PDA

View Full Version : Network Project

mycloudy
20-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Hi Everyone.

First time posting here. We are re doing a ski lodge and are going to wire it up with network. We have never had internet there before, but we are getting it now. We are going to put in two WAPs in various locations in the lodge.

We have run CAT6 to various locations in the lodge, and in some cases have run more than one cable.

I have a couple of questions:

* Tradionally we have only run Catogary cable and connected the white and blue cables all at one central location. Since we have Data too, we have decicided to use a patch panel. The plan is to connect all of the cables to the patch panel, and then I can do what ever from there. Do you think this is a good idea?
* How should I join the telephone cables (we only have one phone line) (the network is easy, I connect it all to a switch)?

* We may have a fair few people connected to the wireless at once, we want a decent wireless access point. Can you recommend one?

* Should we wire in a Master ADSL Splitter to the Phone line coming in?

* Should we locate the ADSL Modem in the office or network cabinet?

Thanks in advance for your replies :),
Tim

gary67
20-04-2012, 08:21 PM
I would put the DSL modem somewhere it cannot be tampered with maybe locked away, but make sure there will always be someone who can access it so that if it needs rebooting it can be. My reason for locking it away though is because there will always be someone who thinks they know what they are doing but doesn't and they could screw the whole thing up

CYaBro
20-04-2012, 09:48 PM
If you're running cables you should be running at least two to each location, one is almost a waste of time because the cost of the cable is nothing compared to the time taken to pull it to where ever you need it.
Having two at each location means you can have a phone and network connection. You can do it with one cable but it means you need to use splitters and looks messy.

You will definitely want a patch panel where all cable runs are fully punched down - i.e. all 8 wires in the each CAT6 cable must be punched down in the correct order.
You can then patch in phone or data depending on what you want at each location.
You will also want to have a master xDSL filter to get the best possible xDSL connection.

For the APs I would recommend the Ubiquiti Unifi APs, they come as a single unit or in a 3 pack.
Have a look at www.gowifi.co.nz.
They are very small, look like a smoke detector, and come with power over ethernet adapters so you could have the power supplies located at the patch panel and can then connect the APs where ever you like, as long as there is an ethernet connection, no need for a power point as the power and data come down the one ethernet cable.

mycloudy
21-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Thanks for that. Thoses WAPs look good. How would you recommend that I join the telephone lines at the patch board? Should I wire in a bt master socket and stick a 4 way adapter in it and use bt to rj45 leads?

Webbnzl
21-04-2012, 10:26 AM
I would get whoever is doing your patch panel to split the phone line at that point into 4 and then you can just use RJ45 patch cables rather than adapters.

CYaBro
21-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Get one of these for the incoming line to split into xdsl and phones:
http://www.sigtech.co.nz/webapps/site/72000/160670/html/page.html?showFullSite=1
Should be able to pick one up at any electrical wholesaler.

afe66
21-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Goto the Chorus website. It has a number of guides on how to wired houses to data/internet etc.

A.

http://www.chorus.co.nz/wiring

There are others guides too.

Speedy Gonzales
21-04-2012, 09:47 PM
How many rooms are there? You could use cordless phones, that plug into a power point (if there's only a few). Then you wouldnt need lines. And use powerline adapters. Then you wouldnt need cables. Just one from the router/modem to one powerline. And depending on how many pcs were in a room get either a single powerline, or a 4/5 port powerline for each room

Only thing is, it would only have 1 number

Greven
21-04-2012, 11:51 PM
If you want it to be really nice & tidy, you can put in 2 rows of jacks at the patch panel. Connect your wall jacks to the bottom & your phone line to the top, then put a short patch cable from the bottom jack to the top jack for each wall socket you want to be a phone line.

I have never done this myself, but in theory you should be able to use a punchdown tool without a cutter to terminate a single long phone cable to multiple jacks. If you don't already have a splitter, you can just use a normal filter & connect cables from the phone & DSL ports to the patch panel.

I looked into this for myself a while ago, but decided to run a cable direct from the point of entry to the only phone jack I use instead. I found a good diagram explaining it, but can't find it back now.

SolMiester
26-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Depending on the size of the lodge, you may want to look at UniFi Networks. You can have as many AP's as you like and they are controlled by a PC where you can configure Guess Access\Portal, and can isolate from the lodges secure network...

I put it in our workplace a couple of months ago, it works really well!

WarNox
26-04-2012, 08:07 PM
+1 to PoE Access Points but they won't be cheap. I've installed a few Aerohive ones and they're awesome for high traffic volumes but you'll pay the price. I think a decent linksys one should be just fine too though.

Buy the patch panels from trade me, I got my 24 port one for $5 and it's been all good. You can probably find a small comms rack too and that way you can fit everything in there and lock it up.

Yes, put in a master spliter on the line to split the DSL wires and run directly to patch panel. As someone said, that way you can do whatever you want from there with RJ-11 or RJ-45 cables.