PDA

View Full Version : email virus question

Tony
27-04-2012, 10:04 AM
My friend appears to have been infected by a virus that is sending emails to all his address book. Should a normal virus scan (Norton, MSE etc) pick that up?

SP8's
27-04-2012, 11:18 AM
You should probably scan with Malwarebytes, Spybot, and Superantispyware .... MSSE over Nortons and don't have both of those running at the same time ... they may well conflict and start fighting each other.

Sounds more like Malware than a virus ... but some of the more knowledgeable members may be able to offer better advice.

Nhashon
27-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Yeah , but i go for norton , since i find it more reliable . or try malwarebytes , thats another good software .

Though if i was you i would update both software ( Norton and Malwarbytes )and run a full scan .

8ftmetalhaed
27-04-2012, 11:31 AM
could also be spoofing.

Tony
27-04-2012, 11:32 AM
I'm not quite sure what the difference is between a "virus" and "malware". I thought a virus was malware.

Tony
27-04-2012, 11:39 AM
could also be spoofing.Spoofing?

Pancake
27-04-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm not quite sure what the difference is between a "virus" and "malware". I thought a virus was malware.

Malware is just a collective name for all malicious software,virues inclueded.

Nhashon
27-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Here is a defintion , Tony i found , maybe helps -

Malware: Malicious computer software that interferes with normal computer functions or sends personal data about the user to unauthorized parties over the Internet.

Virus: a segment of self-replicating code planted illegally in a computer program, often to damage or shut down a system or network.

A virus is defintely the worst one to have because it can totally damage your computer.

8ftmetalhaed
27-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Spoofing is when people manage to send an email looking as if it comes from one person when really it's coming from another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_spoofing

Tony
27-04-2012, 12:02 PM
hat's what's happening. I get an email purporting to come from my friend that when you open it is clearly dodgy.

SP8's
27-04-2012, 12:09 PM
Yeah , but i go for norton :eek:

You have got to be kidding ... Nortons is about the worst of the paid antivirus programmes ... if you want to pay for antivirus NOD32 would be the one to go for ... and you can go to their site HERE (http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/) and do an online scan for free.