PDA

View Full Version : playing external Hard Drive Media Player to a TV

rosenmarsh
26-04-2012, 08:45 AM
I have an HDD Media Player. I used it last a couple of years ago with a different TV and without any problems. Previously I used the VGA out cable but this has been lost somewhere along the line so I attempted to connect with the YPbPr cable and got the TV showing the Media player icons of photo, music, video and file. For some reason the remote control enter button wasn't working but that is a minor issue and I was able to use the 'enter' button on the media player. When i went into the File menu it showed nothing but a folder called ROOT with nothing in it. I am not able to enter any of the other icons as I am told "no file in this mode".
The hard drive has various .avi files and I know the hard drive supports these. I thought the problem was that I had not transferred the VLC media player .exe over but I have now done this and it has not made any difference.
On the hard drive I have a number of folders with .avi files in them and two windows backup files.
There are three output sockets:
- VGA out
- AV out
- YPbPr

The TV has two sets of relevant input sockets
- YPbPr DVI Audio input (two holes)
- YPbPr (three holes)

I was using a cable with three plug ends (blue, green and red) which match the colours of the holes on the TV. Clearly the HDD Media Player - TV connection is only working partially as it is not able to display the files on the Hard Drive (there is no problem when I connect the Hard Drive to the PC).I think the problem may be wrong cable but am not sure what kind of cable should connect which ports?

Many thanks

Matthew

stratex5
26-04-2012, 08:58 AM
There should be five cables ( red, white, yellow, blue and green) which connects to the ports which should be labeled dvd or component.

stratex5
26-04-2012, 09:05 AM
Sorry forgot something, i think because you cant see the files the output to view the files the cable cant transfer the type of file but anyway you should be able to see them. check your tv settings.

Mike
26-04-2012, 09:10 AM
The TV is just a display. Because you can see the menu on the TV then the connection to the TV appears to be working OK. The issue I think lies with the media player not seeing the files. What make/model of media player is it?

Mike.

dugimodo
26-04-2012, 10:27 AM
ROOT is just the name given to the part of the drive that is not inside any folders, do the folders show up at all or does it look completely empty?
Try putting an MP3 on the drive but not inside any folders, and maybe move an AVI there as well - just to see if the player can see them or play them from the ROOT directory.

VLC is a computer program and has nothing to do with a media player which has it's own built-in software. Also when you connect it to the PC, presumably via USB, you are reading it with the PC using it's own file system which again has nothing to do with what the media player can do.

As Mike said if you can see the menu the connection to the TV is working and we need more info to try and figure out the problem.

rosenmarsh
30-04-2012, 09:53 AM
ROOT is just the name given to the part of the drive that is not inside any folders, do the folders show up at all or does it look completely empty?
Try putting an MP3 on the drive but not inside any folders, and maybe move an AVI there as well - just to see if the player can see them or play them from the ROOT directory.

VLC is a computer program and has nothing to do with a media player which has it's own built-in software. Also when you connect it to the PC, presumably via USB, you are reading it with the PC using it's own file system which again has nothing to do with what the media player can do.

As Mike said if you can see the menu the connection to the TV is working and we need more info to try and figure out the problem.
First of all thank to all you guys for replying. The delay is cos I thought I would get an email if anybody replied to my thread but I will check in daily from now on.
So I tried your suggestion of putting an .mp3 file and .avi file outside the folders but it doesn't make any difference.
The media player is not a branded model - it just says HDD Media player. I have taken a picture but there does not seem to be an attach option.
When I attach it to my PC, I understand the PC is reading the media player. I don't think the TV settings are wrong in that when I click the AV source button on the TV remote control, I am given 4 options: TV, EXT 1, YPBPR and HDMI. The YPBPR option is the only one that gives me a picture.
The Root directory is completely empty. I am able to navigate around the Media player menu using the remote control e.g. go to set up, mode, move from photo icon to music icon etc. I assume that the problem is not with the cable in that because a picture is showing that the cable is doing it's job?
I had a think and the only thing that has changed since I last used the media player with a TV is that I reformatted it. At the moment explorer is showing C drive as having NTFS file system and the media player as RAW (I thought I reformatted the media player from FAT 32 to NTFS but I can't remember). Could this be the issue???

Thanks again for your help

Matthew

Speedy Gonzales
30-04-2012, 09:58 AM
You may have to post 10 posts before you can attach a pic / see the option...The hdd / C is fine formatted in NTFS. But I dont think the media player should be formatted as RAW. I would reformat the media player to FAT32, if its NTFS. Most of the external hdd's / media players I've read about only support FAT32 not NTFS. And yup, I would say that's why its not working now

rosenmarsh
30-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Yeah kind of realised that the problem was the formatting although don't understand what happened with my attempt to do the NTFS reformat a few months ago. How do I reformat the media player to FAT32 without losing my files? I can still access and play files on the media player via my PC. I haven't got room on the my C drive to transfer the files back over so is there a way I can reformat without with the files still on the media player?

Speedy Gonzales
30-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Dont think you can reformat it back to FAT32, A third party windows program may do it. But I dont think windows will (by itself). Only other way is copy them to a USB flash drive (depending on how many files are on the media player). Format it, then copy them back after.

You maybe able to format external hdd's / media players to NTFS. But it doesnt mean its going to work later. I think most people assume NTFS is better since you can use files over 4 GB. But that depends on whether the external hdd / media player actually supports NTFS. If it doesnt, its not going to work

rosenmarsh
02-05-2012, 09:24 AM
OK I am back again :crying
I transferred files to another computer and formatted the media player to NTFS using windows explorer. I tried both quick format and normal format. Still same problem with not showing files on the TV. The only other option was to format to exFAT but it won't allow me to do that "Windows was unable to complete the task". I checked the manual and it does not specify what format the media player should be in but I think it was formatted in FAT 32 or FAT16 when I bought it. So I am stuck - please help!

dugimodo
02-05-2012, 09:42 AM
hmmm, windows 98 might do it if you can find a machine that old other wise try this http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/format-large-hard-drive-fat-fat32/
seems like XP can do it from the command line

Iantech
02-05-2012, 09:45 AM
http://www.verbatim.com/index/support.php?lang_id=1&cat=9&action=downloads&pid=5411&aid=197

or

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm

should help you get back to Fat32. Good luck.

rosenmarsh
02-05-2012, 09:47 AM
I downloaded FAT32 Formatter and will let you know how it goes

Bryan
02-05-2012, 10:38 AM
Most TVs(if not all) only read FAT32. Once you reformat the media drive back to FAT32 and copy in your files then I would expect that you will be good to go.

rosenmarsh
09-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Everything sorted - I used http://www.verbatim.com/index/suppor...d=5411&aid=197 as the interface was very simple, converted to FAT 32 and away. I think the problem was that I had reformatted the drive to NTFS and not realised it wasn't compatible with playing to TV.
The picture doesn't fill the whole screen - bands at top and bottom. Is there any way to make these smaller? - I have played with media player preferences: NTSC and PAL and also TV display (wide,normal/ps, normal/lb) but that is best I can get it. The DVD player picture has smaller bands at top and bottom...

Anyway thanks again for all your help ;)

Matthew