PDA

View Full Version : Partition Magic Froze on Reboot

PinoyKiw
28-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Sony Vaio Laptop.

Used Partition Magic to create a new partition.

It rebooted and went through the partition stuff and then hung up.

Several hours later it was still hanging.

Then one of the children decided they wanted to use the laptop and pressed the power button.

12 hours later and all it is doing is attempting repairs.

You cannot get into Safe Mode. Just tried.

My thoughts at the moment is probably to try and download a copy of Windows 7 Home Prem 64bit and shove that into the DVD tray and reboot and hopefully that will load windows from scratch and then I will have to go looking for the drivers later.

Went to the MS site and clicked download on the Windows 7 link but that just takes me to a page promoting Windows 7 with no visible download link.

Any suggestions on where to download a copy of Windows 7 Home Prem or any suggestions on how to get the laptop working.

I do have a Windows 7 Professional DVD but I am assuming that loading a Pro version and entering a Home Prem serial is not going to work ?

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
28-04-2012, 11:13 PM
Windows 7 isnt free. Unless you've got a technet sub. I think you can download an ISO, if you have a key (for the right version of Win7) Its probably got a partition with the WIM file on it somewhere. Does it show restore when you turn it on?? It should tell you what key to press. Sites have been posted on here before (that have ISO's). Is it 32 or 64 bit??

PinoyKiw
28-04-2012, 11:35 PM
If you turn it off, when it is turned on again, it goes straight back to Attempting Repair.

F8 does nothing, cannot access Safe Mode.

Cannot access anything.

I downloaded a ISO of Windows 7 and there is the key sticker on the underside of the laptop.

stratex5
28-04-2012, 11:38 PM
Could you replace the hd then install win7 or Ubuntu then add the hd then wipe it?

Speedy Gonzales
28-04-2012, 11:41 PM
not F8 it maybe F10 or F2 to restore it. But then you'll lose everything. If you've got the ISO burn it if its Home prem. Then boot from it

stratex5
28-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Speedy, wouldnt running Ubuntu off a replaced hd work then you could wipe the drive. Just saying if he cant get into boot menu?

Speedy Gonzales
28-04-2012, 11:47 PM
If you burn the ISO then boot from it, you can wipe the hdd. Most versions of windows will let you format / and partition a hdd (well (from XP up). You dont need Ubuntu. Thats if the ISO is a bootable disk

stratex5
28-04-2012, 11:53 PM
Heres the ISO if you need it. (http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool#ms_help_topics_at)

wainuitech
28-04-2012, 11:56 PM
What I would try - 1st step is try to recover any data, you can do this by booting from a ubuntu live CD and plugging in a USB drive(s) and copying the data from the HDD drive to USb's.

As for actually fixing it depends on what has happened, but the pro may actually do it. I'll have to look tomorrow as right at the moment its late and I'm just a little to "merry" :banana lol (unless someone else can come up with a fix suggestion)

It rebooted and went through the partition stuff and then hung up.

Several hours later it was still hanging.
Sorry to say but at that time its done the damage.

I do have a Windows 7 Professional DVD but I am assuming that loading a Pro version and entering a Home Prem serial is not going to work ?

Bit of light work and yes you can use it to install Home pre and use your home Pre key ;) See aboveas to why I'm not posting how right at this point in time

wainuitech
28-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Heres the ISO if you need it. (http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool#ms_help_topics_at) eerrr no its not -- thats only a tool that allows you to transfer a Windows 7 ISO to USB drive to install from that.

stratex5
28-04-2012, 11:59 PM
Sorry didnt realise. thought it was the same thing.:)

wainuitech
29-04-2012, 12:05 AM
Nope its only a 2.9 MB ( about) file, a full Windows 7 ISO is approx ( for a 64 Bit) 3.2GB

PinoyKiw
29-04-2012, 10:27 AM
I have killed the problem. Friend of mine had a copy of Windows 7 with a edited ei.cfg file, loaded it and rebooted and did a clean install. I had already downloaded the 64bit drivers off the Sony site and all is now ok.

Thanks for those that replied.

HAL9000
29-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Oh and by the way as far as I know Partition Magic and Windows 7 are incompatible unless W7 is installed on a standard NTFS partition. If you have the W7 bootloader then Partition Magic is going to screw things up.

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/partition-magic-8

PinoyKiw
29-04-2012, 12:58 PM
The version of PM that I was using wasn't the latest version though I have successfully used it many times on Toshiba laptops all running 64bit Windows 7 Pro.

Before I saw your message though, I had downloaded the most recent version and used it on the Sony with out any further issue's, yes, I know, I am a glutton for punishment........but it worked this time so maybe the older version of PM and Sony/Windows 7 Home Prem didn't agree with each other.

Main thing is that it appears that the world is not going to end today.

bk T
29-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Bad experiences with Partition Magic, even with XP. Will never use it again!

mikebartnz
30-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Could you replace the hd then install win7 or Ubuntu then add the hd then wipe it?
and what is the point of any of that.:(