PDA

View Full Version : Dell Optiplex SX270

aidanmaz
16-04-2012, 08:10 AM
I have an old dell optiplex sx270 with 1gb ram, and a 10gb ide hard drive. I clearly couldnt keep to 10gb, and had to use an external usb to boot ubuntu off so i can save my stuff. I also have a 2tb drive with about 250gb of data on it. Is there a way to get windows XP on this 2tb so i can use windows again? or is there a way to move the ubuntu partions to the other external without losing any data. Its a pretty good machine aside from the hard drive side and if it was sata i would have no issues, but it isnt so i have to use external drives.

Any suggestions that dont involve buying an ide drive would be great.

Speedy Gonzales
16-04-2012, 08:46 AM
If its like the HP I fixed a few yrs ago, I had to update the BIOS so it could see 80 GB. When I installed 2000 on it. Otherwise it would crash the system. If it came with the 10 GB, it (probably) wont see anything above 60GB (or 20 GB). Unless you update the BIOS first. You could (if you've got another system), remove that 10 GB. And connect it to it. Then copy what you want, then format it. Have you got an xp CD?? You cant copy it from the 10 Gb to the 2 TB