PDA

View Full Version : Hook up Skype to a normal phone

Ninjabear
29-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Hi

Is there anyway to attach Skype to a landline hand phone?

Wanting to go Naked BB and go skype but I am trying to find some way to link the skype from PC to a normal handphone at home.

Is this possible?

stratex5
29-04-2012, 09:12 PM
What about this ( http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/home-phone/phone-adapter/). Just a thought.

stratex5
29-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Sorry probibly not svslible in NZ though but you might be able to get one off ebay.

icow
29-04-2012, 09:18 PM
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JCU88S?tag=successfullifeco&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B000JCU88S&adid=1N2NDPEVQ9NVCBCGHYZA&&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.solostream.com%2Fblog%2Fre views%2Fuse-your-landline-phone-for-skype-calls-review-of-d-link-usb-adapter%2F

Edit: Potential NZ solution: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=43&topicid=71361

GameJunkie
29-04-2012, 09:19 PM
the thing in your second link isnt available for new zealand, and you cant get that first item in nz either.... maybe something similar

or what about that orcon genius thing???

stratex5
29-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Yeah but i THINK you can only have one phone, the orcon genius.

Ninjabear
29-04-2012, 09:34 PM
I was wondering Voip with Worldxchange Naked BB with Telstraclear?

wainuitech
29-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Are you wanting to use only skype via your Computer/Phone or set up a real VOIP ?

Edited: So is it skype or VOIP

There is a big difference ;)

Ninjabear
29-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Are you wanting to use only skype via your Computer/Phone or set up a real VOIP ?

There is a big difference ;)

4 people in a house. 3 Cordless phones in the house.

We were with Worldxchange , naked BB + Voip but we switched over to Telstraclear.

Telstraclear's calling rates aren't cheap so am thinking of an alternative way of making cheaper calls.
I have a skype account on my PC.. I was thinking if there's somehow a way to link the PC to a home phone. I also thought of calling Worldxchange and see if they can offer VOIP if my BB are with Telstraclear.
There's new plans coming out with Telstraclear so am just planning

stratex5
29-04-2012, 09:44 PM
If you are ok with one phone in a house orcons fibre optic plans are ok.

Ninjabear
29-04-2012, 09:48 PM
There's no fibre here so I don't think thats an option

Speedy Gonzales
29-04-2012, 09:53 PM
The pros and cons of Voip. If you dont know (http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/feature/join-the-voip-revolution)

wainuitech
29-04-2012, 10:28 PM
That link Speedy posted is spot on :thumbs:

A few weeks back I was called in to set up a VOIP with a place that couldn't get telcom or Telstra or any other of the standard provides. The guy that set up their internet with some place I never heard of before did a real good job, hell it was fast, but when it came to voip, what a nightmare, and he didn't want to know about it.

They ended up going to two different places to get the voip equipment and account/Number that would use a standard phone . (nightmare number 1) one company ( mentioned in that article) provided equipment that was "meant to work" and it was far from easy to actually get any help, they provide no support at all. (nightmare number 2) the place that supplied the router they required swore black and blue the phone setup wouldn't work with the hardware company 1 provide - "finally" got hold of someone in the first company and they basically didn't want to know, said plug it in and it will work (yeah right). Found a site and entered in the correct settings and double checked with the ones provided & nothing Grrrrrrrrrr

The moral of the above -- If you are going between two different companies and theres a problem, they will happily blame one another, offer very little support and you the customer are left in the crap.

In the end I suggested they get hold of the place that supplied the router and ask what would work - they did that, cost a bit in equipment, but now its working fine, all new phones etc.

Nomad
30-04-2012, 12:04 AM
Are you with nDSL or Telstraclear "cable" internet?

We've always chosen the landline because it was just simpler with many phones in the house. We probably have 4 phones, 1 of that is a twin cordless set so 5. We have like over 10 jacks, dunno, previous owner had it. Maybe for convenience. In one room there is like 4 :lol:

nDSL isn't that much cheaper ...

Not sure if they use much data though ... but one way is why not just use a mobile phone with the Skype app ....... Many of my friends do that overseas, they have Skype, eBuddy

You can get Wifi only Skype handsets on TM. Some might have an issue connecting to the router though due to maybe the security settings as some computer wifi cards have too ......

Then you can leave the computers off. Or RJ45 Skype phones - surely they exist.

Ninjabear
30-04-2012, 11:52 PM
Are you with nDSL or Telstraclear "cable" internet?

We've always chosen the landline because it was just simpler with many phones in the house. We probably have 4 phones, 1 of that is a twin cordless set so 5. We have like over 10 jacks, dunno, previous owner had it. Maybe for convenience. In one room there is like 4 :lol:

nDSL isn't that much cheaper ...

Not sure if they use much data though ... but one way is why not just use a mobile phone with the Skype app ....... Many of my friends do that overseas, they have Skype, eBuddy

You can get Wifi only Skype handsets on TM. Some might have an issue connecting to the router though due to maybe the security settings as some computer wifi cards have too ......

Then you can leave the computers off. Or RJ45 Skype phones - surely they exist.

Na I'm with Telstraclear Normal Line and BB . I live in Auckland but I heard new plans are coming out with Telstraclear

paulw
01-05-2012, 09:07 AM
The pros and cons of Voip. If you dont know (http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/feature/join-the-voip-revolution)

Thanx for the link. An interesting article. I have both at home a Telecom landline for long distant and local calls and a 2talk SIP line for international and mobile calls. My old PBX routs the calls accordingly..

mzee
02-05-2012, 10:05 PM
I used to have Orcon Genius, but as the service was so unreliable I changed my ISP to Hosting Direct Naked broadband. I have my house phone on VoiP with 2talk using a Linksys PAP2T adapter giving me 2 phone lines, plugged into the router. They are available on Trade-me or PB Tech.
As 2talk is in New Zealand they are approachable and give very good service. The charges are very favorable, see below. You can get a local area number so your local calls are free. Your calls can be forwarded to any phone. Uses standard or cordless phones.

UK L 4cts pm
Mobiles 48cts pm
UK M 38cts pm

2talk
Local area free.
National Landline 3.45cts pm
UK Landline 4cts pm
Mobiles all NZ 22cts pm
UK & China Mobile 29cts pm

Nomad
03-05-2012, 11:33 PM
If you do want to use Skype, why not just install the Skype app onto the cellphone..... a no. of my friends do that overseas.

Chikara
04-05-2012, 01:09 AM
If you do want to use Skype, why not just install the Skype app onto the cellphone..... a no. of my friends do that overseas.

And making sure to use the data allowance from the wifi setup which will usualyl be much cheaper than the phone companys mobile data plan.

But on the issue of running Skype on a smartphone, has anyone tried it yet? Whats the performance like? I thought about trying it on my Android cellphone, but I had read quite a number of not good reviews on the Google Market (now Play) about it's performance and excessive memory usage, so I didn't use it on my cellphone. But that was a year ago, maybe I should look at it again...

stratex5
04-05-2012, 08:06 AM
Why dont you download skype which im pretty sure if free on your android the call an 0800 number for free?

Nomad
04-05-2012, 10:45 AM
I've used it on my Nokia just a C6-01, the conversation was fine. I was at home Skyping with a family member on his Netbook connected to the same router. Bro has HTC Wildfire, that gets choppy and I googled and it was that it has a slower CPU.

mzee
04-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Problems with Skype in New Zealand are that even if you use an adapter for a standard phone, a computer has to be running Skype software all the time. In USA you can get Skype phones. Why bother with Skype? 2talk is local, has better rates, and works on standard NZ phones, and does not need a running computer, just a standard broadband modem/router. I use Skype occasionally for Video calls. Cell phone tariff for Skype is twice as much as 2talk. SUPPORT LOCAL INDUSTRY!

Nomad
04-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Another option might be - is nDSL much cheaper with Telstraclear?
What we do is get the phoneline with the current special deals. Get the free local calling and with international calls we use the phone cards that you find in the ethnic grocery stores, much cheaper. That way if you have 2 or 4 or 6 phones, you can keep using them ..... without needing to buy more hardware.

Ninjabear
07-05-2012, 12:54 AM
Not quite sure on the price yet but I think I'll wait until they release the NDSL plans first and decide

Thanks for the help