PDA

View Full Version : Fair go

plod
25-04-2012, 06:21 PM
There is a piece on data usage From apps tonight

paulw
25-04-2012, 08:10 PM
It's bound to be a piece of over the top hype.. Will wait and see though..

wainuitech
25-04-2012, 10:04 PM
So some News feed app causing all the problems. Just checked my phone doesn't have it :)

plod
25-04-2012, 10:28 PM
The point being wainui, even when the app was meant to been deleted it was still sending and recieving data.
Although I must say needing an app to delete an app is a novel idea

Chilling_Silence
25-04-2012, 11:19 PM
:O what'd I miss? :D

Speedy Gonzales
25-04-2012, 11:58 PM
AP Mobile hogging data, on vodafone cells / smartphones. Even if you didnt use it it used data in the background

plod
26-04-2012, 12:04 AM
It was part of the bloat ware installed on galaxys2 and notes from the factory

Chilling_Silence
26-04-2012, 02:32 AM
Just found it online here:
http://tvnz.co.nz/fair-go/wednesday-april-25-4850765/video

Widget for "AP Mobile" is notorious for checking things, however the application shouldn't be running unless the end-user (Damien in this instance) has told it to.

Also, it's not specifically good advice to download a Task Killer. In fact, I would suggest it's quite the opposite. Killing the app is less than ideal, because it gets users in to the habit of doing something that Android does incredibly well on its own. What would be better is addressing the root cause.

In this case, that app is *known* not to use any data, it's set for manual refresh and won't even load up unless the end-user explicitly fires it up after a power on.
If the end-user has installed a widget, again it will automatically start in order to power the widget. If they set it for regular updates, then again it's on their own head.

There are many rich-media applications like this for the news, things like Google Currents is another good example. It *will* use data as it pulls down higher resolution images and 'pre-caches' the stories on your phone.

Apps like this can easily use up to a hundred megs a day, it's nothing out of the ordinary, when they're configured on their most aggressive refresh schedule. Presumably if he's whored it all during lunch, he was on an incredibly small plan, perhaps a 100MB a month plan that he'd already used a bit of and it just happened to push him over the edge as it pulled all the new stuff. In fact my money says he left home / the office in the AM, found the app during the day, had a fiddle with it, told it to pull the updated news stories (Regardless of how frequent) and it precached all the current stuff. He goes to lunch, still on 3G, and it does what it's told and pulls the news.

Fault of the application?
Perhaps, some have settings that allow them to only be updated via Wifi. It also doesn't load when you turn on the phone by default, so the user has either setup a widget, or has fired up the phone. Restarting the phone means it won't come back unless the widget is there (I'm pretty sure AP Mobile doesn't run as a service on boot). This makes a task killer even further bloat and totally unnecessary considering the functionality to stop apps running has always been built in to Android. It also only refreshes as often as the end-user tells it to.

Fault of the user?
Perhaps, he could have thought it through a little better than "I want to download this rich media / news, I'm on 3G, it surely can't be much". However presuming the end-users are logical isn't a clever idea from the manufacturers perspective. If he's set up a widget for it, and told it to refresh automatically, it's simply doing as it's told.

Fault of the manufacturer?
Perhaps, Samsung put the application on there, and factory-installed applications that ship with the firmware aren't usually removable unless a few certain conditions are met. They put a lot of apps on though, most of them are quite liked by customers, this one included.

Fault of Android?
Perhaps, however in Android-4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) there exists the functionality to both 'freeze' a factory-installed application that the end-user doesn't want (And ICS has been out for the SGS2 for a while I believe which he should have been running), as well as the ability to monitor your 3G data, restrict the background data usage of applications, restrict applications from using 3G data at all... And these functions are also available through 3rd party apps for older Android-2.3 (Gingerbread) and earlier firmwares

Fault of Vodafone?
Perhaps, they could have educated the end-user a bit more about what they were getting themselves into by signing up for 3G data, as well as how to prevent that kind of thing happening on their phone. It only takes a minute, but the right advice of "You can freeze apps or restrict 3G data" as opposed to "use a task killer to kill it when it loads up" will make a *massive* difference! Vodafone and Telecom both allow for a "data shock", once for the life of your account. If you happen to go over, and you get a surprise bill, provided it's not some obscene amount and you're not roaming, for the better part they'll simply waive the charges and be nice to you. Hell I even had it happen to me when I was with Orcon and they were having DNS issues. I tapped on a link to download some firmware, it didn't work. Tried again, didn't work. Tried reloading the page and then hitting the link again, didn't work. As soon as I dropped off Wifi onto 3G while I was sleeping, the firmware downloaded 3x via 3G, blowing my limit. I only went over by 20MB so Telecom were happy to waive the charges and reset my monthly limit. It happens to all of us I guess, so the Telcos are quite good in that respect, they're not obliged to do anything like that, though the "goodwill" from them is certainly appreciated.

If you ask me, I don't think anything was "wrong" except for perhaps a little education of the end-user, and no doubt this is something we will see more of. It's like letting somebody run wild on a PC without telling them "Don't open attachments from UPS that say they have a package for you". Simple things like "Be careful about what you set to automatically update, such as new application updates, or information within applications such as news, as it can use your 3G data".

paulw
26-04-2012, 10:00 AM
I had a look on my Telecom supplied SGS2 and can't find this app so maybe it is only on Vodafone supplied ones..

Chilling_Silence
26-04-2012, 10:47 AM
As far as I'm aware the apps bundled with the firmware are vetted by the carrier, for example AT&T in the US bundles different apps from T-Mobile, and because of this each carrier releases the new OS updates at different times.

wainuitech
26-04-2012, 11:04 AM
The point being wainui, even when the app was meant to been deleted it was still sending and recieving data.
Although I must say needing an app to delete an app is a novel idea I know that :) -- Thats why I watched the program after you posted it was on. I have a friend in Auckland, she was complaining that a few months back she got a invoice from Vodafone totalling over $1200 for excessive usage for traffic / download on her phone, and all she does on the internet related is read emails. This may be the cause ?

Chilling_Silence
26-04-2012, 11:09 AM
See a more sensible suggestion from Vodafone would have been to install 3G Watchdog (And possibly APNDroid to disable 3G Data once it hits 99%), and educating customers (Specifically in this instance where they should be running ICS I believe? Have we begun pushing it out locally?) on how to use the OS's built-in per-application bandwidth monitoring facilities to show which application is utilizing all their data allowance.

It's incredibly easy:
Settings --> Data Usage
I'm not sure that it gets any easier really?

paulw
26-04-2012, 02:05 PM
I just did the official ICS upgrade to my Telecom SGS2 and I notice that the AAP app has been installed as a part of this upgrade but i can see how to uninstall it.

Another interesting this is after this upgrade I can't get 3G to work on Vodafone. GSM works fine and 3G works fine on XT, SKinny and 2D. The APNs are correct. Strange as MMS works fine..

paulw
26-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Ok sorted the Voda 3G. Had to get the APN send from Vodafone again and once installed it went..

Chilling_Silence
26-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Push the App Menu button to bring up your App / Widget list. Tap and hold on the application, then drag it up the top to "Info".

From there you have the "Disable" button.

paulw
26-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Push the App Menu button to bring up your App / Widget list. Tap and hold on the application, then drag it up the top to "Info".

From there you have the "Disable" button.

Found it in the list of widgets etc but how to drag it to the info. I can only drag it to the desktop, open it and found that refresh was turned off..

Chilling_Silence
27-04-2012, 02:48 AM
This is only available for Android-4.0 ICS. If you have that, you should be able to drag it to the top of the screen where the (i) is, just like you drag to your home screen.

Renmoo
27-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Gosh, my co-workers had been asking me questions about the Fair Go episode aired last night.

I simply said I've got Avast Firewall to take care of the situation for me :D

Chilling_Silence
27-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Thing is you don't even need that, the functionality is *built in* to the OS these days ...

plod
27-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Thing is you don't even need that, the functionality is *built in* to the OS these days ...
Would that be for the .5% of ICS devices in NZ

Renmoo
27-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Interesting. Is the feature somewhere in the settings?

Greven
27-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Didn't Vodafone only release ICS updates today?

paulw
28-04-2012, 10:47 AM
According to John R on Geekzone . Yes.

Renmoo
29-04-2012, 12:26 AM
Didn't Vodafone only release ICS updates today?
The update came out ~two weeks ago.

Chilling_Silence
29-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Cool so although the issue for this chap on TV occurred a while back, the *best* solution, currently, would be to have customer devices upgraded and then simply use the built-in tools.

coldfront
29-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Glad I still have a Nokia thats 10 years old and not got all this flash troublesome stuff on it :)

Renmoo
29-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Glad I still have a Nokia thats 10 years old and not got all this flash troublesome stuff on it :)
I heard that phones like yours are currently selling quite well on TradeMe because tradesmen are always on the look-out for reliable un-destructible phones.

Greven
29-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Don't you miss the days where phone bounced?

gary67
29-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Don't you miss the days where phone bounced?

yes I do I have a cheap Nokia does calls and texts only, not even a camera love it. I used to have one of those blue rubber covered Nokias when I was building as it bounced well when dropped and was shower proof if working in the rain, if it hadn't got run over by a digger I would still be using it. I can see where smart phones have an advantage but for the average Tom, Dick or me a total waste of money my monthly cell bill is under $18

paulw
29-04-2012, 02:05 PM
I guess if I was out doing construction work I would use a ruggedized fone like the Samsung Rugby but as I don't a smart fone will do nicely.

Nomad
29-04-2012, 02:16 PM
I use Nokia Maps so it's free, no data needed, takes longer to get your location.
Then wifi at the accom for free :D
I probably spend $70NZ per year :D