PDA

View Full Version : cleaning my mouse

28-10-2001, 05:26 PM
Hi all, just a quick question,I have a mouse that badky needs the rollers cleaned...(I think). Whats the best way and stuff to do it? It has suddenly become very jumpy and doesn't work half the time and is rapidly becoming frustrating...and no its not dirty from the images its been clicking on either. Your help would be grtaefully appreciated

28-10-2001, 05:54 PM
Just take the ball out and carefully scrape the gunk off the rollers with something like a small screwdriver of paper clip. Make sure the gunk comes out and doesn't fall into the mouse. Alternatively, buy an optical mouse. way less cleaning. I use an A4 tech - about NZ$50.

28-10-2001, 06:46 PM
If its really bad consider pulling it apart and giving it a clean out.

There are lots of places where crud builds up inside.

28-10-2001, 08:07 PM
How about changing over to an optical mouse? Then you don't ever have to look at those rollers!

28-10-2001, 08:15 PM
Whilst cleaning the build up off the rollers I also use a pair of tweezers to remove the hair and fluff from the roller edges.

I used to have problems when I was using a shiny plastic mouse pad. I was forever lifting it off the pad, replacing it and giving it a quick slide around to make it work positively.
Since purchasing a neoprene type, the kind with a nylon fabric upper similar to diving suit material, that problem has totally ceased.

It is an Accodata brand and I think it cost $1.95 or thereabouts from the Warehouse Stationary.

28-10-2001, 08:24 PM
Thabks guys, followed the advice and the mouse is saved from decorating the floor...I might have to hold off on the optical mouse for a bit tho...the wife is muttering something about spending all my money on the damn machine already....better not tempt fate just yet

29-10-2001, 12:04 PM
remove the mouse ball.

Clean the two rollers (a finger nail is quite effective) by scraping sideways along roller & by slightly turning the roller at the same time.

Wash the ball in warm water & clean with a lint-free cloth.

Isopropyl alcohol (available from a chemist, Dick Smith, etc) can be applied to the rollers with a cotton bud to clean stubborn dirt.

29-10-2001, 07:31 PM
Excel in all we do. This memo is from an unnamed computer company. It went to all field engineers about a computer peripheral problem. The author of this memo was quite serious; the engineers rolled on the floor.

MEMO: Mouse balls are now available as a FRU (Field Replacement Unit).

Therefore, if a mouse fails to operate or should it perform erratically, it may need a ball replacement.
Because of the delicate nature of this procedure, replacement of mouse balls should only be attempted by properly trained personnel.
Before proceeding, determine the type of mouse balls by examining the underside of the mouse.
Domestic balls will be larger and harder than foreign balls.
Ball removal procedures differ depending upon the manufacturer of the mouse.
Foreign balls can be replaced using the pop-off method. Domestic balls are replaced by using the twist-off method.
Mouse balls are not usually static sensitive. However, excessive handling can result in sudden discharge.
Upon completion of ball replacement, the mouse may be used immediately.
It is recommended that each replacer have a pair of spare balls for maintaining optimum customer satisfaction.
Any customer missing his balls should suspect local personnel of removing these necessary items.

29-10-2001, 11:55 PM
i always only use a eraser on the end of a pencil. this cleans very well without the use of solvents. a good mouse pad (accodata) kept clean always helps. with these being as cheap as they are i replace mine every few months. i dont need an optical mouse either, a chaep clean mouse is just as effective.
cheers :)

30-10-2001, 12:37 PM
Fordet the optical mouse ( you would be better of spending the money on something more worthwhile, like a bigger RAM ) Keep your mouse clean at all times, and invest in a 3M Precise Mousing Surface.... also adjust your mouse speed to full on

30-10-2001, 12:38 PM
Forget the optical mouse ( you would be better off spending the money on something more worthwhile, like a bigger RAM ) Keep your mouse CLEAN at all times, and invest in a 3M Precise Mousing Surface.... also adjust your mouse speed to full on