PDA

View Full Version : BSOD: New MoBo needed?

Jayess64
23-04-2012, 05:54 PM
I think I know the answer to the question, but I would appreciate a second (or third...) opinion.

Setup: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3 Mobo, 1 year old; 4 x 2 GB RAM; i5-2400 CPU.

A few hours ago I got a BSOD - before I could read what was on the screen (not that it would have done me much good) the system reset and tried to restart. It went into a cycling mode where the power lights and fans would run for about 2 sec, stop, and then start again.

I swapped a spare PSU I had stored but that didn't help; taking out the graphics card ditto. I then took out the 4 RAM modules, and this time the system would try to start, ie it would stay powered up. I replaced 1 RAM module and got a complete restart, Windows running etc. Replacing another module took me back to the fault state, so I took that module out and inserted the other two modules, giving me 6GB total. Once again, successful startup. Then just to be pernickety, I took a module from its slot and put it into the one previously occupied by the 'faulty' module. The same fault re-appeared, with the power cycling every couple of seconds. Returning the RAM module back to its original position made everything good again. The RAM slot appears to be the problem, not what is in the slot.

So, it seems I have a problem involving RAM, but it is on the MoBo, not a faulty module. Does that seem a reasonable conclusion? I have no idea what exactly is going on, but I presume that something on the MoBo has gone belly up and the best thing is to replace the board. Hence my question in the title.

wainuitech
23-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Does sound like the Memory Slot has failed.
One of my workshop computers does the exact same thing- 4 slots, ones knackered but it plods along fine on the other 3.

If its only a year old, the motherboard should still be under warranty, Gigabyte boards come with a 3 year warranty.

If the place you purchased it from has only sold it with a 1 year they are trying to rip you off.

Jayess64
23-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Does sound like the Memory Slot has failed.
One of my workshop computers does the exact same thing- 4 slots, ones knackered but it plods along fine on the other 3.

If its only a year old, the motherboard should still be under warranty, Gigabyte boards come with a 3 year warranty.

If the place you purchased it from has only sold it with a 1 year they are trying to rip you off.

Thanks, that was a quick reply!
I checked the invoice for the board, and it came with a 3 year warranty. I,ll phone the supplier tomorrow. Interesting that you have seen the same thing, it took me by surprise.

wainuitech
23-04-2012, 07:16 PM
In My case its an older Socket 775, so not at all surprised its failing, but upon saying that its been like that for about 6-9 months.