PDA

View Full Version : YouTube audio through remote (wireless) speakers

rugila
22-04-2012, 10:46 AM
No problem with using wires, but I want to do this by wireless. Using Win7 professional.

It seems Belkin and Logitech (maybe others) make devices whereby can access remote speakers with Bluetooth.

I didn't want to buy one of those on the offchance it would work OK, but I remembered I had an old Apple Airport Express. This was easy enough to set up to play audio (MP3 etc) from my laptop wirelessly through the remote speaker. Itunes and (I think) Windows Media Player and presumably others give the option of which speaker setup to use.

But I haven't figured out how to play the audio from video files (MP4, FLV, etc) this way. And listening to YouTube it always reverts to playing through the computer speakers (or wired extensions) and not though the wireless connection.

I'm just looking for ideas on this. Being hopeful ...?

Speedy Gonzales
22-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Change the default sound to the wireless if it appears under sound in control panel

rugila
22-04-2012, 01:34 PM
Change the default sound to the wireless if it appears under sound in control panelIt doesn't appear.

The only 3 options listed under Control Panel -->Sounds -->Playback are:
Speakers/HP 2ITD high definition audio (default)
Headphones (RTC) 2ITD high definition audio (not plugged in)
Speakers Bluetooth hands-free audio (disconnected)

I don't have Bluetooth speakers. The speakers I use are stand-alone, with a WiFi connection to the laptop through the Airport Express.

The first of the above 3 options seems the only usable one.

However iTunes obviously does something with the sound to use the connection for MP3 etc. I haven't figured out how to do this with WMP, if indeed it's possible.

Speedy Gonzales
22-04-2012, 02:03 PM
If this means the same thing, then no you cant

Question: Can I use other applications, like QuickTime or Windows Media Player, to send sound to AirPort Express via AirTunes?

Answer: No.

Thats from the Apple site

rugila
22-04-2012, 02:40 PM
If this means the same thing, then no you cant

Question: Can I use other applications, like QuickTime or Windows Media Player, to send sound to AirPort Express via AirTunes?

Answer: No.

Thats from the Apple siteHmm ...

That seems a good definitive answer.

But the question was really raised in a Windows context.
The only way Apple seems involved here is I'm using their Airport Express 'coz it's the only spare WiFi receiver I happened to have handy.
Presumably there's a variety of other hardware and Windows software than can do this thing, viz. play audio on remote speakers though a wireless connection. Like, another laptop could do but I don't want to set up a spare laptop next to (that is, connected by wires) to the speaker.

And I've tried Windows Media Player and Quicktime and GOM player, but none seem to do it.

So I guess the answer is, "Not with the Airport Express. Try something else!" (Back to the drawing board )

kahawai chaser
22-04-2012, 03:30 PM
There is dicussion on the VLC forums, (http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=79400) using command line scripts to play/screen multimedia. Supposedly can play (or sound) from VLC's playlist (http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/8-new-features-in-vlc-10-that-will-make-you-rejoice/) via streaming.

rugila
22-04-2012, 04:13 PM
There is dicussion on the VLC forums, (http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=79400) using command line scripts to play/screen multimedia. Supposedly can play (or sound) from VLC's playlist (http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/8-new-features-in-vlc-10-that-will-make-you-rejoice/) via streaming.Thanks. I'll be interested to have a good look at that.

But any thoughts on an alternative, non-Airport Express, device that will do this, that is, stream the audio part of video files wirelessly to remote speakers?

Speedy Gonzales
22-04-2012, 04:38 PM
What do the wireless speakers belong to? A stereo or that Airport express?

rugila
22-04-2012, 05:34 PM
What do the wireless speakers belong to? A stereo or that Airport express?
Nothing at all to do with the Airport Express.

Just a TDK (3 individual speakers) that I used for direct computer output for several years. It has an adequately good sound for the job, very much better than the built-in computer speakers.

It just uses a standard stereo jack which goes into any stereo plug such as on most laptops, the Airport Express also has one. Mains powered.