non fact) and often accept stolen metal. Chch lot are really bad, accepting stolen lead and hot water cylinders from red-zone houses around town.

globe
30-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Great, another thread about a crime where the lynch mob are lighting their torches and sharpening the pitchforks!

Bout time since its been about 30 seconds since the last.

prefect
30-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Scrap metal dealers usually as dodgy at tow truck drivers.
Last year I was selling some scrap steel at the Concourse. Guy in front of me wrote down a rego number which wasnt the rego number of his car which had its number plate visible. I pointed this out to someone there and they said " so what"
Although the scrap may be bypassing the dealers and going into containers and heading for communist china.

mikebartnz
30-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Why don't the Police come out publicly and state that they will prosecute any dealer trading in copper wire?? :( :(
They will when they have the evidence.

Zippity
30-04-2012, 09:54 PM
They will when they have the evidence.

And once again, you miss the point.

mikebartnz
30-04-2012, 09:57 PM
And once again, you miss the point.
Then please enlighten me as they have prosecuted scrap metal dealers.

Bobh
30-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Thieves have little regard for the cost to the owner of goods that they steal from. Neither do they care about the danger that they put people in through their actions. All they care about is their own personal gain.

Receivers of stolen goods are as guilty as the thieves (in this case scrap metal merchants).

pine-o-cleen
30-04-2012, 10:51 PM
Northland thieves target live power lines (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10802495)

...that would require a law change, and would stop legitimate traders.

01-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Do they even still use copper in power lines ??

Billy T
01-05-2012, 12:44 PM
The scrap metal dealer I have recently used has cameras linked up to his computer system. He has number-plate recognition software and greets you by name on your subsequent visits, with all your details available on screen before you can even off-load the junk. They video all sales and every transaction is logged. I wouldn't want to drive in there with a load of HW cylinders or a bundle of electrical cable that I couldn't validate. He pays good prices too. I was dropping off a dud HW cylinder (steel/ceramic) and copper and brass offcuts etc from our renovation and our street's recent inorganic :D An old steel washtub unit with stainless steel basin was collectively worth $20 (separated, they pay less if they can't weigh individual metal types).

I reckon the Police should run some 'silent sting' operations, then they'd know which dealers to watch in future.

As for this
Do they even still use copper in power lines ?? Yes, the resistive losses in other metals are too high, and anything better is too expensive, being either exotic or limited supply such as silver or gold. Superconductors are exotic and incredibly expensive, but need cooling to extremely low tempratures, and even the so called 'high temperature' superconductors are still cooled to way below zero.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

01-05-2012, 01:00 PM
OK , is there someone in the industry who ACTUALLY :punk knows what we use in NZ power lines ;)
I was taught they use alumininium(yes i cant spell), that may be correct

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overhead_power_line#Conductors

prefect
01-05-2012, 01:27 PM
When they were building the new North harbour/West Auckland motorway I asked them why the lamps were on during the day. Answer to fry a robbers ass especially on a Sunday if they tried to steal the cable.