PDA

View Full Version : Networking two PC's

29-10-2001, 01:24 PM
I have a desktop and a laptop which I have had networked together sucessfully when both were running Windows 98. Now that my desktop has Windows 2000 I can't get them to see each other. How can I get this to work again?

29-10-2001, 04:08 PM
Tony

I had this problem too, but my post to press F1 didn't get any responses. An extensive internet search didn't help either but in the end I got my Y2K/W98 network going with a little trial and error. However, I think my solution was not the ideal method and there has to be a better way.

To see what I did, go to the top of the F1 home page and search F1 for w2k/w98. That will bring up my original post and the answer I posted to myself!

I just checked and this search only brings up the one post thread so give it a go. I assume you have done all the usual things like getting the workgroup names the same etc. If my solution doesn't work for you hopefully somebody else will pick up the ball for you but my network is running fine.

Cheers

Jack

29-10-2001, 04:33 PM
I've done it ok.

Won't pretend it was easy though, can't remember exactly what I did, more fumbling around than anything.

Give both computers IP address's, no netbious, also used subnet mask 255.255.255.0 on both computers.

This site is pretty good http://www.helmig.com/

29-10-2001, 05:41 PM
Jack
I did the search but I only get my posting and your respnose. Can you copy it and email it to me thanks.
Tony
clarka@es.co.nz

29-10-2001, 08:14 PM
Here you go Tony

Below is my original question and follow-up post. For the record, my W98 box runs Client for Microsoft Networks, NetBEUI & TCP/IP. Default gateway is set as the IP adress of my Nokia Ni500 DSL modem which provides Internet access via a hub. Subnet Mask is the standard 255.255.255.0 and the computers have all been assigned IP addresses in the same group as the Nokia IP but with the last group individualised for each box. After setting up sharing etc I had a fully operational network.

Question 1
I run a small network with three W2K boxes and one Win98.

The network runs fine except for one small snag. I can log onto the Win98 box from W2K but when I try the reverse I get a Win98 password request and none of the administrator or user passwords seem to work. Fortunately most of the traffic is going to the Win98 box so it isn't a big problem but is there a default password that Win98 is looking for, or how do I set a new password in Win98? When logging on from W2K to any other box the password is the normal logon for the initiating machine.

I have tried the only logon and password that have been created for the Win98 box which is the Client for Microsoft Networks logon & PW but neither of these work.

I'm a bit baffled!

Thanks

Jack

My own answer:
Hmmmmmmmm!

No answers posted yet so this must be a curly one! Never mind, I think I might have found the answer myself so here it is for any other poor souls caught between the rinse and spin cycles.

To give a Win98 box access to a W2K box (at least on a simple peer to peer network), it appears that you have to set up guest accounts on each of the W2K computers.

On the Win 2000 computer, right click my computer then manage/local users/users. Right click guest in the right pane (should have a red circle/white cross showing) go to properties & uncheck last entry 'account is disabled'.

The Win98 computer will then logon using the W2k computer's logon password.

I might not have it all quite right yet but this gave me access to shared folders. The one logon seemed to give access to all the W2K computers but if the network was shut down you have to logon again and it seems that it doesn't matter which computer you use to logon so long as you use its own password. Might take a while to iron out the bugs so if anybody knows more details I'd be pleased to hear them.

Jack

04-11-2001, 08:45 PM
have to admit this before i say anytihng. No experience with win2k.
however, id recomend a look at the articles on networking at www.tweak3d.net very helpful and there is a win2k section.

-hope this helps the endless network battle