PDA

View Full Version : Win 8 networking

linw
27-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Anyone found networking quirks? I installed it on an old 2.4GHz P4 with 1.5GB RAM and an old IDE 40GB drive. It runs surprisingly well on this old crap. Gone are the days when you had to upgrade hardware for a new release.

However, as is my usual habit, I got rid of the Home Group it created but found the W8 could not find my W7 shares. My W7 and Vista boxes could see the W8 shares and each other's shares. The error was 80070035 Windows cannot access \\Win7name. You could ping Win7name and it showed in nbtstat and net view but nothing I tried got it away from the error.

So, I reinstalled it and let it do its share thing with the Home Group and then it could see the W7 shares and every box could see every other box, in spite of not being in the Home Group.

Bang goes the theory of having to be part of the Home Group to see shares in the Home Group. Even Vista had no problem.

Interested in other's findings.

wainuitech
27-03-2012, 02:15 PM
No problems with networking anything, with or without home group active, I set it up as if it were windows 7 in the sharing permissions / advanced sharing and all sweet, no asking for homegroup passwords or accounts.

Have tried in combo with XP, Vista, W7.

linw
27-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Yea, I set mine up 'as per usual' without Home Group but I couldn't get it to see the W7 shares no matter how much fiddling I did. It just couldn't resolve the \\W7name. It was fine with \\ip addr, though.

Funny thing is with the W8 Home Group there was no asking for passwords etc - it just worked as the only group member.

linw
27-03-2012, 09:18 PM
More info. Logging in as a local user enables sharing with the W7 box but logging in with the Microsoft identity does not. Weird. No idea why that is.