PDA

View Full Version : Windows freezing

Mike
26-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Windows 7 Pro. Been running fine, then yesterday (while we were out) it froze - completely, pressing num-lock key wouldn't even make the light go off-and-on. Restarted, then about 15 minutes later it just froze again. Does it all the time now, anywhere from a couple of minutes to a couple of hours, even with the PC just sitting there with nobody using it (its just on).

The only thing that's changed recently is the graphics driver updated on Tuesday night (whatever the most recent nvidia driver is). So naturally I assumed that's what did it, so I tried uninstalling and installing an older version. Problem is the computer keeps freezing or BSOD and can't do a proper uninstall, driver install, system restore. I think it is now running on the generic VGA driver (at an awful resolution) but it still hangs and freezes.

I'll try to do another system restore when I get home from work, but I'd be grateful for other ideas.

Cheers,
Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
26-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Might help if you tell us what the BSOD said. And if it shows the name of a file or driver

dugimodo
26-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Have you tried it in safe mode? Hold down F8 during startup and select safe mode form the menu that should appear. If that works try your system restore and driver install again and see how you go.

Also consider the possibility something has accumulated to much dust and is overheating. Check heatsinks and fan grills aren't clogged up and fans are spinning freely on the CPU and the GPU.

I've given up on system restore myself, I can't recall a time when it's actually fixed a problem for me. I have disabled it and use the windows 7 backup utility to create scheduled backups with a drive image instead, takes more space but actually works.

Mike
26-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Might help if you tell us what the BSOD said. And if it shows the name of a file or driverCan you remind me how to make it not auto-reboot on BSOD? It flashes up then restarts pretty quick. If I can make it not auto-reboot then I'll try to make it BSOD again when I'm home from work.

Cheers,
Mike.

Mike
26-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Have you tried it in safe mode? Hold down F8 during startup and select safe mode form the menu that should appear. If that works try your system restore and driver install again and see how you go.I tried safe mode, but can't remember now what I did when I was in there :D will try again later and let you know.

Also consider the possibility something has accumulated to much dust and is overheating. Check heatsinks and fan grills aren't clogged up and fans are spinning freely on the CPU and the GPU.I'll have a look - I had the case open not long ago and had a clean out, but its worth a look.

I've given up on system restore myself, I can't recall a time when it's actually fixed a problem for me. I have disabled it and use the windows 7 backuvp utility to create scheduled backups with a drive image instead, takes more space but actually works.Might give that a try once I've got it all going again, although at the moment I don't think I'd get the PC running long enough to do a restore without OS reinstall first (although that's sounding like a likely option right now).

Cheers,
Mike.

SolMiester
26-04-2012, 02:52 PM
I generally find that windows freezing is a memory issue, BSOD a hardware driver....does the system freeze when using the generic windows display driver?

Speedy Gonzales
26-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Can you remind me how to make it not auto-reboot on BSOD? It flashes up then restarts pretty quick. If I can make it not auto-reboot then I'll try to make it BSOD again when I'm home from work.

Cheers,
Mike.

Press / hold F8 down. When you turn it on. Select disable auto restart. Thats the easier way, if it keeps crashing in windows. Or if you use an ASUS mobo, press F5 instead. Since, pressing F8 will bring up the boot menu

Mike
26-04-2012, 06:07 PM
OK hopefully I can get this done before it happens again :)

BSOD message (well the bits that aren't telling me what to do about it):
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP: 0X000000D1 (0XFFFFFA0002E94B7A, 0X0000000000000002, 0X0000000000000008, 0XFFFFFA0002E94B7A)There was no filename in there.

Cheers,
Mike.

Mike
26-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Looks like it might be a memory error... :( hopefully something else (and fixable) :)

Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
26-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Mcafee isnt on this is it? That can cause that stop error

Mike
26-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Mcafee isnt on this is it? That can cause that stop errorNo Mcafee on here.

I did have an old USB stick on the back of my PC (forgot all about it) running as a speedboost (or whatever its called). When it Blue screened before I pulled it off. Been at least 15 minutes since then, still going... for now...

Mike.

Mike
26-04-2012, 07:03 PM
I should be so lucky. I still think this has something to do with my video driver - started a graphics heavy flash-based game and the system froze again...

Mike.

icow
26-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Running the latest flash player?

Mike
26-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Yes, latest flash player. And it doesn't only happen when using flash.

Mike.

Mike
26-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Happened again, different BSOD:
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
0x0000003B (0x00000000C0000005, 0xFFFFF96000153EAF, 0xFFFFF880045960C0, 0x0000000000000000)
win32k.sys
Address: FFFFF96000153EAF base at FFFFF96000090000 Datestamp 4f2b63bd

Time for a re-install? Hope not... or is it hardware (even worse)?

Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
26-04-2012, 08:12 PM
I would get an ISO of memtest burn it to cd then boot from it. Then test the memory

Mike
26-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Could insufficient power be a cause?

Mike.

Mike
27-04-2012, 09:23 AM
I would get an ISO of memtest burn it to cd then boot from it. Then test the memoryLOL went to do this but then remembered that I don't currently have a CD drive to burn with or boot from :) I'll see if I can get one set up to try it. I have however turned on the POST memory test and the Windows 7 memory diagnostic (run from the F8 menu while booting) and both passed.

Cheers,
Mike.

SolMiester
27-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Could insufficient power be a cause?

Mike.

Yes, what is the PSU, how old?

Mike
27-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Yes, what is the PSU, how old?It is old and I think about 320 or 350W. I used to have a 450W in there until a few months ago when it kicked the bucket - the one in there now came out of an old computer. But up until Wednesday it had been functioning alright, I had assumed it was enough power.

Mike.

SolMiester
27-04-2012, 03:51 PM
s the PC under load when it freezes?

Mike
27-04-2012, 04:18 PM
s the PC under load when it freezes?Doesn't seem to make a difference (sometimes yes, sometimes no)

Cheers,
Mike.

SolMiester
27-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Well, I would check memory and certainly try a decent PSU....

icow
27-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Windows 7 Pro. Been running fine, then yesterday (while we were out) it froze - completely, pressing num-lock key wouldn't even make the light go off-and-on. Restarted, then about 15 minutes later it just froze again. Does it all the time now, anywhere from a couple of minutes to a couple of hours, even with the PC just sitting there with nobody using it (its just on).

I have a friend who recently had this problem. Exact same thing. Ran a mem test, ram checked out ok. He had this problem for about a month until one day he lost video card signal when using a dedicated card and some USB ports stopped working. Got a new motherboard problem hasn't come back ever since. Note that video card not working and usb ports failing can be caused by a bad psu.

Paul.Cov
27-04-2012, 07:42 PM
I had Win7 blue screen on me this morning. Been getting issues since the latest update of Flash, but this is the first time it extended further than Firefox.

Have just updated the video drivers and will have to wait and see if it's sorted or not.

Mike
29-04-2012, 11:37 AM
OK now I'm stumped. I moved the computer out so I could open her up, so nothing plugged in other than monitor, keyboard, mouse, network. I'm watching temps while running the flash game (had 2x sessions open at the same time, CPU maxed out). CPU temps got to 64C max, GPU temp got to 48C max. Drives all cooler than that. Loaded up Dues Ex Human Revolution, maxed out every video setting I could find, had that running for about 5 minutes (can't do anything because my GPU can't cope with those settings)... but it hasn't crashed yet. Uptime so far 1 hr 15 mins.

So to me it indicates it might be PSU as nothing plugged into it... that said, I don't think there was really much plugged into it anyway - printer and a few USB cables for camera and phone etc. (without these devices attached anyway). Can't see anything else that was plugged in.

I just can't get it to crash now...

Mike.

Mike
29-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Just froze again - wasn't doing anything (wasn't even being used, I was in another room). Was up for approx 2 hours.

grrrr

Mike.

SolMiester
29-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Just froze again - wasn't doing anything (wasn't even being used, I was in another room). Was up for approx 2 hours.

grrrr

Mike.

A failing PSU drops its power on the rail at times, just as much as it can fail constant power under load, get a new PSU

Mike
30-04-2012, 08:31 AM
get a new PSUOK I'll get a new PSU (since I needed one anyway it's the first thing I'll try) :)

Any brand to get or stay away from? Pricespy list Hyena, Aywan, X-Case, A-Power, Cooler Master, Huntkey, PowerCase, iCute, Enermax, Aerocool, Gigabyte... and then they start getting out of my price range :)

Cheers,
Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
30-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Stay away from Hyena

Mike
30-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Stay away from HyenaLOL OK - are the others OK?

Mike.

dugimodo
01-05-2012, 12:28 AM
What are your system specs? i.e. what wattage PSU are we looking at.
Stay away from cheap PSU's in general, they only bring headaches in the long run.
Good brands off the top of my head (there are others);
Corsair
Seasonic
Enermax
Silverstone
Antec (I think)

Ok brands if you have to save a bit of cash (both exaggerate the power ratings but aren't total junk);
Cooler master
Thermaltake

Mike
01-05-2012, 08:43 AM
What are your system specs? i.e. what wattage PSU are we looking at.
Stay away from cheap PSU's in general, they only bring headaches in the long run.
Good brands off the top of my head (there are others);
Corsair
Seasonic
Enermax
Silverstone
Antec (I think)

Ok brands if you have to save a bit of cash (both exaggerate the power ratings but aren't total junk);
Cooler master
ThermaltakePretty low spec - I think 450W-ish should be enough (had a 420W in there I think for several years until that fell to bits a few months ago). I don't have a huge budget (well don't have any budget really), so was looking for around $50 (or less)

Cheers,
Mike.

Mike
01-05-2012, 08:46 AM
By low spec I mean:

Pentium dual core 2.5
3gb ram
geforce 8400
the usual few USB devices (phone, camera, printer)
firewire (not used much)
100mb ethernet to router
4x HDD
1x DVD

I think that's about it.

Mike.

dugimodo
01-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Well you don't get much on that budget, and despite previous posts it's not 100% proven that it's your issue but if you want to try one maybe;

http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA36212 I've ordered one of these for myself, it's on special but it seems to good to be true for a respected brand name.
http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA25050 And something like this would probably do for your system in a pinch

Mike
05-05-2012, 01:04 PM
I would get an ISO of memtest burn it to cd then boot from it. Then test the memoryI ran memtest from USB drive. Test passed, returned no errors. Took about 90 minutes to run.

Does that rule out RAM issues?

I have ordered new PSU (needed a new one anyway). Will see what difference that makes.

Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
05-05-2012, 01:16 PM
If it is a 320 or 350w you definitely need something over 400 maybe 500w. I would be surprised if 350w would power 4 hdd's. You'll be lucky if it could power the DVD :p

Mike
05-05-2012, 01:32 PM
I've ordered the 500W from dugimodo's link above. The current PSU isn't plugged into the DVD drive as I don't have enough SATA power connectors :) so its only got the 4x HDDs plugged into it (plus the Mobo)

Can a pass from Memtest now rule out RAM issues? or is that still possible?

Cheers,
Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
05-05-2012, 01:35 PM
The ram MAYBE OK. I think most people run it overnight tho. To see if any errors come up. But, you could wait for the PSU to arrive. And see if it freezes again. If it does, then I would run memtest overnight

Mike
05-05-2012, 01:41 PM
I ran it until it finished... or did I miss an option? I just left it going until it popped a message at the bottom saying the tests passed and no errors returned.

Cheers,
Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
05-05-2012, 01:43 PM
90 mins maybe OK. It may depend on how many sticks you've got. I would wait for the PSU, chuck it in. Then see how it goes

Ofthesea
05-05-2012, 08:59 PM
I've been getting a similar problem with my Win7 PC at work. Last thing I noticed was while running ok Skype was not working via usb headphones (skype messaging was ok).
After some research and finding similar symptoms I've turned off power management on usb devices and so far had no freeze ups. If it runs all next week I will be happy

Mike
06-05-2012, 08:51 AM
I've turned off power management on usb devicesHow did you do this? Just in Device Manager under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" > "USB Root Hub"? Or somewhere else (like on the USB device itself, i.e. mouse or keyboard)?

Thanks for the suggestion,
Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2012, 08:57 AM
The only entries (that I can see that have power management), are the USB hub entries under USB controllers, the mouse, the kb, the NIC, and firewire if you've got it. You dbl click on them and click on the power management tab

Mike
06-05-2012, 09:11 AM
OK I've turned off power management on the USB Root Hub. The mouse and keyboard had this option greyed out anyway (probably because I'd disabled on USB Root Hub). Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers,
Mike.

Mike
06-05-2012, 09:49 AM
I can now confirm that it didn't help :( worth a try though

Cheers,
Mike.

Ofthesea
06-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Yes it was USB Root Hub. I have also started updating drivers but have a long way to go on that task

Mike
10-05-2012, 03:25 PM
well it wasn't the PSU :( installed the new one today and I'm still getting the same thing. Usually just freezing, sometimes a BSOD.

Will try re-running memtest shortly, if that doesn't show any issues I'll try reinstalling Windows.

<sigh>

Mike.

wainuitech
10-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Wouldn't go counting on Memtest to be 100% sure either. Had it a few times on problem computers, left memtest running over night, no errors, change RAM and it works fine.

Have you actually looked at the event logs and the reliability monitor logs, often they will put entries in that give some sort of guide as to the problem.

Mike
10-05-2012, 04:04 PM
How long does memtest take to run for you that it needs to run overnight? This has been going for 23mins now and it's at 90%...

I have looked in the logs but didn't find anything useful (I think because mostly it just crashes/freezes, so computer not functioning enough to log it. But I'll take another look now that it's been a couple of weeks it might have caught something by now.

Mike.

Mike
10-05-2012, 04:09 PM
ah I see, it finished then started again :)

Mike.

wainuitech
10-05-2012, 04:25 PM
The reason for leaving it longer than 1 pass is because the longer its left, it writes differently and can load the system even more, it may not be the actual memory failing, could be memory controllers or other components on the Motherboard.

From Memtests site:
How long does memtest86+ run? How do I stop it?

Memtest86+ runs indefinately unless you stop it. It does however repeat the
same tests over and over again. Memtest86+ contains a number of different
tests which each take different approaches in trying to expose any errors in
your memory. In the top right of your screen you can see the progress of
each test in the lower of the two progress bars. The topmost progress bar
shows the progress of a pass, each pass consists of all the tests in the
memtest suite.

Thus all tests are executed in one pass, so does that mean that no errors
will show after the first pass if that pass didn't reveal any errors? Well
no, there are several reasons why errors might only show up after a number
of passes. Firstly as of this writing, the latest version of memtest also
includes a test which uses random test patterns, each pass these patterns
will of course be different. Secondly some types of errors simply don't show
up until the system has been running for a while or are very critical on a
certain timing condition, or other such conditions.

To conclude, one successful pass of memtest will give you a pretty good idea
that your memory is ok, only in rare cases will there be errors showing
after the first pass. To be sure though simply have the test run overnight
or even for a couple of days depending on the level of importance of the
system.
AND:
If memtest86+ shows no errors does that mean my memory is not defective?

Of course no answers are definitive, no matter how good memtest86+ will
eventually become there is always the possibility that a particular type of
error will go unnoticed. As long as you are having no problems with the
system it will be pretty safe to say that the modules are good. If you are
having problems with the system however you will just have to check by trial
and error, ie swapping the modules for new ones and/or testing with modules
of a different brand/type.
As I mentioned previously, I've run memtest before - memory comes up as Ok, yet the fault is still happening, change the memory and its gone.

The freezing could even be a the actual Graphic card failing under some conditions.

Mike
10-05-2012, 06:45 PM
ok thanks wainuitech, I'll run it overnight and see what happens. I think we're heading towards either RAM or Video card. I've reinstalled Windows and still got the problem :( unfortunately it takes DDR2 RAM, so not the cheapest anymore

Mike.

wainuitech
10-05-2012, 07:22 PM
At a guess, and from past experience, Id say its something to do with the Graphics Card.

Reason: In the past every time there has been a memory related problem on computers I have worked on it will show while doing the actual install.
Up to the point of installing separate drivers for your hardware, windows uses any inbuilt drivers.

Not saying its not memory, but it will normally play up reasonably fast during a install (if its going to).

Does the motherboard have onboard Graphics ??? If it does, remove the Video card and try running on those. That will soon tell you if its memory or video Card.

Mike
10-05-2012, 08:33 PM
At a guess, and from past experience, Id say its something to do with the Graphics Card.

Reason: In the past every time there has been a memory related problem on computers I have worked on it will show while doing the actual install.
Up to the point of installing separate drivers for your hardware, windows uses any inbuilt drivers.

Not saying its not memory, but it will normally play up reasonably fast during a install (if its going to).

Does the motherboard have onboard Graphics ??? If it does, remove the Video card and try running on those. That will soon tell you if its memory or video Card.at first I thought it was something to do with the graphics (well I thought it was the video driver), so could well be. I have no idea if the mobo has onboard graphics :D I'll take a look and see what happens. Would I need to physically remove the video card, or just plug the monitor into the onboard?

Cheers,
Mike.

Mike
10-05-2012, 09:02 PM
nevermind that was a stupid question :) I've taken the video card out and will see what happens.

Cheers,
Mike.

Mike
10-05-2012, 09:22 PM
damn! Well video card is sitting on my desk, and windows just froze again... guess its not that.

Mike.

wainuitech
10-05-2012, 09:31 PM
OK so thats eliminated the actual Video Card.

Next thing I would do, depending on how many RAM sticks you have, remove 1 and see if it freezes again. Of course it will be slower, but try to eliminate one at a time. if it still freezes with 1 removed, put it back in, and remove another till all have been removed. If its a actual RAM module it should stop freezing once the faulty ones removed.

Mike
11-05-2012, 09:38 AM
OK well I have 2 RAM sticks, a 2gb and a 1gb. I can't get Windows to start on just the 1gb - it could be faulty RAM, or it could just be that it's not enough RAM for Win 7 64bit? It started on about 2 of 5 or 6 attempts with the 1gb, then only stayed running for a couple of minutes. Sometimes blue screen, sometimes just restarted without warning (which has not been happening before with this problem that I can recall).

I'm now running on just the 2gb RAM stick. so far about 5 minutes no problem, will start doing more and see what happens.

Mike.

Mike
11-05-2012, 09:48 AM
I'll see how the 2gb goes for a while, and if no problems I'll put just the 1gb back in and run memtest on just that for a while... hopefully this is the problem

Mike.

Mike
11-05-2012, 10:00 AM
AAARGH!!!

Just got the 2gb in now and it froze again... so it might be the 2gb (and the 1gb just not enough to run Windows), or it could be both (is that likely?) or it could be mobo or cpu (running out of suspects aren't I?)

Mike.

wainuitech
11-05-2012, 10:11 AM
To quote microsoft :

1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

At 1GB it wouldn't "run" it would crawl :D

If the 2GB allows it to start, then try it alone, first in one Slot, then if it crashes, then the other. This is kind of testing the actually Memory Slots on the board. If it fails on both then its more than likely ( but cant guarantee it) that the 2GB is the faulty Memory.

If memtests shows its OK, as I previously mentioned it doesn't actually mean it is OK. Sometimes its suck it and see, by changing components. Any component can fail at any time, so yep, could be both, but it only takes one to falter to cause problems.

Mike
11-05-2012, 10:29 AM
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

If the 2GB allows it to start, then try it alone, first in one Slot, then if it crashes, then the other. This is kind of testing the actually Memory Slots on the board. If it fails on both then its more than likely ( but cant guarantee it) that the 2GB is the faulty Memory.Would it be worth installing Win 7 32bit so I can test it just on the 1gb stick? I'm not sure I want to come to the conclusion that it's the 2gb when I can't test without it (i.e. with the 1gb stick) because it won't run windows... Will 1gb actually run 32bit? (ignoring what Microsoft might say about it)?

Cheers,
Mike.

wainuitech
11-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Windows 7 32bit will start and work on 1GB of memory. It wont be winning any races, but it would be good enough for testing purposes. Dont expect it to do much to quickly.

Playing with words --- it wont "run" :D more like a walk ;) .

Mike
11-05-2012, 11:13 AM
ok this gets interestinger and interestinger :D

I switched the 2gb into the other RAM slot. PC starts and gets to about the time to start Windows and then restarts automatically. Switch the 2gb back and it starts fine. So I might try the 1gb in the slot I've got the 2gb in now and see what happens.

Would a mobo require RAM to be in a particular slot? One slot is yellow, the other is black (there are only 2 slots).

Mike.

Mike
11-05-2012, 11:23 AM
I've now got the 1gb in the slot that had the 2gb, Win 7 64bit running fine (slower than normal, but faster than my XP laptop with 512mb lol). Will see if it freezes again. Might be the 2gb, might be the RAM slots, might be something else altogether :)

Mike.

Mike
11-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Had it running on 1gb for about 15 mins before BSOD (and BSOD then froze, so didn't display whole message anyway)

So, is it RAM (both sticks), slots, or other mobo issue? or cpu? or HDD? lol

I'm getting the feeling I'm going to have to buy new mobo, cpu, and probably RAM :(

Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
11-05-2012, 02:15 PM
What does the BSOD say this time?

Mike
11-05-2012, 02:38 PM
it didn't display anything useful - no reference at the top to something failing, and the BSOD froze before it displayed any STOP codes at the bottom. All it said was the usual thing about if it's the first time this has happened then do such and such or if it keeps happening contact the administrator or whatever.

Mike.

Ofthesea
11-05-2012, 09:10 PM
ok my inherited work PC is still doing the same but lasting days before each freeze. An expert would say "take some measurements", "look at logs" etc so now I have performance monitor running and logging in a variety of modes on my second screen so hope to see something useful frozen there next time it happens, you should try it too (assuming it doesn't bsod)

Speedy Gonzales
11-05-2012, 10:22 PM
I would run bluescreenview and see what that says. If it stays in windows long enough. Just dont wipe the dmp files, if you use ccleaner

Mike
12-05-2012, 08:02 AM
wow I'd not seen bluescreenview before :) has a bit more info than is actually displayed on the bluescreen (and is showing the info the bluescreens didn't when they froze). USB rears its head a couple of times...

3786 3787 3788 3789

Mike.

Mike
12-05-2012, 08:46 AM
OK it doesn't get the BSOD where the computer freezes first - had 4 this morning already and only 2 captured.

Some days I can go all day without a freeze/lockup or BSOD, other days there can be heaps... looks like today might be a heaps day :(

Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Looks like usbport.sys and ndis.sys are crashing. Does this have a USB-Ethernet Adapter from Linksys?? Or any USB-ethernet adapter?

This can cause the usbport.sys file crash. This guy had the same prob (http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/450958-solved-stop-0x00000044.html).

Whats connected to the system, with USB (besides a printer)? The ndis.sys crash maybe related. Since, both have something to do with NIC's

Mike
12-05-2012, 10:59 AM
There's no usb-ethernet adapter. Currently attached to the system via USB is mouse and keyboard, occasionally my cellphone (doesn't make any difference if this is attached or not). Printer not currently attached (I unplugged to see if there was a difference). Nothing plugged into firewire adapter either (I have disabled this in Device Manager, no change). Router via ethernet cable (onboard ethernet port).

Mike.

Mike
12-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Looks like usbport.sys and ndis.sys are crashing. Does this have a USB-Ethernet Adapter from Linksys?? Or any USB-ethernet adapter?

This can cause the usbport.sys file crash. This guy had the same prob (http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/450958-solved-stop-0x00000044.html).

Whats connected to the system, with USB (besides a printer)? The ndis.sys crash maybe related. Since, both have something to do with NIC'sShould I disable my onboard network port for a while? Should I remove the extra USB port adapters? Or the firewire PCI card? I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try those.

Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Hmm it maybe the cellphone. Since the program for this (well here anyway), install drivers. So, you can get on the internet with it. And I'm pretty sure it'll also install stuff for a net connection / NIC drivers.

Try uninstalling the cellphone drivers. Whats the brand/model of the cellphone? And what program did you install for it? Even tho its not connected, the drivers for it maybe buggy, corrupt or something. Then see how it goes

It has something to do with USB and networking. And from what you've posted, the only thing that would do this, is the cellphone. If you disable the onboard NIC you wont be able to get on the net and reply to this post

Mike
12-05-2012, 11:10 AM
I have a spare PCI NIC that I can put in the machine (to rule out the onboard) similar to the guy in the thread you posted.

The cellphone is just an old Sony Ericsson w850 - been using it for years the same way. Only the Win 7 drivers loaded for it - I plugged it in and it loaded the drivers, I didn't install anything specifically for it. I'll try uninstalling the cellphone drivers if I can find them all (it did install about 5 different things when I plugged the phone in, but I didn't pay much attention to it).

Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2012, 11:12 AM
You could try a spare PCI NIC, but I dont think the onboard NIC is the prob

Mike
12-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Another thought - the cellphone cable was plugged into what I'd call an extension USB plug - not exactly the onboard USB, but one of the sockets that take a case slot and plugs into the motherboard (supplied with the motherboard). don't know if that would make any difference?

Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2012, 11:16 AM
That's possible. But its still crashing. Even if the cellphone isn't connected isnt it? Hmm probably not a good idea to uninstall the Win7 drivers (if you're using the Win7 drivers and nothing else). You could check and see on the Sony Ericsson site, if its got Win7 drivers for it. Which may or may not work better. If you plug the cell into a port and check windowsupdate, do any updates come up for it?

Mike
12-05-2012, 11:21 AM
lol too late, I've uninstalled the cellphone drivers (although it also gave me an option to also Delete the drivers - I did not select this option). Will see if it crashes again.

Mike.

Mike
12-05-2012, 11:48 AM
OK well I've had two crashes in the past 5 minutes :( one with a BSOD, but it doesn't seem to have got to dumping as bluescreenviewer doesn't see it. the other just froze (no bsod, just everything locks up).

8 times out of 10 the PC just locks up with no bsod.

Mike.

SolMiester
12-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Hi mike, how's it going, sounds like you still have issues?, did you swap the PSU?...do you know what the memory is, has freezing is memory issues, BSOD is driver issues....with the memory, you could bump the voltage a couple of points to help stabilize it. For BSOD, remove add on cards or disable devices from device manager to isolate the problem driver

Mike
12-05-2012, 12:51 PM
freezing is memory issues, BSOD is driver issuesseems odd they'd both start at the same time, doesn't it? I've not had freezing issues or bsod issues in the 3 or 4 years I've had this PC, but they all started about 3 weeks ago.

Mike.

Mike
12-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Hi mike, how's it going, sounds like you still have issues?, did you swap the PSU?...do you know what the memory is, has freezing is memory issues, BSOD is driver issues....with the memory, you could bump the voltage a couple of points to help stabilize it. For BSOD, remove add on cards or disable devices from device manager to isolate the problem driverYes I swapped out the PSU. Now have 500W Enermax PSU installed (its got more spare plugs than used ones :D) Shame it didn't fix the problem, but a new PSU was something I had to get anyway.

Not sure what brand the memory is, I just know one is 2gb, one is 1gb. Doesn't matter which one I have in the machine, it still freezes or BSODs. If only using one stick I can only start windows stably (or as stable as I can get with the freezing and BSOD) with RAM in Slot 0 (at least I think that's the slot 0), if I put in only slot 1 Windows won't start. If I have the RAM in both slots Windows starts fine.

I'll try removing all add-on cards and devices now.

Cheers,
Mike.

Mike
12-05-2012, 01:14 PM
OK I have now unplugged all extra USB sockets, removed the firewire card, unplugged the two IDE hard drives and the FDD (can't remember the last time I used that!). All I have plugged in at the moment is 2x SATA HDD, 1x SATA DVD, LAN, KB, Mouse. Will see what happens...

Mike.

Mike
12-05-2012, 01:39 PM
BSOD again... Driver IRQ not less or equal :confused:

This is frustrating :)

Mike.

SolMiester
12-05-2012, 02:08 PM
And in safe mode?

Mike
12-05-2012, 02:48 PM
And another BSOD along with 2 lockups :)

I'll try again in safe mode - I'm pretty sure there's no difference in safe mode (the lockups at least - not sure there were any BSOD in safe mode, but I haven't tried much/often)

Mike.

Mike
12-05-2012, 03:44 PM
And in safe mode?Safe mode locks up too, just tested it. I'm not sure what to do to try to get it to BSOD in safe mode - usually the BSODs happen when I'm doing something, the lockup/freezing can happen anytime (even when I'm out of the room).

Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2012, 07:24 PM
It may not BSOD in safe mode. The driver may not load for it to crash. If its still freezing, it maybe a hardware prob.

stratex5
12-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Could it be a hardware fault?

Mike
12-05-2012, 08:21 PM
I'm fairly sure its hardware, as I have formatted and reinstalled Win 7 and still have the same issues happening. I just can't figure out what part of the hardware is faulty.

Or maybe there's something wrong with the latest version of the Win 7 drivers for one of my devices?

Mike.

wainuitech
12-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Could be either - Suggestion - Try running it on a fresh install, just the basic Drivers that preload with windows.

If you must add drivers then try it as is first, see what happens. (ONLY one main Drive, and Optical Drive) --- Then if its OK, install as required chipset,Network, Audio, Graphic one at a time, and try each for a while unless its crashes before hand.

If it crashes on the default Windows drivers, disconnect the Optical drive - then its a case of trying different RAM, HDD, Graphic Card. "if" is still crashing then there may be a motherboard or CPU problem, But I'd suspect its more Motherboard than CPU.

Sometimes its a process of elimination to see whats actually causing it.

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Whats the mobo? None of the hdds are running in PIO mode are they? When you reinstalled Win7, did you disconnect the other hdds (besides the one you installed Windows on)?? Is there a card reader on this?

Mike
12-05-2012, 09:35 PM
The only drivers now are the ones that Windows 7 automatically installed for any devices when I installed it (some it may have auto-downloaded). Prior to the reformat I had used mostly drivers I had downloaded from vendors (geforce drivers, canon drivers, etc.) The optical drive has been disconnected, the graphics card removed.

The mobo is an Asus P5NMX IIRC. Don't know what PIO mode is? The two HDDs currently connected are both SATA. The other two I disconnected. There isn't a card reader.

Mike.

wainuitech
12-05-2012, 10:16 PM
This is a long shot, but nothing to lose.

Click start, type in MSINFO32.EXE Select it and open - when it opens, expand the + next to Software environment - click on "Windows Error Reporting" (may take a min or so to open - when it does, is there anything at the time of the BSOD's look for something common in the way of errors.:2cents:

Also have a look under Hardware Resources Have a look through everything under the lists, look for anything that says errors, conflicts etc. ( take note of the I/O) for any conflicts -- everything "should" read OK

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Did you install Intel Application Accelerator?? If you did, uninstall it. It looks like this can also cause that 0x00000044 stop error

Mike
13-05-2012, 09:34 AM
This is a long shot, but nothing to lose.

Click start, type in MSINFO32.EXE Select it and open - when it opens, expand the + next to Software environment - click on "Windows Error Reporting" (may take a min or so to open - when it does, is there anything at the time of the BSOD's look for something common in the way of errors.:2cents:

Also have a look under Hardware Resources Have a look through everything under the lists, look for anything that says errors, conflicts etc. ( take note of the I/O) for any conflicts -- everything "should" read OKThere was nothing that seemed remotely close to the time of any of the BSOD. In fact most of the error messages had times when I know the PC was turned off (2am, 3am etc.) which is kinda odd. I checked the PC time, it's correct...

Everything under Hardware Resources has an OK next to it. There are some things listed under Conflicts/Sharing section though - is that OK? The conflicts are:
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

IRQ 20 Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
IRQ 20 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1)
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge

Memory Address 0xFEFF0000-0xFEFF00FF System board
Memory Address 0xFEFF0000-0xFEFF00FF System board
Memory Address 0xFEFF0000-0xFEFF00FF High precision event timer

Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1)
Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1)
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1)
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge

Memory Address 0xEA000000-0xEBFFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1)
Memory Address 0xEA000000-0xEBFFFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge

Mike.

Mike
13-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Did you install Intel Application Accelerator?? If you did, uninstall it. It looks like this can also cause that 0x00000044 stop errorOnly if Windows 7 installed it automatically. The only things I installed myself after the reinstall was Office 2010 and FF and Chrome. Anything else that's installed came in with Windows 7 or its updates.

Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
13-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Well first thing I would do, is put updates on something else besides automatic. Otherwise, Win7 will download anything, and everything

stratex5
13-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Sorry, out of curiousity, have you overclocked any of your hardware?

Mike
13-05-2012, 01:25 PM
Well first thing I would do, is put updates on something else besides automatic. Otherwise, Win7 will download anything, and everythingOK... I have now removed all my hard drives, all other plugs, sockets, cards, etc. I put in a different HDD which hadn't previously been in this PC, so all in it now was the RAM, new HDD, DVD, keyboard, mouse. Installed Win 7, turned off auto windows update and turned off downloading drivers.
So I had Win 7 running only what it installed, nothing updated. PC locked up after about 30 minutes.

So from that I'd say it's mostly likely a Hardware problem, either mobo, CPU, or RAM. The issue occurs on either RAM stick, so I suspect it's not the RAM (but it might be).

Mike.

Mike
13-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Sorry, out of curiousity, have you overclocked any of your hardware?No.

Mike.

Mike
13-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Just had an odd BSOD I hadn't seen before - said something like "... tried to release a resource it did not own" (can't remember the first word or two). Dump never completed before system hung, so it isn't in the logs.

EDIT - Might have been "A thread tried to release a resource it did not own"

Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
13-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Is SP1 installed? Did you install anything off the ASUS dvd (since its an ASUS mobo)?? Like WinDVD, or Intervideo if its on the dvd?? It looks like this can cause that stop error 0x000000E3 (In vista, but it may also happen in Win7)

Symantec endpoint can also cause that stop error. You didnt install this, did you"?

Mike
13-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Is SP1 installed?Yes and No :) When the issues started Yes, since I've reinstalled etc. No.
Did you install anything off the ASUS dvd (since its an ASUS mobo)?? Like WinDVD, or Intervideo if its on the dvd?? It looks like this can cause that stop error 0x000000E3 (In vista, but it may also happen in Win7)No, haven't installed anything off the Asus dvd

Symantec endpoint can also cause that stop error. You didnt install this, did you"?No.

Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
13-05-2012, 08:00 PM
I could have a look with teamviewer, if you want. I'll have a look in startup and in event viewer. That last stop error is a driver I think

Mike
13-05-2012, 08:18 PM
That last stop error is a driver I thinkI suspect any driver issues are due to failling hardware, considering I haven't added any new hardware for a long time (over a year) and have had no problems until a few weeks ago, and now constant trouble since then. Even a fresh install with no new drivers added I still get the same issues. Safe mode too. The BSODs don't happen often - most of the time the PC just locks up and has to be restarted. Just need to figure out what hardware is failing so I can replace (although I suspect its mobo/cpu now and will need pretty much a new setup seeing as these are a couple years old now)

Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
13-05-2012, 08:29 PM
You did a clean install right? Not install Windows over itself? What BIOS is on it now??

Speedy Gonzales
13-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Umm does this support speedstep?? Look in the BIOS. If its enabled, disable it

Mike
14-05-2012, 06:00 PM
You did a clean install right? Not install Windows over itself? What BIOS is on it now??Yes clean installed both times (incl format from Windows setup). Not sure what BIOS is there - probably the original (I've had bad experience updating BIOS in the past so I steer clear of updating it).

I don't think I've seen Speedstep in there before, but I'll take a look next time.

Mike.

Ofthesea
14-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Stop any services you're sure you don't need ( like bonjour?). Also I have read that firewall settings should be checked to enable appropriate exceptions.
I will have to wait a week to see if they work for me - I'm not as fortunate as you !!

Ofthesea
23-05-2012, 09:36 PM
So is it still freezing?

Mike
23-05-2012, 11:29 PM
So is it still freezing?Yes, no change. Going to get new mobo, ram, cpu.

Mike.

Ofthesea
24-05-2012, 12:33 AM
My work PC still froze again but for almost a week have now been running putty (ssh) as administrator no probs. as yet - do you have any old Win XP apps running that are not as Administrator that might be suspicious?

Mike
24-05-2012, 07:31 AM
My work PC still froze again but for almost a week have now been running putty (ssh) as administrator no probs. as yet - do you have any old Win XP apps running that are not as Administrator that might be suspicious?No dodgy apps - this was happening on a totally clean Win 7 install. It's not a software problem.

Cheers,
Mike.

Slankydudl
24-05-2012, 08:10 AM
Tried putting in different ram?