PDA

View Full Version : Bios won't see my secondary Master HDD

29-10-2001, 11:59 AM
My SecondaryHDD (Linux) is onthe same channel as my CD drive-my bios won't pick up any drives at all (also have a Primary Master & slave-Win2K)Only way to see my Linux drive is to unhook Primaries ,and connect Linux drive to Primary IDE channel.How do I get to see ALL my drives without opening my box every time?My idea was to be able to run either OS while I'm getting my Linux feet wet?

29-10-2001, 12:40 PM
First thing to double check is that the master/slave/stand alone jumpers on the drive are set correctly.

Secondly, on your Primary IDE are you running two HDD or one HDD and something else... quite often BIOS doesnt like having a HDD on the secondary channel, so it may pay to shuffle your drives to have both HDD on the primary channel.

29-10-2001, 12:43 PM
I'd suggest putting the second HDD on the primary IDE channel as a Slave (with your main HDD as Master on the same channel). Then make sure your main drive has the jumpers set to Master, and the secondary one set to Slave. If they're both set to the same thing then it'll only detect one of them.

29-10-2001, 01:03 PM
Jumper settings are correct;setup is:Primary IDE=2 HDDs;secondary IDE :CD & (attempted) secondary MasterHDD(I have attempted jumper setting as secondary slave too).Can I hook up thid drive to a PCI mounted add-in channel?Is there such a thing?
Assume I can attach

29-10-2001, 04:11 PM
Can the bios (and W2000) find the CDROM (as the only device) on the second ide? How are you booting? Are you using LILO? I would carefully, line by line, page by page, examine the BIOS setup. There might be some silly thing ...
If you have a Linux install boot floppy (or pair), try that. The messages sent to the screen while booting show *all* the hardware that Linux can find; not necessarily based on what the BIOS says. If you have installed from a bootable CDRom you should have the floppy images on the CD, and a programme RAWRITE to make the floppies. There might even be a DOS batch file to make them. You can just powerdown from the floppy boot(without having to reinstall).

29-10-2001, 04:23 PM
Advice is all useful-the simple truth is that my bios sees NOTHING when my Linux HDD is added to the mix-zilch!With that drive unhooked,bios/Win2K sees both primary Master/Slave & CD.I'm convinced this is a bios/hardware problem,but shall ponder the boot information Linux supplies (a steep learning curve for this persistent idiot)