View Full Version : Virtualdub/Xvid file size issues

17-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Bit baffled here, I've recently been doing a bit of work with an in car camera that records in 1080p, and saves clips in .MOV format. An uncompressed 10min clip is around 1GB, give or take.

I use virtualdub to trim and downsize the files, using the xvid codec, and a target quantizer of 4, then save the clip as an .avi. The 10min 1GB clip would then be around 180mb - 200mb with no discernible quality drop.

With the last batch of videos, I've done exactly the same thing as previous, but the file sizes of the rendered .avi files are around 800mb for a 10min clip. I haven't changed any settings in virtualdub, the only thing that may have changed would be the k-lite codec pack was possibly updated, but I'm not sure on this.

I've attached a couple of GSpot screenshots of the different files so you can see the difference in the files - if anyone has any thoughts about what might have caused this, or how I can fix it that would be much appreciated. I'm not all that knowledgeable with codecs and the like, so there may even be something in the GSpot screenshots that give it away, but I can't see it. :p

Thanks. :)


17-04-2012, 01:01 PM
I don't use VD but as far as I can see from those screenshots it looks like the sampling rate has gone from 2566kbps for the small file to 10480 for the second.
That will certainly increase the file size.
Can you change this anywhere?

17-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Your compression ratios or whatever (video/sound quality) it is have changed or something. Look on the right side columns. kbps 2566 and 10480 and whats that above it 35%/65% and 44%/56%. Sorry, I dont know the software but can you change these settings manually?

17-04-2012, 01:02 PM
CYaBro, posted a second before me lol, yeah, what he said :)

17-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Thanks guys - that was basically what I see too, but I'm a bit clueless on how to fix it! :lol: I can guarantee there were no settings changed in virtualdub between the rendering of those two files, but possible the xvid codec may have been updated.

I'll have another dig through the VD settings and see if I can find anything more.

17-04-2012, 03:03 PM
AutoGK might be easier for you, you can set a target size or quality and everything else is pretty much automatic. It hasn't been developed in quite a while but for just creating Xvid files it still works well. Myself I'm moving to MP4 or MKV using H.264 so I don't play with Xvid much any more.

17-04-2012, 03:06 PM
Do you know if AutoGK will handle the .mov format though?

17-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Do you know if AutoGK will handle the .mov format though?
Hmm good point, in theory it uses the same codecs as media player to decode whatever but .mov is not one of those. Maybe that wasn't such a useful suggestion.

17-04-2012, 04:06 PM
No, all good. :)

Virtualdub doesn't open .mov files natively either, a plugin has to be installed. I did use AutoGK briefly a few years ago, and if my memory serves me correctly, the plugins for it were fairly limited.

17-04-2012, 05:34 PM
What about handbrake?

18-04-2012, 07:17 AM
Handbrake won't output Xvid or avi they abandoned it for MP4 or MKV which are better anyway but not as universally compatible.

18-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Yeah - also the editing side of things in VD is very useful. I would normally be very happy to use .mkv but the video needs to be playable on several devices that don't support it - .avi is the easiest for this particular application.

Just had a thought - don't know why I hadn't thought of this before. I'll try doing the same thing on another PC, and see if I get the same results.

18-04-2012, 09:36 AM
I use the free Streamclip for simple editing like topping and tailing, chopping out ads, and repairing the timecode.(even though I've got CS5.5 and Pinnacle14).

I save the Streamclip output as mpg and later convert to x264 in XmediaRecode. But apparently Streamclip can save as x264, as this Google screenshot shows:

kahawai chaser
18-04-2012, 10:23 AM
There is also virtualdubmod (http://virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net/) a upgrade, where it incorporated utilities/add-ons. It added more formats, scripts, etc, without users needing to add them for video editing. AviSyth (http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Main_Page) was used a a lot with Virtualdub and also for TMPGEnc. I never used the new mod, but I would think would be easier, faster for editing, than when I used to add manual scripts with Avisyth.

18-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks everyone - got plenty to try. I'll report back when I've spent a bit of time with it. :)