PDA

View Full Version : Quick thoughts on new laptop

Buff_K
11-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Hi there.
A friend asked me to have a look at a new lappy for her as hers has packed up.
She only really needs it for her school work - no gaming or anything. So web browsing and word etc. Only issue is she's on a SUPER tight budget (ideally around $600 - $700).

I've had a wee look, the cheapest ones are still using Celerons so I don't wanna recommend that. What are some quick thoughts on these two I've found:

http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/computers/notebook-computers/notebook-packages/acer-as57334gb-15-6-4gb-upgrade-package/prod115198.html
http://www.eoneonline.co.nz/shop/Laptop/hp/04563.html

Greven
11-04-2012, 09:32 PM
That is more of a netbook budget. Cheap laptops use cheap components that are likely to pack up after a couple of years.
Apart from teh expected lifetime, I have also found that laptops with better specs than you would expect for the price run like a dog. They even run like a dog with all the bundled crap removed & I haven't been able to work out why so far.

Iantech
11-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Out of the two, the Acer is the better bet in my personal opinion. All I seem to be repairing these days are cheap HP Compaq rubbish - currently I have 4 under the work bench all with stuffed motherboards, all only a few years old. I wouldnt recommend any of the Compaq range to anyone. Acer - while not the fastest horse in the race, I havent had to many issues with of late. Saying that, there are good and bad in any brand and model, its bit of luck really, but I think the odds are better with Acer.
Just my opinion. Good luck.

Greven
11-04-2012, 10:41 PM
I have seen a lot of cheap Compaq CQ* laptops come through my work too, but they have all been treated so poorly that it is hard to tell if it was suicide or murder. Acer have promised to stop making cheap crap, but they have already tarnished their name so I have noticed a lot less people buying them.

The HP Probook range is much better than the laptops available in most retails stores & my supplier insists that the Acer Travelmate range is good too, but I'm sticking with HP for now. I have asked a harvey norman salesman why they don't stock the business range of any brand & apparently it is because they buy direct from the manufacturer instead of the NZ wholesaler & they only have access to the home models. I suspect there are some complicated deals between the Harvey Norman head office & HP, Acer etc. behind that strange situation.

Nomad
11-04-2012, 11:12 PM
Bond and Bond advertised the Pro Books some months ago in Welly :)

Maybe also that many consumers don't really look at the pro range. They look at specs and prices. I have seen quite a bit of Mac ProBooks at uni here, maybe is it that with Mac there is quite a bit of spec difference between MacBooks and Mac ProBooks :confused:

Seen the very occasional Lenovo Thinkpad that's a pro laptop but that's all really. But then again Mac ProBooks are sold at all the chain stores unlike IBM's compatibles.

Slankydudl
12-04-2012, 12:36 AM
If your spending a small amount of money on a laptop especially just dont expect it to last for a terribly long time. The main difference between a macbook and a pro version is the build quality. I have a macbook pro that is 5 years old and still runs like a charm compaired to new computers of equivelent specs. Abviously its underpowered but still works for rugular use.

wratterus
12-04-2012, 07:48 AM
For $799 you should be able to find a Toshiba Satellite C660 or similar. Perfect for school etc, no frills, robust and reliable.

Buff_K
12-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Ok, thanks for your thoughts.

I couldn't find that Toshiba, but what about this Samsung at $800: http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/samsung-np300e5a-a09au-laptop.html

I'm pretty sure it'll do.

Greven
12-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Don't buy a Samsung - they are a pain in the ass to get parts for & the universal power packs don't work with them.