PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Update Nag...........Question..

Billy T
22-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Hi Team

FF has been nagging me to update for some time now, but it has started getting pushy and is now warning of potential protection issues if I don't.

The main reason for not running yet it is that I am concerned that it might bugger up my present setup. I am swamped with work at present, so I simply don't have time to be reconfiguring etc, hence my other recent questions that I might otherwise have tried to sort out myself.

So, if I allow it to update, will it retain all existing settings and behaviours?

If so I'll bite the bullet and give it the nod.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :)

Speedy Gonzales
22-04-2012, 11:57 AM
It doesnt touch settings. So you dont have to reconfigure anything (well I've never reconfigured anything after its updated itself). Altho depending on what addons are installed, it may disable them (if theyre not compatible with the version of FF). Until you update them (the addons, if there is an update). It'll probably get an update next Wednesday (maybe anyway). I think V12 maybe out then

Peter H
22-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Why don't you turn off updates info in tools - options?
Not sure why people even bother to update all the time, when an existing version is working OK

Speedy Gonzales
22-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Because like anything else older versions usually have bugs and vulnerabilities. So, if you dont update, you'll probably get hit by it

pctek
22-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Because like anything else older versions usually have bugs and vulnerabilities. So, if you dont update, you'll probably get hit by it
Hit by what? I don't update my software all the time, not even Windows.
Never had an issue on my PC either.

May PCs with patched O/S and the latest versions of whatever came through my workshop - full of malware.

Some AS and an AV and load of common sense does wonders.
FF is mostly patching their performance anyway...and then patching the patches.

Relying on a browser company to keep you safe is nuts.

Speedy Gonzales
22-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Some may think otherwise. Not updating probably wont hurt anything. But its what you use and where you go to, that can stuff things up.

Peter H
22-04-2012, 02:51 PM
V 6.0 of FF caused widespread problems - that's why I'm still using V 5.0
Same with MS Fixes !!
I'm with pcteck on this one all the way

CliveM
22-04-2012, 04:11 PM
I can think of no sane reason for any company to deliberately put out an update with the intent to cause problems. I always update FF, Windows and most programs to the latest version and 'touch wood' it has never given me a problem. On occasion FF addons need an update which always turns up in a day or two, I am ok with a short delay. Having said that I do have a good back up regime going and I am confident that I can recover with little effort if it does all turn to s***.