PDA

View Full Version : MS Excel

28-10-2001, 12:43 PM
Hi, I have MS Excel 97 and 2000, ands i'm just wondering if anyone knows how i can protect INDIVIDUAL cells, not the whole document ('cos i already know that) is it possible or not, if yes how?

28-10-2001, 01:13 PM
As far as I am aware, you cannot protect individual cells. You can protect sheets, or workbooks though.

I believe the logic for this is that you can modify any cell by deleting the row or column it is in, so in order to protect one cell, you have to protect the entire row and column, but then if you insert a blankc row or column, it changes the protection to a different column or row, so you would have to protect every row and every column to prevent this.

Hence the worksheet protection

28-10-2001, 01:21 PM
Hi s y,

Excel has a funny way of letting you protect indiividual cells. What it makes you do is protect the entire sheet, and then specify which cells you DON'T want protected.

To do this, you select all of the cells you don't want protected (A good way of doing this is to select all the cells, unprotect them and then re-protect the ones you want protected).

Once you have selected the cells to be unprotected, click on Format>Cells... or press CTRL+1.

A dialog box will appear. Click on the protection tab, and then uncheck the boxes marked 'locked' and 'hidden'.

Now if you protect your spreadsheet as normal (from the tools menu) you will still be able to edit the contents of the cells. However, you will not be able to selct Format Cells... whilst the sheet is protected.

To protect the individual cells, unprotect the sheet, and select format cells... and recheck the box marked 'locked'. Then when you reprotect the sheet, you will be unable to edit the contents of that cell.

Hope this is what you wanted. If not send more info.

Cheers

G P